Oval
(09-15-2019, 05:34 PM)Ossian Wrote: Another great Ashes series in its own way; not always the very best cricket, but compelling all the same, and if a draw slightly flattered us then I can live with that. I now have that slightly empty feeling I always get when a home Ashes series comes to a close - a bit like the one when you come to the end of a truly outstanding book.

I know what you mean about feeling flat, Oss.   But, I don't agree at all the draw flattered us. We were the only side going to win the drawn game.  We threw Edgbaston away, but equally, won Headingly against the odds. It was a very even drawn series but make no mistake,  one man won these Ashes.   If I can clutch at any positive from this summer's tests,  it is the failure of Warner. Smile
But for rain at Lord's we would have won this series 3-2.

Incredible, really, given we've largely been very poor throughout. 

Overall this Summer we've won the World Cup and stopped the Aussies achieving their goal of winning the Ashes. I don't for one second buy the fact they're happy at 'retaining', they've failed. And they know it.

That's a successful Summer in my book.
Clarnet v2.0
(09-16-2019, 06:48 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote: But for rain at Lord's we would have won this series 3-2.

Overall this Summer we've won the World Cup and stopped the Aussies achieving their goal of winning the Ashes. I don't for one second buy the fact they're happy at 'retaining', they've failed. And they know it.

Disagree that the Aussies are unhappy retaining. Only a few months ago their test team was an absolute shambles. They’d have taken a 2-2 in England for sure.
(09-16-2019, 10:52 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 06:48 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote: But for rain at Lord's we would have won this series 3-2.

Disagree that the Aussies are unhappy retaining. Only a few months ago their test team was an absolute shambles. They’d have taken a 2-2 in England for sure.

I'm not so sure. All their talk in press conferences before and during the series was all about winning the Ashes, not coming here and drawing so they'd retain.
Clarnet v2.0
(09-17-2019, 06:50 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote:

I'm not so sure. All their talk in press conferences before and during the series was all about winning the Ashes, not coming here and drawing so they'd retain.

Correct, but then all my talk last week was about beating Fulham 2 or 3, one, that doesn't mean I wasn't very happy with the draw.
(09-17-2019, 07:06 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 06:50 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote:

Correct, but then all my talk last week was about beating Fulham 2 or 3, one, that doesn't mean I wasn't very happy with the draw.

Fair point!
Clarnet v2.0