Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugo Ehiogu
Shocking news - RIP. Sad
(04-21-2017, 11:22 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: Awful news.  Much like many of that kind of age makes you realise how fickle life can be.

Let's hope all marks of respect are adhered to on Sunday and that his young family get all the help and support they need.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pat Murphy deserves absolute pelters for what he said, to get that so wrong is an insult.

I have vague memories of him playing a few games in midfield for us.  The sell-on clause certainly helped us rebuild the club and is directly linked to our promotion back to top flight football.

What did that twat Murphy say?
(04-21-2017, 09:03 AM)thr1879 Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 08:51 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote: Sad news and just goes to show that we should enjoy life and not stress too much as shit can happen at any time.

RIP Ugo.

Although Villa got him for next to nothing from us someone at the Albion must have been in the office as we negotiated a decent sell percentage into the deal and when that money came in helped us fund some of the Megson success didn't it?

Terrible news...... RIP Ugo

Means bugger all now but I seem to remember it played out like this.

Ugo asked for £10 a week raise, in order to get better digs. He was happy to sign again with WBA. We refused...........Big Fat Ron got wind of this.

The 50% sell on clause was ordered by the FA as they deemed Villa's approach, well Atkinson's illegal. Over the years Deadly Doug offered us a cash sum of £250k when Hale was in charge and apparently this was rejected, even despite our dire financial position. Paul Thompson then had another offer might have been £500k or £750k. When Villa were trying to sell Ugo to Boro, I remember Thompson saying very publicly 'Mr Ellis told me take it or leave it, I said we'll leave it'. I think PT eventually settled on a fee of £3.25 million.

RIP Ugo - very sad news

Fat Ron stitched up Barmy Bobby alright - think £30k was the fee back in 1991 (whilst we later floundered in the 3rd Division).  The sell on fee was a right factor in the SGM rebuild, IIRC
I thought the way Fat Ron used his tribute on BBC news to plug his autobiography was shameful.

I don't recall seeing him play but as it was 1990-91, I must have done. I remember the commentator away at Watford taking 4 attempts to pronounce his name (he was going under his full first name then).

44 is no age, awful.
(04-22-2017, 04:46 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote: I thought the way Fat Ron used his tribute on BBC news to plug his autobiography was shameful.

I don't recall seeing him play but as it was 1990-91, I must have done. I remember the commentator away at Watford taking 4 attempts to pronounce his name (he was going under his full first name then).

44 is no age, awful.

I think Ron still struggles with the racism charge. I think in a rather ham-fisted way he wanted to make the point that he rated a black man and points to his autobiography as proof of this and all the other 'not-racist' things he did. Not to actually 'sell' the book.

It obviously still hurts. Nevertheless, it was inappropriate for him to have his own agenda at this time.

P.S For the same reason, (and it's probably been already covered) I'm not trying to get into the debate of whether Ron is or isn't racist.