Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Wood
(05-19-2017, 10:43 AM)superbobby Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Who is the player to take this year from the relegated Championship club this year? Last years 
members Lookman and Holding, the previous year McClean!

Whilst I agree with your point, the first guys on that list got promoted with their clubs. The younger players at the end of the list were signed for a much smaller fee.

Buying a player for 8 figures adds a huge amount of pressure while they try to settle into a new team. They have to hit the ground running to justify the price tag.

Lookman signed for Everton for a fee of £7.5m rising to £11m on a four-and-a-half year contract. A larger fee than Alli, King, Gray, Vardy, Holt and Lambert.

Apart from that your correct.... Big Grin
(05-19-2017, 09:07 AM)Duffmon Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 08:59 AM)Cuzer14 Wrote: We could always accept he's improved his game?

Cuzer

He has undoubtedly. I still can't shake the feeling that there's an air of Jordan Rhodes about him. Great in the Championship, not quite up to the Prem.

Good posts both of these. Think he has clearly improved immeasurably and it would be cretinous for people to assume a club would be signing the same player who left the Hawthorns about 5 years ago.

I also agree with Duff that he would probs come up a bit short in the Prem.

Also and totally incidentally; I wish I was wank enough at football to score 27 goals in the Championship and earn tens of thousands of pounds a week for my efforts. The kid has really pushed on and we should be proud of the part we played in his development.
I don't accept there is a chasm between the dozen or so makeweights of the Prem and the Championship. It's part of the modern hype. Plenty of decent championship players who haven't had the break.
How many Burnley players have made the step up? I don't know for sure but I bet it's half the team.
Some players mature and get better. Wood was 18/19 when he was playing for us.
Guy could be good and best of luck to him.
FWIW Wood looks like he has come on leaps and bounds to me.

If the fee was right I wouldn't be against him coming back. Any striker in our set up though is going to have to live of scraps.
Even with what I said earlier, he has clearly improved and for the right deal I'd be happy to take him.
(05-19-2017, 01:34 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote: I don't accept there is a chasm between the dozen or so makeweights of the Prem and the Championship. It's part of the modern hype. Plenty of decent championship players who haven't had the break.
How many Burnley players have made the step up? I don't know for sure but I bet it's half the team.
Some players mature and get better. Wood was 18/19 when he was playing for us.
Guy could be good and best of luck to him.

Spot on that.
(05-19-2017, 11:55 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 10:43 AM)superbobby Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Who is the player to take this year from the relegated Championship club this year? Last years 
members Lookman and Holding, the previous year McClean!

Whilst I agree with your point, the first guys on that list got promoted with their clubs. The younger players at the end of the list were signed for a much smaller fee.

Buying a player for 8 figures adds a huge amount of pressure while they try to settle into a new team. They have to hit the ground running to justify the price tag.

Lookman signed for Everton for a fee of £7.5m rising to £11m on a four-and-a-half year contract. A larger fee than Alli, King, Gray, Vardy, Holt and Lambert.

Apart from that your correct.... Big Grin

I didn't put Lookman in bold Cool
(05-19-2017, 08:59 AM)Cuzer14 Wrote: We could always accept he's improved his game?

Cuzer

Most definitely has. Much better positioning, constant handful in the box with his movement, ball not bouncing off his feet as much and all this made him prolific last season.

But this was over only one season in the second tier and £20 million is a lot for a 25 year old with no real consistency over multiple seasons
He lacks pace but he has many other attributes that would be perfect for a TP team. I would resign him but not at that price.
(05-19-2017, 01:37 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Even with what I said earlier, he has clearly improved and for the right deal I'd be happy to take him.

It would be silly money. Leeds would be exchanging 20+ goals and their main hope of reaching the playoffs at least for cash. It's a no from me anyhow as I don't see him being good enough - just like your other recommendations Brown and Rondon  Wink