Labour's Brexit position
Might serve them well? EU fanatics will back the Lib Dems. But those voters in the leave heartlands of the north may stick with Labour.
(09-23-2019, 07:47 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Might serve them well? EU fanatics will back the Lib Dems. But those voters in the leave heartlands of the north may stick with Labour.

Turkey’s spring to mind
I would have preferred them to call for another referendum before an election so that the election could focus on non-Brexit issues. I can also understand them staying neutral as, in theory, they will go with the peoples decision. I can see the Lib dems being wiped out if they stick with the 'cancel Brexit' policy - even remainers like me know that isn't going to sort this out and just cause more trouble. I couldn't vote for the conservatives as they stand today so if Corbyn's approach is getting me thinking about it, then there will be a lot of centrists to my left that will also be thinking about it - it could work for him.
It would have been a perfectly rational position 3 years ago - immediately post referendum and prior to the triggering of Article 50. Unfortunately it's taken them too long to get there and it will probably now be viewed as just more fudge and delay.

Surprisingly little is said about that nine month period between the referendum and the triggering of Article 50, when little or nothing seemed to get done or even discussed. Even then the Article 50 vote only seemed to take place because it had to happen sometime and we'd probably waited long enough.

With the benefit of hindsight that's when the real groundwork should have been done; then we'd probably have had at least an idea of what we were in for before we gave formal notice to leave.
(09-23-2019, 08:59 PM)Ossian Wrote: It would have been a perfectly rational position 3 years ago - immediately post referendum and prior to the triggering of Article 50. Unfortunately it's taken them too long to get there and it will probably now be viewed as just more fudge and delay.

Surprisingly little is said about that nine month period between the referendum and the triggering of Article 50, when little or nothing seemed to get done or even discussed. Even then the Article 50 vote only seemed to take place because it had to happen sometime and we'd probably waited long enough.

With the benefit of hindsight that's when the real groundwork should have been done; then we'd probably have had at least an idea of what we were in for before we gave formal notice to leave.

Don't come here with your logical reasoning. Leave means Leave......... sort of, if we can get the perfect deal for everyone, or we'll die in a ditch before extending, but we'll see where we are when we are closer.