Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugo Ehiogu
Same age as myself! A real shocker, RIP Ugo.
Sad news and just goes to show that we should enjoy life and not stress too much as shit can happen at any time.

RIP Ugo.

Although Villa got him for next to nothing from us someone at the Albion must have been in the office as we negotiated a decent sell percentage into the deal and when that money came in helped us fund some of the Megson success didn't it?
No age at all.

One of my mates knew him during his time with us and always said what genuinely good lad he was.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP

(04-21-2017, 08:51 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote: Sad news and just goes to show that we should enjoy life and not stress too much as shit can happen at any time.

RIP Ugo.

Although Villa got him for next to nothing from us someone at the Albion must have been in the office as we negotiated a decent sell percentage into the deal and when that money came in helped us fund some of the Megson success didn't it?

I think we came to an agreement with Villa about the percentage before he went to Boro so, although we didn't get the 50%, you're right in saying the money we did get for him certainly helped our turnaround.
Christ, I had no idea the man had died, I heard on the radio yesterday that he had taken ill at
training, but reading this has genuinely shocked me

RIP Ugo
(04-21-2017, 08:51 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote: Sad news and just goes to show that we should enjoy life and not stress too much as shit can happen at any time.

RIP Ugo.

Terrible news...... RIP Ugo

Means bugger all now but I seem to remember it played out like this.

Ugo asked for £10 a week raise, in order to get better digs. He was happy to sign again with WBA. We refused...........Big Fat Ron got wind of this.

The 50% sell on clause was ordered by the FA as they deemed Villa's approach, well Atkinson's illegal. Over the years Deadly Doug offered us a cash sum of £250k when Hale was in charge and apparently this was rejected, even despite our dire financial position. Paul Thompson then had another offer might have been £500k or £750k. When Villa were trying to sell Ugo to Boro, I remember Thompson saying very publicly 'Mr Ellis told me take it or leave it, I said we'll leave it'. I think PT eventually settled on a fee of £3.25 million.
(04-21-2017, 09:03 AM)thr1879 Wrote:

RIP Ugo.

Ugo asked for £10 a week raise, in order to get better digs. He was happy to sign again with WBA. We refused...........Big Fat Ron got wind of this.

The 50% sell on clause was ordered by the FA as they deemed Villa's approach, well Atkinson's illegal. Over the years Deadly Doug offered us a cash sum of £250k when Hale was in charge and apparently this was rejected, even despite our dire financial position. Paul Thompson then had another offer might have been £500k or £750k. When Villa were trying to sell Ugo to Boro, I remember Thompson saying very publicly 'Mr Ellis told me take it or leave it, I said we'll leave it'. I think PT eventually settled on a fee of £3.25 million.

Looking it up it appears Villa sold Ugo to Boro in Nov 2000. We bought Hoult, Appy and Balis in Jan 2001 for just over £2m for the 3.

Now maybe we would have spent that money anyway but surely the £3m+ we got from Villa for Ugo helped?

RIP Ugo.

+1. Megson was able to use the big sell on fee we got to help rebuild the side. 
Robson tried to re sign Ugo a few years later
(04-21-2017, 09:13 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:

RIP Ugo.

Looking it up it appears Villa sold Ugo to Boro in Nov 2000. We bought Hoult, Appy and Balis in Jan 2001 for just over £2m for the 3.

Now maybe we would have spent that money anyway but surely the £3m+ we got from Villa for Ugo helped?

Plus the money for Maresca at around the same time. Those two events were crucial.
(04-21-2017, 09:15 AM)Baggie66 Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 09:13 AM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:

RIP Ugo.

Plus the money for Maresca at around the same time. Those two events were crucial.

Wasn't Maresca earlier? The embryonic stage of Thompson's tenure? That money enabled him to pay off some debts and stop the club hemorrhaging £30k per week.

From the stable platform we then moved onwards, got the famous 5 deadline day transfers in and got players like Roberts and McInnes the following summer. The Ugo money then helped take us up again.
Peace negotiated the maresca deal of I remember correctly. They went to Italy and refused to be negotiated down. The Italians were apoplectic that an English side had managed to acquire one of their brightest prospects. Although into he current awful context it is irrelevant the giants of albion Renaissance were Thompson peace and megson. We struck it lucky/did brilliantly with Enzo. What appeals me is that the soldiers called Midlands football expert on radio five love spoke of Atkinson getting ugo from Sheffield Wednesday for a footballing pittance..

Appalls me and so called not the predictive text shite on this bloody phone

Ugo ffs this bloody phone how do you turn off predictive text ffs