So where are we then
So Boris' plan to railroad parliament into accepting his deal without reading it (Trust me Guv) hasn't worked. The only reasons why he wouldn't want it read properly and rushed through would be a) he wanted to show he could meet his impossible date (vanity), b) he didn't want the detail read because there are some surprises in there that he wanted to slip through (underhand), or c) he actually doesn't want it to go through because he still want no deal but has to make a show of trying and someone else is stopping him (dishonesty).

I think accepting the deal in principle has made another referendum less likely, and an election more likely. Boris has no intention of discussing the points over a reasonable period because he knows he won't get it through. There will be many nasty surprises in there that he will have to discuss and be shown up for what he is - a conman, full of bluster and catchphrases but with no substance to discuss what is best for the country.

All along he is trying to lay the blame at someone else's door and at each stage they appear to be one step ahead of him. What happens next is anyone's guess.
(10-23-2019, 09:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote: So Boris' plan to railroad parliament into accepting his deal without reading it (Trust me Guv) hasn't worked. The only reasons why he wouldn't want it read properly and rushed through would be a) he wanted to show he could meet his impossible date (vanity), b) he didn't want the detail read because there are some surprises in there that he wanted to slip through (underhand), or c) he actually doesn't want it to go through because he still want no deal but has to make a show of trying and someone else is stopping him (dishonesty).

I think accepting the deal in principle has made another referendum less likely, and an election more likely. Boris has no intention of discussing the points over a reasonable period because he knows he won't get it through. There will be many nasty surprises in there that he will have to discuss and be shown up for what he is - a conman, full of bluster and catchphrases but with no substance to discuss what is best for the country.

All along he is trying to lay the blame at someone else's door and at each stage they appear to be one step ahead of him. What happens next is anyone's guess.

A general election is the plan so he can push through a low regulation, low wage deal or I suspect preferably no deal. The sheep will happily follow him off the cliff but he will be safe and well with a bungee rope and a silly little Union Jack in his hand.
(10-23-2019, 09:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote: So Boris' plan to railroad parliament into accepting his deal without reading it (Trust me Guv) hasn't worked. The only reasons why he wouldn't want it read properly and rushed through would be a) he wanted to show he could meet his impossible date (vanity), b) he didn't want the detail read because there are some surprises in there that he wanted to slip through (underhand), or c) he actually doesn't want it to go through because he still want no deal but has to make a show of trying and someone else is stopping him (dishonesty).

A general election is the plan so he can push through a low regulation, low wage deal or I suspect preferably no deal. The sheep will happily follow him off the cliff but he will be safe and well with a bungee rope and a silly little Union Jack in his hand.

Talking of flag waving seems there was quite a lot of it at the weekend, just a different extended border nationalistic flag. 

And talking of nationalistic what do think about the EU  appointing a "Commissioner for Protecting our European Way of Life" to in the words of the man himself "to protect it's borders". I'm not sure if this the Spanish, French or German European way of life or if it's just another way to conflate the EU actually being European (they are not of course, not all European countries are member), or if they actually do want every country to be the same, but can you just imagine the outrage and shouts of racism if we appointed a minister for "protecting the British way of life".
I would assume GE next to try and get a majority. It doesn't matter that he's a conman or a liar, or that a Tory government would mean 5 more years of suffering for the most vulvernable. People don't care about that any more they just want to be seen to have 'won' and I fear that he'd win a decent majority.

I do wonder if everyone used to be this way ie become entrenched into a position and follow blindly regardless of the mounting evidence. I'd like to think that if new evidence came to light that Brexit was going to actually be a good thing I'd be able to change my mind but who knows.
(10-23-2019, 10:08 AM)strawman Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Talking of flag waving seems there was quite a lot of it at the weekend, just a different extended border nationalistic flag. 

And talking of nationalistic what do think about the EU  appointing a "Commissioner for Protecting our European Way of Life" to in the words of the man himself "to protect it's borders". I'm not sure if this the Spanish, French or German European way of life or if it's just another way to conflate the EU actually being European (they are not of course, not all European countries are member), or if they actually do want every country to be the same, but can you just imagine the outrage and shouts of racism if we appointed a minister for "protecting the British way of life".

Looks like its just a badly titled role - the actual role is about immigration, security and education. I agree the naming of it is pretty crap, appointing someone to have a role in orchestrating a joined up approach across Europe on security and immigration doesn't appear to be a bad thing. I don't think the role will include lobbying for mandatory Morris dancing in the UK on May 1st.

Nothing to see here.

(10-23-2019, 10:12 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: I would assume GE next to try and get a majority. It doesn't matter that he's a conman or a liar, or that a Tory government would mean 5 more years of suffering for the most vulvernable.  People don't care about that any more they just want to be seen to have 'won' and I fear that he'd win a decent majority.

I do wonder if everyone used to be this way ie become entrenched into a position and follow blindly regardless of the mounting evidence. I'd like to think that if new evidence came to light that Brexit was going to actually be a good thing I'd be able to change my mind but who knows.

Tis right I'm afraid Chammy, people do seem afraid to step back from their position and look at things with a fresh pair of eyes. And I agree, if someone could show me the benefits of leaving I'd consider my views, but no-one appears to have much in the way of obvious benefits to leaving at hand to share with me.
One of the things parliament will have to scrutinise is whether significant items have been moved from the legally binding (once it's agreed) withdrawal agreement and into the political declaration, which is a statement of intent but non-binding. There have already been some suggestions of text being moved around and that the overall effect is to make Johnson's package somewhat different to the 'May's deal, slightly tweaked' which was initially suggested.

It's why more than a few days is needed: nothing can be taken on trust where Johnson and his cohort are concerned.
Trust has gone from all sides of the divide, Boris hopes to be the people's hero whilst throwing 
Those that might support him under the next bus. Corbyn hopes to hang in long enough to jump
On a passing policy that might make him look like a leader.

It's no longer about leaving or remaining, who or what is right, more like what is going to be left.
(10-23-2019, 03:51 PM)Beano Wrote: Trust has gone from all sides of the divide, Boris hopes to be the people's hero whilst throwing 
Those that might support him under the next bus. Corbyn hopes to hang in long enough to jump
On a passing policy that might make him look like a leader.

It's no longer about leaving or remaining, who or what is right, more like what is going to be left.

It’s all about ‘winning’ the trouble is the winner receives a prize that’s worse than the one it already has.
I've no idea where this will all end when the referee's whistle blows, though the game itself is less important than the narration of it. I'm pretty confident that any deal will see the UK measurably worse off, and no deal much worse off than under the status quo.

Meanwhile, the EU--shorn of the UK's moderating influence--does seem to be jumping down its own political rabbit hole by beginning membership talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia. Consolidation would probably be a better move than messianistic expansion.

Therein lies the pity of Brexit: the UK does worse theough its withdrawal, and the EU does worse by having its equlibrium unchecked.
Not sure if this even counts as satirical any more...

Brexit