Never mind the truth...
(09-03-2019, 02:38 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Anyway, good of you to turn up today SOTV - have you got any thoughts on the plummeting pound negating any threat of a no deal Brexit (and the tariffs) for them EU bully boys.

Plummeting pound? It’s worth just over 1.1 euro today, it was the same price last year. How does it compare with the widely acknowledged economic disaster that is the euro that the very same people who are now telling us leaving the the Eu will be a catastrophe, were so keen for us to join? 
Personally I don’t like tariffs, I just don’t see why we need to be part of a political union in order to have free trade.
In Jan 2016 we were at 1.35€ to the pound. We’re now at 1.09 and if we do go out with no deal the markets are predicting parity. That’s plummeting.

To put it simply for you before this stupid vote our businesses could buy €1000 of product from the EU for £750, that same product will now cost £1000, that’s an increase of 33% in 4 years. If we go out with no deal then that will go up again because tariffs will be added. Do you still want no deal?

And using your own words that’s our powerhouse economic measure (Sterling) against a widely acknowledged disaster that is the euro.
(09-04-2019, 07:22 AM)baggy1 Wrote: In Jan 2016 we were at 1.35€ to the pound. We’re now at 1.09 and if we do go out with no deal the markets are predicting parity. That’s plummeting.

To put it simply for you before this stupid vote our businesses could buy €1000 of product from the EU for £750, that same product will now cost £1000, that’s an increase of 33% in 4 years. If we go out with no deal then that will go up again because tariffs will be added. Do you still want no deal?

And using your own words that’s our powerhouse economic measure (Sterling) against a widely acknowledged disaster that is the euro.

I bet I know the answer
(09-03-2019, 08:41 PM)Sotv Wrote: Personally I don’t like tariffs, I just don’t see why we need to be part of a political union in order to have free trade.

To preserve some form of equity and control over states that aren't part of the EU which benefits the countries in the union. 

I'll give you an example - If the EU arranged a free trade deal with Turkey, they are the EU neighbours after all, but didn't require them to be part of the political union then Turkey could subsidise companies to provide cheap goods to the EU without being told what they can or can't do. Those cheap goods would be bought by the EU public over the EU goods because they are cheaper. That would ultimately cause the EU companies to go out of business and therefore jobs lost.

And no-one likes tariffs - they are simply in place to provide equity and protection. We were being protected as part of the EU, we chose to go it alone and now realisation is dawning slowly.

It's simple - we were ok, there was no problem with being part of the EU, investment was good, unemployment was low, we had money in our pockets. A lot of things needed sorting out - NHS, Policing, Crime, immigration (possibly), benefits etc, but none of those issues were EU related or would be solved by leaving the EU.

Now do you still want Brexit, and if so, do you want that to be no deal?
(09-04-2019, 11:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 08:41 PM)Sotv Wrote: Personally I don’t like tariffs, I just don’t see why we need to be part of a political union in order to have free trade.

To preserve some form of equity and control over states that aren't part of the EU which benefits the countries in the union. 

I'll give you an example - If the EU arranged a free trade deal with Turkey, they are the EU neighbours after all, but didn't require them to be part of the political union then Turkey could subsidise companies to provide cheap goods to the EU without being told what they can or can't do. Those cheap goods would be bought by the EU public over the EU goods because they are cheaper. That would ultimately cause the EU companies to go out of business and therefore jobs lost.

And no-one likes tariffs - they are simply in place to provide equity and protection. We were being protected as part of the EU, we chose to go it alone and now realisation is dawning slowly.

It's simple - we were ok, there was no problem with being part of the EU, investment was good, unemployment was low, we had money in our pockets. A lot of things needed sorting out - NHS, Policing, Crime, immigration (possibly), benefits etc, but none of those issues were EU related or would be solved by leaving the EU.

Now do you still want Brexit, and if so, do you want that to be no deal?

You can give all the facts to people, bash them over the head with them, write them in twenty foot neon letters and tattoo them on people’s foreheads but they still won’t listen or act with reason . This is not about facts it’s about emotion for some and this is what the remain side always forget me included. We assume that rationality is key to people’s decision making but for many what they feel is more important. Proof? You can tell car manufacturers workers in Boro, Wolverhampton etc that their jobs are likely to be lost and yet they will still say I don’t care, MPs who have been life long Conservatives say they won’t  support their own government due doing what’s best for the nation and leavers will ignore and attack them without any good reason. 

That’s why Boris is doing his piss poor impression of Churchill and using emotive words and not facts / reason as he hasn’t got any. Slogans, soundbites, mantra’s is all they have and the fact it seems some enjoy being lied to.