Ginger Baker RIP
(10-06-2019, 11:21 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Just read his obituary- sounds a complete arsehole as a bloke, but no denying the talent.

In Gerry McAvoy's book (Rory Gallagher's bass player) he tells how Brendan O'Neill hung around after a festival sound check to meet his hero Ginger Baker, who was next up for the sound engineer. This elderly and dishevelled bloke stormed over and shouted "Get the f*** off my f***ing drum stand, you c***!" That's rock'n'roll.
Did a jazz gig with him, a wild thing; but he could pack a punch, both on his kit and in real life.
If he thought the pace was dropping he’d hit that snare or bass drum so damn loud and just in the “wrong” place you woke the f up.

RIP ; you did well to live that long
Never a fan personally, but what a character. If any of you guys haven't seen that documentary on him, BBC4 or Sky Arts, it's amazing viewing.
(10-06-2019, 05:47 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Never a fan personally, but what a character. If any of you guys haven't seen that documentary on him, BBC4 or Sky Arts, it's amazing viewing.

I was going to mention that documentary - really good.

I'm not one for musicianship, preferring to admire the result of the whole, but clips I've seem of Ginger Baker on TV are just mesmerising. RIP.
(10-06-2019, 12:57 PM)Mr vertical Wrote: RIP Peter. Big fan of his.. proper Jensen driving jazzer with all the right influences and unparalleled technique in rock. Not a nice man but a great one.

Jensen Owners Club re-enacted the photo of him picking up a Jensen in West Bromwich.