Trumpism takes hold of Brexiteers
(09-08-2019, 11:23 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The elephant in the room is we already have the best deal we will ever have with Europe. It may not be the best for those that don’t want to uphold workers rights and human rights but I’m happy that is the case.

We had a pretty good deal that Cameron brought back nearly 4 years ago. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e...m-35622105

Which bits of that don't we like now. Waste of fucking three years.
(09-08-2019, 10:10 AM)Fido Wrote: My reasons for leaving were based more on the fact that accountability in politics has been so ridiculously low for such a long time and to have UK independence would mean that politicians could not constantly hide behind the screen of the EU and just let the country plod along either at an economic and social level. It was an enormous risk but more so it was also an enormous opportunity. The past three years have been squandered by incompetents who never wanted to leave as it's far easier to make non-decisions and shuffle resources around the board according to the whim of that time. No-deal should have been an opening gambit and, of course no one really wants that in terms of a precipice, but we started with EU alignment and tried to edge away rather than the other way round.

Some of that paragraph I'd go along with, but I'm not having the highlighted bit. Post referendum, it was Leave who had control of the agenda and have proved themselves singularly incapable of taking the opportunity to deliver on the promises which were glibly thrown around back in 2016. Having won, it was incumbent on Leave to make things work and there was certainly no obligation on remainers to make life easy for them. That's the very essence of government and opposition.

This whole mess is a Tory construct followed by a failure to deliver by those on the Leave side. No group has done more to derail the process at critical stages than the evangelical zealots of the ERG.
(09-08-2019, 01:28 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 10:10 AM)Fido Wrote: My reasons for leaving were based more on the fact that accountability in politics has been so ridiculously low for such a long time and to have UK independence would mean that politicians could not constantly hide behind the screen of the EU and just let the country plod along either at an economic and social level. It was an enormous risk but more so it was also an enormous opportunity. The past three years have been squandered by incompetents who never wanted to leave as it's far easier to make non-decisions and shuffle resources around the board according to the whim of that time. No-deal should have been an opening gambit and, of course no one really wants that in terms of a precipice, but we started with EU alignment and tried to edge away rather than the other way round.

Some of that paragraph I'd go along with, but I'm not having the highlighted bit. Post referendum, it was Leave who had control of the agenda and have proved themselves singularly incapable of taking the opportunity to deliver on the promises which were glibly thrown around back in 2016. Having won, it was incumbent on Leave to make things work and there was certainly no obligation on remainers to make life easy for them. That's the very essence of government and opposition.

This whole mess is a Tory construct followed by a failure to deliver by those on the Leave side. No group has done more to derail the process at critical stages than the evangelical zealots of the ERG.
 It's also the case the Leavers had no plan because they didn't think it would happen. Johnson wasn't really leaver but it had suited him in his ambitions for that pretence.  Then reality bites and we have got to the stage where Dominic "Dr Strangelove" Cummings has burrowed into the heart of government.
Ouch
(09-10-2019, 01:03 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Ouch
On Radio 4 a week or two back we had a similar super-brain, who couldn't even work out that it was the English channel separating us from France.
Truth is the experts, the overwhelming number of our MPs, said leaving would be madness, as have all living ex-prime ministers. However, this Scottish truck driver is a fairly decent benchmark of the huge number of poorly educated people who seemed to think a huge leap into the dark was a better option than the status quo.
(09-08-2019, 10:10 AM)Fido Wrote: My reasons for leaving were based more on the fact that accountability in politics has been so ridiculously low for such a long time and to have UK independence would mean that politicians could not constantly hide behind the screen of the EU and just let the country plod along either at an economic and social level.

Well done, mon - that's the most coherent reasoning I've heard from a Leave voter. Interestingly, probably the main reasons I voted remain was that I believed most (if not all) of the ills of this country were down to those in Westminster, not the scapegoats of the EU. Despite the divisions in the country, I suspect many Remainers and Leavers have more in common than they actually realise. Sadly, they don't get to recognise this because all debates quickly descend into acrimonious slanging matches (btw, did anyone see last week's edition of QT on the BBC? Pathetic).