Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oops
I see Tom Brake - one of the few Lib Dem MPs left - criticised Corbyn for saying that Marx was a great economist. Corbyn also mentioned Adam Smith and David Ricardo, those well known leftie economists, as being great.

Unfortunately for Brake someone else listed Marx as one of the top 10 great economists, step forward none other than Vince Cable.

On a wider note there does appear to be an anti knowledge/learning madness in this country. It is allowed to think that someone has had an important impact on a particular field of study without thinking they are correct. Obviously both Adam Smith and Karl Marx were great economists who are of major importance in the field of economics, doesn't mean that it would be right today to put their theories into practice.
I'd be very happy with a Ricardian Brexit Shabba..
Karl Marx was a such a great economist that his theses have failed everywhere/not been tried yet (delete as applicable).
(05-08-2017, 05:00 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote: Karl Marx was a such a great economist that his theses have failed everywhere/not been tried yet (delete as applicable).

An answer which amplifies the dangerous times we live in. Where leaning is under appreciated and diverse opinions/theories are to be discouraged if not eventually stamped out.

Start building the pyres, there's books to be burned.
(05-08-2017, 06:41 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Where leaning is under appreciated and diverse opinions/theories are to be discouraged if not eventually stamped out.

Are you describing the state of the modern NUS?
(05-08-2017, 08:42 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 06:41 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Where leaning is under appreciated and diverse opinions/theories are to be discouraged if not eventually stamped out.

Are you describing the state of the modern NUS?

No as you well know I was describing the current trend, to denounce people as enemies of the people and to call for the crushing of traitors - a phrase that was first used by Lenin.
(05-12-2017, 10:42 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: No as you well know I was describing the current trend, to denounce people as enemies of the people and to call for the crushing of traitors - a phrase that was first used by Lenin.

Those of us who have perfectly valid reasons for wanting the leave the EU & want to fundamentally reform public services in the public interest have suffered this for over 40 years.
(05-12-2017, 11:31 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-12-2017, 10:42 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: No as you well know I was describing the current trend, to denounce people as enemies of the people and to call for the crushing of traitors - a phrase that was first used by Lenin.

Those of us who have perfectly valid reasons for wanting the leave the EU & want to fundamentally reform public services in the public interest have suffered this for over 40 years.

You seriously suggesting that if Spandau does some media research he'll find any references to "people like you" being referred to as "enemies of the people" and traitors?

No you haven't.

There is no comparison with the opprobrium heaped on those still believe and campaign for staying in the EU, and any criticism made of brexit campaigners over the previous 20 years - no enemies of the people headlines for example.
(05-12-2017, 11:48 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

No you haven't.

There is no comparison with the opprobrium heaped on those still believe and campaign for staying in the EU, and any criticism made of brexit campaigners over the previous 20 years - no enemies of the people headlines for example.

Nobody minds the campaigners, those who seek to change minds, etc.  They mind people saying the referendum should  be ignored. Such people are anti-democrats. It is also instructive that all of those now saying the referendum was advisory only said that once their side had lost.

See Paddy Ashdown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bv_1z2lFlw and contrast with this: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/arti...56306.html