Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAO Brexiteers, Brexit Bus Terminus
(05-18-2017, 03:17 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 03:10 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: For us to have the same access to their markets as they do to ours. Obviously the lower the tariff the better for both parties but if they wish to put a 20% tariff on our £240 billion worth of goods then we reciprocate on their £302 Billion worth into the UK so be it. (2016 figures Full Fact)
I would hope that the negotiators and politicos on both sides would see sense though the rhetoric coming from over the channel, IF reported correctly, does seem to suggest that an element of vindictiveness is the order of their day. Akin to chopping our head off and putting it on a spike at Calais as a warning to others not to dare try and leave.
I can't believe, however, they would risk the £60 Billion per year trade surplus with us.

There doesn't need to be much of a negotiation beyond "we'd like to trade with you on the same basis as before."

I'd genuinely love to hear a good reason why the response would be anything other than yes. The ONLY reasons would be political vindictiveness, which would confirm what a nasty unaccountable organisation the EU is. In almost a year no one has been able to explain another reason why an FTA couldn't be agreed in 5 minutes or less.

Our exports to the EU make up 52% of our total exports. EU exports to the UK make up 16% of of the EU's total exports. Therefore, we need them more than they need us. I've never been in a negotiation other than with tradesmen doing jobs at our house, but I always assumed the senior partner (i.e. the one who who was less needy) held the upper hand in the negotiation so would expect a little more than they were giving. Yes, the EU may be feeling vindictive, but we need them more and they probably want to get back some of that £350m* per week that they will be losing. In my tiny mind, this is one of the reasons why I voted Remain.

Personally, I think common sense will largely prevail and tariffs will not be imposed but the EU will get their pound of flesh by taking away the UK's financial passport therefore forcing some of the banks to leave London.

* not my figure.
Maybe. You do realise that banks can passport through the US and other territories though - so not necessarily benfitting either of the tiny banking enclaves of Paris or Frankfurt. The sheer scale of Euro based activity that goes on in London is also a barrier to change.
(05-19-2017, 10:37 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Maybe. You do realise that banks can passport through the US and other territories though - so not necessarily benfitting either of the tiny banking enclaves of Paris or Frankfurt. The sheer scale of Euro based activity that goes on in London is also a barrier to change.

No, I did not know that.
(05-19-2017, 09:37 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 03:10 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: For us to have the same access to their markets as they do to ours. Obviously the lower the tariff the better for both parties but if they wish to put a 20% tariff on our £240 billion worth of goods then we reciprocate on their £302 Billion worth into the UK so be it. (2016 figures Full Fact)
I would hope that the negotiators and politicos on both sides would see sense though the rhetoric coming from over the channel, IF reported correctly, does seem to suggest that an element of vindictiveness is the order of their day. Akin to chopping our head off and putting it on a spike at Calais as a warning to others not to dare try and leave.
I can't believe, however, they would risk the £60 Billion per year trade surplus with us.

There doesn't need to be much of a negotiation beyond "we'd like to trade with you on the same basis as before."

I'd genuinely love to hear a good reason why the response would be anything other than yes. The ONLY reasons would be political vindictiveness, which would confirm what a nasty unaccountable organisation the EU is. In almost a year no one has been able to explain another reason why an FTA couldn't be agreed in 5 minutes or less.

Our exports to the EU make up 52% of our total exports. EU exports to the UK make up 16% of of the EU's total exports. Therefore, we need them more than they need us. I've never been in a negotiation other than with tradesmen doing jobs at our house, but I always assumed the senior partner (i.e. the one who who was less needy) held the upper hand in the negotiation so would expect a little more than they were giving. Yes, the EU may be feeling vindictive, but we need them more and they probably want to get back some of that £350m* per week that they will be losing. In my tiny mind, this is one of the reasons why I voted Remain.

Personally, I think common sense will largely prevail and tariffs will not be imposed but the EU will get their pound of flesh by taking away the UK's financial passport therefore forcing some of the banks to leave London.

* not my figure.

*not my figure

Funny how every Borexiter uses that line now ay it ?
Seemed to own the figure at the time day they
(05-20-2017, 07:18 AM)Donegal Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 09:37 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

* not my figure.

*not my figure

Funny how every Borexiter uses that line now ay it ?
Seemed to own the figure at the time day they

Nope. Do you understand the difference between gross and net? When you give your salary which figure do you use?

Without the rebate and what the EU gives us back the figure is a mere £280m a week.

Peanuts.
Ah, now there’s your problem MDP, you still expect people to be able to ‘read between the lines’ and interpret written text correctly but sadly it is not a universal skill. (Bit of a hobby horse of mine I know) Unfortunately, as both of us can testify on this site, the more blinkered and rabid on a subject a person is, the more ‘meaning’ blind they get when comprehending what is written.
(05-21-2017, 09:28 AM)John Osbourne Wrote: Ah, now there’s your problem MDP, you still expect people to be able to ‘read between the lines’ and interpret written text correctly but sadly it is not a universal skill. (Bit of a hobby horse of mine I know) Unfortunately, as both of us can testify on this site, the more blinkered and rabid on a subject a person is, the more ‘meaning’ blind they get when comprehending what is written.

I think Alanis can learn a lot from you.
(05-21-2017, 09:28 AM)John Osbourne Wrote: Ah, now there’s your problem MDP, you still expect people to be able to ‘read between the lines’ and interpret written text correctly but sadly it is not a universal skill. (Bit of a hobby horse of mine I know) Unfortunately, as both of us can testify on this site, the more blinkered and rabid on a subject a person is, the more ‘meaning’ blind they get when comprehending what is written.

So what is it that you want me to do or not do?
(05-21-2017, 06:09 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote:

So what is it that you want me to do or not do?

Nothing, just try not to be surprised when people get the wrong end of the stick or annoyed when people (e.g. remainers) read 2 + 2 and get it to reach 97. Especially the click baiters ). Says me, the one who's hackles raise whenever my jottings are misrepresented.
Some people can't help it. They see "£350 mil, let's fund the NHS2 but read "£350 mil We will definitely spend it all on the NHS".

(05-21-2017, 05:46 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I think Alanis can learn a lot from you.

I'm not quite 98 yet.
(05-21-2017, 07:15 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: Nothing, just try not to be surprised when people get the wrong end of the stick or annoyed when people (e.g. remainers) read 2 + 2 and get it to reach 97. Especially the click baiters ). Says me, the one who's hackles raise whenever my jottings are misrepresented.
Some people can't help it. They see "£350 mil, let's fund the NHS2 but read "£350 mil We will definitely spend it all on the NHS".

My guess is that the majority of these people voted leave. If you keep repeating "Let's fund the NHS" ad nauseam people assume that is what you are going to do if you win. Why didn't they suggest some other areas we could spend it on so prominently?