Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labour 'rising star' Rebecca Long-Bailey
Why cant bin dipping be privatised?
(05-16-2017, 01:12 PM)Great Bridge Wrote: Why cant bin dipping be privatised?

I was wondering that.

In all seriousness it would make more sense for rubbish collection to be privatised, than say water, where at the moment you have in effect a private sector monopoly or Energy where private sector firms 'compete' to supply you with exactly the same product, their only way differentiate their service is by price.

Rubbish collectors could vary both the service and price they offer you, eg more collections, offering to sort out your re-cycables.

Because they have strong unions in that there Liverpool.
(05-16-2017, 01:18 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

I was wondering that.

In all seriousness it would make more sense for rubbish collection to be privatised, than say water, where at the moment you have in effect a private sector monopoly or Energy where private sector firms 'compete' to supply you with exactly the same product, their only way differentiate their service is by price.

Rubbish collectors could vary both the service and price they offer you, eg more collections, offering to sort out your re-cycables.

Markets can work in any situation and most of the time it's a positive but when you have a natural monopoly you need regulations to open it up, like BT or the energy market, or regulations that severely restrict the operations of the company so the consumer doesn't lose, like water.

With the case of bins, if everyone needs it anyway like bins, healthcare, police etc taxation is the most efficient means of securing funds.

It can and is. I didn't say govt had to do anything, just arrange for it to be done.
(05-16-2017, 04:30 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

It can and is. I didn't say govt had to do anything, just arrange for it to be done.

Exactly as G4S has shown on numerous occasions out sourcing always makes services more efficient.
"If I wanted to go down the route of alliances I could have posted McDonnell speaking beneath the flag of the Soviet Union (which millions died under), McDonnell admitting his Marxism, Corbyn with Assad, McDonnell wanting IRA 'fighters' to be honoured, Corbyn inviting IRA bombers into Parliament, Corbyn standing to mourn dead IRA members or calling racist, anti-semitic groups Hamas and Hezbollah his 'friends'."

Blah, blah blah. Many have died under the flag of this country too, MDP, under the guise of Empire-building, slavery and many various wars. I could also dredge up pics of Thatch and Pinochet, news articles from prominent tories supporting apartheid-era South Africa, any number of Saudi-UK articles. Your post means nothing.
Get off your high horse and try to present an argument that actually has substance.
(05-16-2017, 09:27 PM)Arti Wrote: "If I wanted to go down the route of alliances I could have posted McDonnell speaking beneath the flag of the Soviet Union (which millions died under), McDonnell admitting his Marxism,  Corbyn with Assad, McDonnell wanting IRA 'fighters' to be honoured, Corbyn inviting IRA bombers into Parliament, Corbyn standing to mourn dead IRA members or calling racist, anti-semitic groups Hamas and Hezbollah his 'friends'."

Blah, blah blah.  Many have died under the flag of this country too, MDP, under the guise of Empire-building, slavery and many various wars.  I could also dredge up pics of Thatch and Pinochet, news articles from prominent tories supporting apartheid-era South Africa, any number of Saudi-UK articles.  Your post means nothing.  
Get off your high horse and try to present an argument that actually has substance.

He will just call you stupid I imagine.
(05-16-2017, 09:27 PM)Arti Wrote: "If I wanted to go down the route of alliances I could have posted McDonnell speaking beneath the flag of the Soviet Union (which millions died under), McDonnell admitting his Marxism,  Corbyn with Assad, McDonnell wanting IRA 'fighters' to be honoured, Corbyn inviting IRA bombers into Parliament, Corbyn standing to mourn dead IRA members or calling racist, anti-semitic groups Hamas and Hezbollah his 'friends'."

Blah, blah blah.  Many have died under the flag of this country too, MDP, under the guise of Empire-building, slavery and many various wars.  I could also dredge up pics of Thatch and Pinochet, news articles from prominent tories supporting apartheid-era South Africa, any number of Saudi-UK articles.  Your post means nothing.  

You come out with this load of facile, idiotic nonsense and say my post means nothing...? Big Grin  Oh, man.

Another poster raised the subject of alliances when I was discussing incompetence and Long-Bailey. I pointed out that it was not really a fertile ground for him due to Corbyn's friends, etc, so compiled the above list. 

The poster and post I responded to chose a line of attack which was not really relevant to the discussion - 'alliances'. . You could definitely say that post lacks substance. Yet, you never criticised that.

As for Saudi, I am hardly enamoured by the way successive UK governments suck up to it. But that is very different from supporting its barbarity. Those ties are also because of diplomatic necessity. Corbyn and McDonnell chose to honour IRA men, have IRA men as guests, etc, with no overriding reason. It was pure choice on their part.

I am very, very partisan, this is true. But I can't imagine having biases so ingrained that I'd level opprobrium on someone who merely responds in kind whilst ignoring the initial transgression, like you've done. 

Raising Thatcher & Pinochet is  a laughably bad argument and whataboutery just for the sake of it. You have literally raised it for no decipherable, germane reason.  She is not standing for election as a potential PM or Chancellor on June 8th. Corbyn and McDonnell are. That is why their friends and support for certain groups is very relevant, here. And why what Thatcher did is not relevant when she left office 27 years ago.
The problem with your argument Mandown, is that Corbyn et al supposed support for IRA violence was a long time ago as well. Since then everyone and their mum have met (and in some cases apparently charmed) ex IRA stalwarts such as McGuniness.

If the Conservatives want to bring things up from the 80s to use against Corbyn, then it is fair enough for the Labour Party to bring up other things from the 80s, like the widespread support in the Conservative Party for Pinochet, and the more fringe support within the party (but actually far more widespread support for the Apartheid regime) for hanging Nelson Mandela.