Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leicester losing
(05-18-2017, 10:38 PM)Duffmon Wrote: So this season has been a success then?

We stayed up comfortably. By the ONLY measure our club currently judges itself it has been a resounding success.

I'm sure the rush to get those cheap STs will subsequently follow...
Strange season really it started badly finished badly but the middle half was very good. Everyone would have settled for top half at the start

No, we haven't progressed. How on earth would 8th/9th or 10th be any better than 14th? It's a shambles, we should be in Champions League spaces.

Boring dinosaur football.

Big Grin

Yes and no amount of bleating from Shrek will make it otherwise.
For me Pulis came in during a time of turmoil and vulnerability for the club, IMO we would have gone down that season.
Moving on from that he had to contend with the left overs of some poor management and shocking recruitment that he inherited and an owner who was holding the purse strings very tightly due to the possible sale of the club, this lingered on for 2 years.
In spite of all that he has managed to offload the deadwood, go an entire season with one fit premier league striker and still deliver a top half finish.

The cups were a disappointment this season but that's football, his record in the cups is generally good.

For me that's a good job very well done, if people don't agree they don't have to go. Simple.
(05-19-2017, 08:19 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Where am I bleating? It is a success by the only measure our club judges itself...

I've made my decision on what that means to me. Others can do whatever the fuck they like with that...

(05-19-2017, 08:34 AM)Baggie66 Wrote: For me Pulis came in during a time of turmoil and vulnerability for the club, IMO we would have gone down that season.
Moving on from that he had to contend with the left overs of some poor management and shocking recruitment that he inherited and an owner who was holding the purse strings very tightly due to the possible sale of the club, this lingered on for 2 years.
In spite of all that he has managed to offload the deadwood, go an entire season with one fit premier league striker and still deliver a top half finish.

The cups were a disappointment this season but that's football, his record in the cups is generally good.

For me that's a good job very well done, if people don't agree they don't have to go. Simple.

That is ok but ignores the fact that Pulis himself has had full control over transfers since he joined. We have a small squad and rely on a small group of players because that's how he wants it.

But yes. He's done his job well.

(05-19-2017, 08:01 AM)Lightnin Wrote:

No, we haven't progressed. How on earth would 8th/9th or 10th be any better than 14th? It's a shambles, we should be in Champions League spaces.

Big Grin

We got 43 points last season, 44 the season before, this season we'll end up on 45-48.

One or two results either way isn't huge progression is it? We are as far away from relegation and doing something truly exceptional as ever.

But carry on...
(05-19-2017, 08:34 AM)Baggie66 Wrote: For me Pulis came in during a time of turmoil and vulnerability for the club, IMO we would have gone down that season.

A real good indepth drill down of what too few look at. In an era of instant this and instant that, Albion have played the long game and it's made us a stable club.
Pulis has cleared a mess up, at times it's been boring, but this season was less boring and at times quite entertaining.
As you've said he's done it with a thread bare squad.
The guy deserves credit in the big scheme and that's what most reasonable people recognize.
(05-19-2017, 08:41 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:

Where am I bleating? It is a success by the only measure our club judges itself...

I've made my decision on what that means to me. Others can do whatever the fuck they like with that...

That is ok but ignores the fact that Pulis himself has had full control over transfers since he joined. We have a small squad and rely on a small group of players because that's how he wants it.

Big Grin

We got 43 points last season, 44 the season before, this season we'll end up on 45-48.

One or two results either way isn't huge progression is it? We are as far away from relegation and doing something truly exceptional as ever.

But carry on...

How huge do you expect the progression to be? Bearing in mind that whilst we try to progress, so does every other team in the division. They don't stand still and expect you to catch them up at some point you know? We were at a point in a position to challenge Everton for 7th until we went to Goodison and it's been pretty much downhill since (Arsenal game apart) where we've done our usual and not picked up the points. I still think we maybe missed a trick in the January window for a another forward so we could really challenge a bit better than we did but apart from that we've been pretty solid.
(05-19-2017, 08:41 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:

Big Grin

But carry on...

"He wants a small squad" I have never heard him say this, I've heard him say in an ideal world he wouldn't have the kids on the bench and would have preferred them out on loan in the Championship. Source BBC WM interview. If he does want a small squad I imagine he wants to be afforded the opportunity to have a quality experienced 18 plus kids. 

"He's in full control of transfers" Is this true? I doubt the master plan was to have only one striker at the club. Who was setting the budget? Who told him that Berahino couldn't be sold? Did he really want Kanu, Pritchard and Galloway? When Williams said "he wanted five and he got five" does that reflect that TP is in full control of transfers?

The points total comparison between seasons is Joshism logic. 

You've lost the argument time and time again but you keep trying, fair play.
"He's in full control of transfers" was pretty much put to bed with John Williams infamous "Tony wanted 5, Tony got 5" statement.