Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne Rooney
I'm with Duffmon. Rooney would stink the place out. It's a no from me
(04-21-2017, 11:27 AM)Donegal Wrote: I'm with Duffmon. Rooney would stink the place out. It's a no from me

I don't think he'd 'stink the place out'. That phrase is usually reserved for players with awful attitudes or baggage (Anelka being a prime example). Rooney, despite what folks think of him, has always been a good pro and has never been short of effort and conviction. However, it would be far more beneficial for a club like ours to invest the money he'd command in wages on more pressing issues like someone who can play up front and score.

It's a moot point anyway as he'd never come to us.
he is finished as a player in the top leagues
(04-21-2017, 10:43 AM)Duffmon Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 10:02 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:18 PM)Duffmon Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:16 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:11 PM)Duffmon Wrote: Stay the fuck away?

Still a class player. Unfortunately the Hawthorns unlikely to be his next destination.

He hasn't been class for at least 2-3 years now.

Same was said about Evans before we bought him. He's an excellent player still. Much better than anyone else currently in our side. And at 31 he's plenty of playing time ahead if him.

Who was saying that about Evans?

Rooney has been in stark decline for ages now. He's 31 and plays like a 37 year old.

When was his last great performance for club or country?

Utd fans were saying that about Evans. Moved to Albion. New manager, better confidence.
Rooney's commitment & drive never doubted. He'd be brilliant in the number 10 role for us.
Unfortunately, as others have said, little chance of us being able to land Rooney.
(04-21-2017, 01:05 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:16 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: Still a class player. Unfortunately the Hawthorns unlikely to be his next destination.

Same was said about Evans before we bought him. He's an excellent player still. Much better than anyone else currently in our side. And at 31 he's plenty of playing time ahead if him.

Rooney has been in stark decline for ages now. He's 31 and plays like a 37 year old.

Utd fans were saying that about Evans. Moved to Albion. New manager, better confidence.
Rooney's commitment & drive never doubted. He'd be brilliant in the number 10 role for us.
Unfortunately, as others have said, little chance of us being able to land Rooney.

+1
(04-20-2017, 09:16 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: Still a class player. Unfortunately the Hawthorns unlikely to be his next destination.

Evans and Rooney are in no way comparable. Evans was always a steady, if underrated, performer with years left in him when he came to us. Rooney is quite clearly burnt out at 31. You'd have to be blind not to see it.
(04-21-2017, 01:14 PM)Duffmon Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:18 PM)Duffmon Wrote: He hasn't been class for at least 2-3 years now.

Evans and Rooney are in no way comparable. Evans was always a steady, if underrated, performer with years left in him when he came to us. Rooney is quite clearly burnt out at 31. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

I'm with you on this one. Stay away. An expensive Lambert.
We are so lucky.
(04-21-2017, 01:14 PM)Duffmon Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 09:18 PM)Duffmon Wrote: He hasn't been class for at least 2-3 years now.

I don't believe he's burnt out but the one thing I would be wary about is what happened with Fletcher the weekend and what we've seen from Rooney on multiple occasions in that he'll try and play in every position in every game to take control of it. Unless that were sorted it could fuck up whatever structure we want to play with.
I'm not sure that's an entirely fair criticism of Fletcher, but a fair point made about Rooney. SAF declared him a midfield player several years ago, but that didn't make it true. Kevin Keegan suffered similar delusions of footballing ability later in his international career and England managers went along with him as a "midfield playmaker" to the detriment of results. I was gobsmacked when Sam Allardyce said, "I can't tell Wayne Rooney where to play". Can't see Pulis entertaining such a thought.
Can't believe people think we are now so good Rooney would not be an asset to us. 9 goals our strikers have scored this season. According to Duffmon Rooney has been shot for 2 seasons... yet managed to score 15 goals last season.