Boro to sue EFL over Derby stadium sale
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport...-w2m38pj6h

Middlesbrough are set to sue the English Football League, alleging that it failed to enforce its financial rules over Derby County’s purchase of their own stadium.
In an unprecendented move, the Sky Bet Championship club have sent a legal letter to the EFL after Derby beat them to a play-off place last season by one point, denying Middlesbrough the chance of securing promotion to the Premier League and a potential £180 million windfall.

Derby are among a number of clubs who have been accused by rivals of exploiting a loophole in the EFL’s rules that allowed them to buy their own stadium to make themselves financially compliant.
Mel Morris, the club’s owner and chairman, used a separate company to buy Derby’s Pride Park ground for £80 million, with a deal to lease it back, when it was listed as an asset on the club’s books with a value of £41 million.
It meant that Derby reported a pre-tax profit of £14.6 million this year, when losses in excess of £13 million per year over a three-year period amount to a breach of the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules.

Middlesbrough declined to comment last night but The Times understands that, while they have not quantified their loss, their claim is based on the fact that they finished behind Derby.

The EFL board — rudderless in the absence of a new chief executive, with interim chair Debbie Jevans at the helm — met yesterday and are understood to be shaken by the development.
It caps a wretched few weeks for the organisation after the fiascos at Bury, who were expelled from the League, and Bolton Wanderers. The Derby chief executive Stephen Pearce sits on the EFL board. The Times revealed last week that the EFL, under pressure from clubs such as Middlesbrough and Leeds United, ordered an independent valuation of Pride Park. According to sources, independent valuations have also been commissioned for Sheffield Wednesday and Reading.

Last season, Birmingham City were docked nine points after recording total losses of £48.8 million from 2015-16 to 2017-18 — almost £10 million over the £39 million limit. It is within the EFL’s power to adjust a club’s financial figures if it turns out the valuation for a stadium is incorrect.

Derby stand by their own valuation of Pride Park and have consistently maintained that they are not in breach of any financial fair play rules, and believe the fact that the EFL cleared the stadium sale before it took place means they have no case to answer.
If they do face sanctions, insiders suggest there could yet be a case where the EFL has a claim against Derby in response to Middlesbrough’s against the EFL. The Middlesbrough owner Steve Gibson levelled accusations of foul play at Aston Villa, who were promoted in May and sold Villa Park to their owners a month later, and Derby at the Championship’s March meeting. Middlesbrough sent a legal letter to Derby this year.
Last night, an EFL spokesman said: “We do not comment on individual club P and S [profit and sustainability] matters.”

If only they'd target Villa as well or are they untouchable now they're in the Prem?
I thought Vile's sale of Seal Park was being investigated anyway.
I think the obvious issue with Derby is the selling of the ground for £80m when it was listed as being worth £41m. That extra £39m will be what keeps them safe in FFP I'm guessing. What were the figures at Villa?
(09-13-2019, 08:08 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I think the obvious issue with Derby is the selling of the ground for £80m when it was listed as being worth £41m. That extra £39m will be what keeps them safe in FFP I'm guessing. What were the figures at Villa?

If the figures were approved by the EFL for Derby then Gibson has a valid point. Problem is Derby could still get punished, but Boro's opportunity has been and gone.
(09-13-2019, 08:15 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:08 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I think the obvious issue with Derby is the selling of the ground for £80m when it was listed as being worth £41m. That extra £39m will be what keeps them safe in FFP I'm guessing. What were the figures at Villa?

If the figures were approved by the EFL for Derby then Gibson has a valid point. Problem is Derby could still get punished, but Boro's opportunity has been and gone.

I think this a matter of principle for Boro. They were warned about FFP, met the requirements as set by thy EFL by reducing expenditure and played by the rules while a team with lower finances flouted them at Boro's expense.
The way I read it is that there is very little likelihood of any punishment for Derby as the League have already given them the green light, and that Boro’s complaint is with the league for being impotent when it comes to enforcing their own rules.

Effectively SG feels the league should have taken action against Derby, and that had they done so Boro would have been in the top 6. I’m not sure what action the league can realistically take against Derby now they’ve already given them the all clear.

From what I’ve seen this season, neither of Derby, Boro, Wednesday nor Reading will be in the top6, so does make you wonder what the point of all this financial skulduggery is... though I’d imagine there will be a lot of disgruntled owners should Reading make a playoff push given they managed to spend £15m when they were set an embargo for financial overstretch!
Indeed. 

Also, I can't see Boro actually suing the league for any monetary value apart from costs of the case if it gets that far. If it does get that far and they win, I assume it would force the EFL to take either retrospective action or change their rules and practices.

Be interesting to see what happens, if anything of course.

That's a misnoma. It depends what value it is in the accounts at. It will be depreciated annually, but that said it should be subject to regular revaluations. Villa valued their place downwards on relegation, which incurred a big paper loss, which they could then use to offset against any future profits.

You then come down to which different valuation do you use. Red Book MV1? Vacant Possession? 180 day value? They've all been at it for years. When "Deadly" sold Villa to Lerner, I understand that he valued Shit City on a replacement basis to achieve a premier league place.
Surely HMRC will look on with interest. The club's bankers are the ones who have more interest in asset revaluations and I assume would lend on that basis.
(09-13-2019, 09:39 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Surely HMRC will look on with interest. The club's bankers are the ones who have more interest in asset revaluations and I assume would lend on that basis.

I'm guessing that the newco will be offshore. They will have to pay Stamp Duty.

Derby will have to pay tax on the gain, but I'm not an accountant so not sure if they can offset previous losses against this?