How's Brexit going October 2019
(10-11-2019, 06:52 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Seems like Johnson has thrown the DUP under the bus. Well that's the first time I've agreed with him.

[Image: EGi3lA4W4AEwetm.jpg:large]
[Image: EGjNMSVXkAYx36Z.jpg]

A party of c u next Tuesdays led by complete and utter c u next Tuesdays.
(10-10-2019, 07:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Nissan

I remember watching the referendum results coming in 3 years ago and, as usual, Sunderland were one of the very first to declare. I knew very early on that it was going to be a bad night when I saw how Sunderland had voted. If an area so reliant on our relationship with the EU were wanting to leave, it was inevitable what the result would be.
I'm surprised that the likes of Mark Francois aren't apoplectic about the amount of influence apparently being wielded by an unelected advisor. They're usually pretty vocal about that kind of thing...
I am stunned by how good the last couple of Tory administrations have made the EU look. I'd never have thought it possible.
(10-11-2019, 08:10 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

I remember watching the referendum results coming in 3 years ago and, as usual, Sunderland were one of the very first to declare. I knew very early on that it was going to be a bad night when I saw how Sunderland had voted. If an area so reliant on our relationship with the EU were wanting to leave, it was inevitable what the result would be.

Chase, people don't make the connection. 

I have family in that part of the country: they blame migrant workers for the lack of well-paid, secure employment, and no amount of reasoning with them has any effect. The jobs they're so nostalgic for - coal, steel, shipbuilding, heavy engineering, petrochemicals - started to disappear in big numbers more than thirty years ago, and the ones that remained have been dwindling ever since. Trying to explain that the losses of ICI, Dorman Long, and others is nothing to do with an influx of Polish plasterers or Romanian brickies is unfortunately just a waste of breath.
(10-11-2019, 08:56 AM)Ossian Wrote:

I have family in that part of the country: they blame migrant workers for the lack of well-paid, secure employment, and no amount of reasoning with them has any effect. The jobs they're so nostalgic for - coal, steel, shipbuilding, heavy engineering, petrochemicals - started to disappear in big numbers more than thirty years ago, and the ones that remained have been dwindling ever since. Trying to explain that the losses of ICI, Dorman Long, and others is nothing to do with an influx of Polish plasterers or Romanian brickies is unfortunately just a waste of breath.

That's because Brexiteers are all thick racists. 
Yours
Derek
Pfft what do they know... believe!
[Image: EGr8dzFWwAAJ2zg?format=jpg&name=900x900]

(10-11-2019, 12:43 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 08:56 AM)Ossian Wrote:

That's because Brexiteers are all thick racists. 
Yours
Derek

Some not all, some just enjoy lying to themselves.
The Journal insert of last Wednesday's Guardian had a front page article by the invariably excellent Rafael Behr. I thought this bit got it spot on...

"Brexit was only ever really a campaign. It is an idea born in protest and raised on wild, unrealistic promises. It refuses to be domesticated as government policy. May tried and failed. Johnson hasn’t seriously bothered trying. He just wants to get the issue back into the realm of empty slogans, its natural habitat.

The past three years have proved the impossibility of turning the fantasy of easy, heroic release from EU membership into a practical policy. There is no alchemy that satisfies leave voters without inflicting harm on the country and diminishing its standing in the world. But for their different reasons neither Johnson nor Corbyn wants to admit that."

The piece is worth reading in its entirety: here

As is this item from the same edition: here
[Image: img-20190925-wa0002-jpg.584]