Is spending £95m
to try and “save” a few selected high streets worth the money or a waste? I would suggest the ‘High St.’ ship has sailed. We can’t turn t’internet off now. I don’t think tarting up (if you are still allowed to use that expression ) a few shop fronts and reducing the business rates for Ye Olde Painted Pebble shop for a year is going to help much. Turning more of the shops into affordable accommodation is a laudable aim though.
The traditional high street has numerous issues, not just from the internet but from out of town developments. There are three things that I feel would help immensely: reform how business rates are set and charged (the Liberal Democrats have made a fantastic, LVT based proposal that would help immensely), implement a more "showroom offering" and to address the artificial price bubble with the first and last suggestion addressing the issue of rent and charges levied which would help independent businesses grow. As seen by the growth around Digbeth and the Jewellery Quarter (not just limited to Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Bristol have thrived recently by promoting independent businesses, even a smaller town like Preston has come on leaps and bounds), independent businesses can thrive in the modern era if they have enough support.

With respect to the regeneration funding, I'm not sure about other cities but the money that's been pegged towards Coventry is focused on restoring and repurposing the pre-war architecture that's been largely neglected since the 30s. Coventry is a concrete shithole but it also has a shit load of beautiful Georgian and Medieval buildings in the centre, any funding in restoring that is well worth the money.
A mate of mine who works in finance said to me a couple of years ago there will be more or less no high streets in 15 years. I challenged him at the time but he was right. The only thing I can see long term is niche local businesses and increase in diverse leisure provision.
Besides, we'll be so poor arfter Brexit the High Street will be the Low Street.