Swansea
(10-03-2019, 01:52 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 01:34 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Seeing Nathen Jones saying he had failed to deliver what was expected of him was refreshing. No blaming every one else. I think he should get until Xmas to get some results going. Not many honest managers about nowadays.

If you listen to his post match press conferences he's very good at saying that he "takes responsibility" while simultaneously throwing the players under the bus and bigging himself up. It's by design to get sympathy.

And it's worked, because a lot of the fans seem to say he's a good guy who was just in the wrong situation. 

Stoke haven't ruined Nathan Jones as some claim, Nathan Jones is completely out of his depth and has been ruined by a lack of attention to detail and being too stubborn to adapt. It was only last week he was saying "I did the same thing at Luton and had the best win record of any team in Europe other than Man City." He's also constantly yapping about how there's "nothing wrong with the process", "the process is tried and tested" etc.

Well whether it worked or not at Luton, it's clearly it's not worked at Stoke and he's not changed anything. Maybe league one is his level

I agree. There is an old boy down the road from me who is currently managing a local U16 side. He has managed them since U11's and they have won everything there is to win at their level. They are unbeaten in 4 years.
Nothing wrong with his process for that level either.
Sadly he would be unable to take the job as he runs errands for his wife on Saturdays.

Jones is criminally out of his depth.
(10-03-2019, 01:34 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Seeing Nathen Jones saying he had failed to deliver what was expected of him was refreshing. No blaming every one else. I think he should get until Xmas to get some results going. Not many honest managers about nowadays.

If you listen to his post match press conferences he's very good at saying that he "takes responsibility" while simultaneously throwing the players under the bus and bigging himself up. It's by design to get sympathy.

And it's worked, because a lot of the fans seem to say he's a good guy who was just in the wrong situation. 

Stoke haven't ruined Nathan Jones as some claim, Nathan Jones is completely out of his depth and has been ruined by a lack of attention to detail and being too stubborn to adapt. It was only last week he was saying "I did the same thing at Luton and had the best win record of any team in Europe other than Man City." 

Well it's clearly not worked and he's not changed anything. Maybe league 1 is his level

It's difficult to know where to put the blame. As much as he appears to be a fish out of water who frankly has been a disaster, it still has to be acknowledged that his record at Luton was exceptional. Can you really go from being that good to being that bad in one easy leap?

It also has to be acknowledged that if you include Hughes' last two years, this will be four managers now who've failed to get two completely different sets of players to perform as if they're a football team. So are all these managers shit, or is there something else going on at the club?

The post-match walk to the car park is the same every week. We try to disect what we've just seen, try to put our fingers on what the fuck is going wrong, and end up just shrugging cos none of us have got a bleedin' clue. 

You're right about him now throwing players under the bus though. Before Tuesday's match he was asked if Nick Powell was a key player for Stoke. His reply was "Apparently." It was that sort of thing which largely did for Rowett. It'll be what finally does for Jones on Saturday.
(10-03-2019, 02:08 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

Stoke haven't ruined Nathan Jones as some claim, Nathan Jones is completely out of his depth and has been ruined by a lack of attention to detail and being too stubborn to adapt. It was only last week he was saying "I did the same thing at Luton and had the best win record of any team in Europe other than Man City." 

Well it's clearly not worked and he's not changed anything. Maybe league 1 is his level

It's difficult to know where to put the blame. As much as he appears to be a fish out of water who frankly has been a disaster, it still has to be acknowledged that his record at Luton was exceptional. Can you really go from being that good to being that bad in one easy leap?

It also has to be acknowledged that if you include Hughes' last two years, this will be four managers now who've failed to get two completely different sets of players to perform as if they're a football team. So are all these managers shit, or is there something else going on at the club?

The post-match walk to the car park is the same every week. We try to disect what we've just seen, try to put our fingers on what the fuck is going wrong, and end up just shrugging cos none of us have got a bleedin' clue. 

You're right about him now throwing players under the bus though. Before Tuesday's match he was asked if Nick Powell was a key player for Stoke. His reply was "Apparently." It was that sort of thing which largely did for Rowett. It'll be what finally does for Jones on Saturday.

