Bolton
Not looking good for them. 

How can a club with a long and rich history be allowed to fold.

Football has well and truly lost the plot. Sad.
Clarnet v2.0
For me the question is just how we’re they allowed to rack up over £150m of debt without anyone seemingly caring.
(08-26-2019, 09:59 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Not looking good for them. 

How can a club with a long and rich history be allowed to fold.

Football has well and truly lost the plot. Sad.

Same as in business. Many old, historic companies have gone bust through mismanagement.
Football should be properly regulated against charlatan owners. The supporters suffer, not the pirates who get their hands on th clubs. After all, the supporters are the clubs, not the owners. They should be custodians only.

Probably time to bring in, by law if need be, 30% supporters ownership in every club. Season tickets should automatically buy one a vote on the Board.
dont think they have ever recovered from the allardyce era.

lived way beyond their means for many a year.

would love to see some rules in place to allow fans a decent share of a club to stop this happening.
(08-26-2019, 10:09 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: Football should be properly regulated against charlatan owners. The supporters suffer, not the pirates who get their hands on th clubs. After all, the supporters are the clubs, not the owners. They should be custodians only.

Probably time to bring in, by law if need be, 30% supporters ownership in every club. Season tickets should automatically buy one  a vote on the Board.

Would hardly say Eddie Lewis was a charlatan, he pumped hundreds of millions in and took them into Europe and the top 6 of the PL.

No one however planned for “what happens if Eddie’s no longer here” 

As I’ve said on the Bury threads, it’s a sad state of affairs when this happens to any club, but change won’t happen until fans put pressure on their own clubs and owners to operate in the right way and not turn a blind eye to financial recklessness because Of short term success.
Bolton took a massive gamble when they were in the Premier League - they realised that relegation would effectively bankrupt them and chose to gamble by spending more to "ensure" they wouldn't be relegated. From the point they went down they were doomed, I'm only surprised they've managed to keep going for so long before reaching this point.
Of course the fans loved it in the premier league and were only too happy to see them living beyond their means - a lesson to those preaching the "speculate to accumulate"* approach?

More appropriately known as the "speculate to either accumulate or go bust" approach.
I think a lot of this goes back to Phil Gartside's time at the helm. No wonder he seriously floated the idea of the Prem becoming a closed shop when Bolton were in it and do away with relegation and promotion. He knew what was coming.
If there was proof needed of the dingles being evolutionary underdeveloped then you only have to look at the glee some are taking in the potential winding up of Bolton, simply because they have Wanderers in their name...….
I agree with fan boardroom participation, but I'm not sure how it would help curb financial excesses. You've only got to look at fan demands on this board and every other to realise a lot of fans would happily spend money for short term success.

Maybe looser regulation could even help? After all, why would a rich benefactor take over Bolton knowing they are not allowed to invest as much money as they want to right the ship?

You only have to look at Villa. Their new owners made it clear they wouldn't buy the club unless they were allowed to 'break' the rules and and 'over-invest' to increase their chances of success and see a profit.