Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Wood
(05-19-2017, 08:59 AM)Cuzer14 Wrote: We could always accept he's improved his game?

Cuzer

He has undoubtedly. I still can't shake the feeling that there's an air of Jordan Rhodes about him. Great in the Championship, not quite up to the Prem.
Reminds me of Rob Hulse. Strong & capable of grabbing goals. But not mobile enough for the top flight.
Had to laugh, thanks to our resident Stokie I will have a read of The Oatcake. They've got a new thread on there called 'Chris Woods from Leeds'

Its WOOD FFS !!!   Big Grin

Looks like it's not just our lot that do it. Mind you some of ours still can't spell fuckin Olsson.
Most of his goals this season have been 'right place, right time'. Not that there's anything wrong in that, but you wonder how he'd get on against the meaner defences in the Prem. 3-4 yard tap-ins are a rarity in this league.

Hope he proves us wrong though, seems like a decent lad.
Can we recall him from his loan?
(05-19-2017, 09:07 AM)Duffmon Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 08:59 AM)Cuzer14 Wrote: We could always accept he's improved his game?

Cuzer

He has undoubtedly. I still can't shake the feeling that there's an air of Jordan Rhodes about him. Great in the Championship, not quite up to the Prem.

Yes, there's a long list of those players. Lee Hughes was another.
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 08:05 AM)Beano16 Wrote: People might have been saying much the same thing about Deeney when he was with Walsall, "might
make the step up to the Championship" ... now established in the Premier and having left Walsall for
250K clubs like us are seem willing to pay £20m+

The fact that at least 3 Premier clubs are sniffing around Wood means the fee will be stupid if he does
move.

Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Who is the player to take this year from the relegated Championship club this year? Last years 
members Lookman and Holding, the previous year McClean!

Jason Lowe who we were linked with earlier in the season has just been released by Blackburn,
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Who is the player to take this year from the relegated Championship club this year? Last years 

Whilst I agree with your point, the first guys on that list got promoted with their clubs. The younger players at the end of the list were signed for a much smaller fee.

Buying a player for 8 figures adds a huge amount of pressure while they try to settle into a new team. They have to hit the ground running to justify the price tag.
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 08:05 AM)Beano16 Wrote: People might have been saying much the same thing about Deeney when he was with Walsall, "might
make the step up to the Championship" ... now established in the Premier and having left Walsall for
250K clubs like us are seem willing to pay £20m+

The fact that at least 3 Premier clubs are sniffing around Wood means the fee will be stupid if he does
move.

Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Elington, Earnie, Hughes, Hulse, Bednar, Big Ish, Gestede... indicate that it often doesn't work
(05-19-2017, 10:43 AM)superbobby Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 09:02 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Lambert, Holt, Vardy, Andre Gray, Josh King and Alli tend to indicate that the step up can be made

Whilst I agree with your point, the first guys on that list got promoted with their clubs. The younger players at the end of the list were signed for a much smaller fee.

You make a very good point, something I had not noticed. There are probably not that many Championship strikers signed by Premier clubs. Somebody mentioned Gestede but he was with a Premier club last year (even if a very weak one!) I cannot think of many others apart from HRK!

Buying a player for 8 figures adds a huge amount of pressure while they try to settle into a new team. They have to hit the ground running to justify the price tag.