He must be given until at least 5th November...
Big Grin.
(10-03-2019, 02:08 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: It's difficult to know where to put the blame. As much as he appears to be a fish out of water who frankly has been a disaster, it still has to be acknowledged that his record at Luton was exceptional. Can you really go from being that good to being that bad in one easy leap?

I agree that there's something much more poisonous about Stoke at the moment. I actually don't think any of the previous 4 managers are that bad in general. 

However despite this Nathan Jones really has Stoke underperforming, even taking behind the scenes stuff into account. His problem is that he has too much faith in his way of working because it went well at Luton.

If he stumbled on something that worked for Luton, then discovered it didn't work at Stoke but yet persisted then I think it's possible to go from being very good to very bad. He's just overestimated the flexibility and ability of his methods to be successful. I agree that Jones isn't the fundamental problem. He's a large part of the short term reason why you're bottom of the league but there's something much more broken behind the scenes.

Stoke is becoming a fast track for managers having their reputations ruined recently. For this reason I think it will be really difficult to attract a large pool of candidates. However, someone like Pardew or Pulis would chop their arms off for the chance to manage Stoke.

Edit: Re: my first point about his stubbornness and not being willing to change. I just heard the press conference and the journo asked : "How does this change then?" Jones: "We win a game. We win a game doing exactly the same things we're doing". Followed by 5 minutes of him talking about how strong and honest he is. "When I was at Luton, we'd win by 6 at times, 7 at times, 8 at times"
(10-03-2019, 02:29 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 02:08 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: It's difficult to know where to put the blame. As much as he appears to be a fish out of water who frankly has been a disaster, it still has to be acknowledged that his record at Luton was exceptional. Can you really go from being that good to being that bad in one easy leap?

I agree that there's something much more poisonous about Stoke at the moment. I actually don't think any of the previous 4 managers are that bad in general. 

However despite this Nathan Jones really has Stoke underperforming, even taking behind the scenes stuff into account. His problem is that he has too much faith in his way of working because it went well at Luton.

If he stumbled on something that worked for Luton, then discovered it didn't work at Stoke but yet persisted then I think it's possible to go from being very good to very bad. He's just overestimated the flexibility and ability of his methods to be successful. I agree that Jones isn't the fundamental problem. He's a large part of the short term reason why you're bottom of the league but there's something much more broken behind the scenes.

Stoke is becoming a fast track for managers having their reputations ruined recently. For this reason I think it will be really difficult to attract a large pool of candidates. However, someone like Pardew or Pulis would chop their arms off for the chance to manage Stoke.

Yep. It'll be a last chance salooner or Pulis. The club won't go for another young pup. 

A week ago I'd have looked at you funny if you'd said we'd go for Pardew. But after today it's become clear we've dropped even further into the realms of basket case, so it's emminently possible that we'd hire him. Maybe we'd get that famous Pardew bounce.  Rolleyes
I don't know if Jones is unlucky, or was simply lucky at Luton, too stubborn, out of his depth, or what it is. I have noticed that Stoke's goalkeeper appears to be worth a goal start for the opposition, though.
(10-03-2019, 07:24 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I don't know if Jones is unlucky, or was simply lucky at Luton,  too stubborn, out of his depth, or what it is.  I have noticed that Stoke's goalkeeper appears to be worth a goal start for the opposition, though.

He's been abysmal. This is why sometimes we cut Jones some slack. There was a stat a few weeks ago that Butland was only saving 38% of the shots on target. No other keeper in the division was saving less than 50%. And he's got worse since. He's been dropped twice this season already.

There's been a number of matches where we've had 15 or more chances on goal and failed to score, then the opposition have scored 2 or 3 from just 4 or 5 chances. We do really well to keep the chances to a minimum, but when a chance turns up, it ends up in our net. 

There are elements of that which must be down to coaching so you can hold Jones responsible. Other times you just think he must be pulling his hair out at the total ineptitude of professional footballers making schoolboy errors.