Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare and contrast
(03-30-2017, 07:25 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The Baby Boom generation is the most selfish generation in living memory.

That maybe so, but they're not half as grasping as the entitled Millennials.

Many of whom want to stay in the EU because of either: 1. selfish reasons like Erasmus (when you don't have to be an EU member) or because they might want to work abroad one day (which people did before 1973), Or; 2. one-eyed. idiotic crap like 'We are one family'.
(03-30-2017, 06:53 PM)Hi Mandown_Pilt Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 04:26 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 04:03 PM)John Osbournes Kn uckle Wrote: Oh, and what a shocker, Clegg and B.B.C. in anti Brexit article.

It wasn't anti-Brexit - he went to find out why a place like Ebbw Vale that has benefitted from significant EU investment would vote to leave the EU. I thought Clegg did well to keep a lid on his pro-EU feelings.

Oh sorry which bit isn't true? 
EU investment. 

Where does it get its money from? Thin air? Trees? 

Or would that be from the net contributions we (and a few others) have always made to it, year after year? Can we not fund projects Ebbw Vale directly, without a grasping, wasteful, corrupt organisation dipping its fingers in before it gives us a pittance back?

(03-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 04:03 PM)John Osbourne Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 08:28 AM)logic1 Wrote: the elderly deluded and uneducated morons with the young intelligent future of this country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yb740

To you brexiteers, hang your heads in shame. Thanks for ensuring that the people who fought and died for this country let Germany win the peace.

"Brexiteers have let Germany win the peace." What a ridicules, meaningless statement! Even if it was not a moronic utterance I think it simply wrong. Germany had already "won the peace". The E.U already dances to Germany's tune. What Deutschland says goes. Me thinks if the U.K had that much sway over what went on over fifty percent of Brits would not have voted out.
Britain went to war to defeat Nazism and totalitarianism, which we did, not to subjugate the German people. I can't believe the highly educated, supremely intelligent, barley out of nappies, we know better the you, quasi communist lefties would want us to be lording it over the German people al la Imperialism. So winning the war is an irrelevant argument. 
The Marshall Plan can be cited as being a great help in Germany gaining a dominant position industrially ; that and the fact Germany adopted a more Laissez-Faire attitude to trade and kept loaning the central pot from the Plan to businesses at low rates rather than swallowing it up on one off infrastructure schemes. Also bear in mind Germany had to invest in new tooling following the war whilst British industry struggled on with outdated technology. That was the was winning generation's fault not the Boomers.
It's a stretch to blame the the state of Britain's finances on 'Baby Boomers' other than for the fact they are the parents of the 20 and 30 somethings, those, I'm alright Jack, scruple-less, highly educated, young, greed merchants of the nineties and noughties who really sent the country belly up. (Oh, I do have to admit there was one 'Boomer' greatly to blame... Tunna Blair). As an old, decrepit, working class thick git (only two degrees) I will accept that we were too permissive in allowing young, barley out the scrotum, self opinionated anti democratic t*ts to think their views are the only ones to have any credence. Sorry for the composition of this little diatribe but it's the best a product of a factory fodder producing Secondary Modern school can scribble with his crayon.

Oh, and what a shocker, Clegg and B.B.C. in anti Brexit article.

Erm the 90s and 00's generation have seen house prices soar, rents soar, social housing struggle to keep up with demand, lose job security, struggle to save, struggle to save for a pension and be the first generations in living memory worse off than their parents. 

The Baby Boom generation is the most selfish generation in living memory.

Of all the tosh you've come out with...

Oh sorry which bit isn't true?
(03-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Erm the 90s and 00's generation have seen house prices soar, rents soar, social housing struggle to keep up with demand, lose job security, struggle to save, struggle to save for a pension and be the first generations in living memory worse off than their parents. 

Which sector was most to blame for the crash? Financial services I would argue. And who works in that sector?
Tom Hayes mid 20's to mid 30's when he helped fraudulently fix the LIBOR rate.
Average age of investment bankers is early 30's.
Nick Leeson, born 1967. (Baby Boomers 1946-64)
The Sub Prime mortgage crisis; younger generation taking out mortgages they can't possibly afford. Young bankers selling them mortgages they can't afford. Young bankers buying PMBS from said lenders putting their banks in serious jeopardy.

The millennial generation is the most irresponsible and thoughtless generation.

Boomers better off? We didn't get full wages until the age of 21. Equal pay for women not enacted until 1975.
Households with a car in 1951, 14 percent. 
Households with a car in 2008, 78 percent.
Over the same period 2 or more car households rose by 21 percent.
One, rented TV. ( now you have multiple devises, tellys in bedrooms, IPads, laptops, etc)
No phone, not even a landline. ( now even primary school kids have their own smartphones)
Our mortgage, in the mid 70's was a minimum 10 percent deposit and no more than 3 times our annual combined salary. Up until 2014 some lenders would loan 110 percent of the house price and just take your word you could afford it!

House prices have gone up because more people can afford them. That's just supply and demand and as someone else has pointed out, if we keep importing cheap workers faster than we can build social housing it is no wonder it is in short supply.

Oh and Boomers selfish? The bank of mom and dad will be subsiding you Millennials to the tune of more than £5 billion this year.
Making sweeping, ill informed and derogatory statements only reinforces the false stereotype my peers have about the  immoral, manners lacking, me first millennials.
(03-30-2017, 08:45 PM)John Osbourne Wrote: Making sweeping, ill informed and derogatory statements only reinforces the false stereotype my peers have about the  immoral, manners lacking, me first millennials.

My mum and dad were Baby Boomers. They experienced something called rationing.

Millennials may have experienced something called "austerity" where the government spends more money year on year.

Not really the same is it.
(03-30-2017, 08:45 PM)John Osbourne Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 05:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Erm the 90s and 00's generation have seen house prices soar, rents soar, social housing struggle to keep up with demand, lose job security, struggle to save, struggle to save for a pension and be the first generations in living memory worse off than their parents. 

Which sector was most to blame for the crash? Financial services I would argue. And who works in that sector?
The Sub Prime mortgage crisis; younger generation taking out mortgages they can't possibly afford. Young bankers selling them mortgages they can't afford. Young bankers buying PMBS from said lenders putting their banks in serious jeopardy.

Boomers better off? We didn't get full wages until the age of 21. Equal pay for women not enacted until 1975.
One, rented TV. ( now you have multiple devises, tellys in bedrooms, IPads, laptops, etc)
No phone, not even a landline. ( now even primary school kids have their own smartphones)
Our mortgage, in the mid 70's was a minimum 10 percent deposit and no more than 3 times our annual combined salary. Up until 2014 some lenders would loan 110 percent of the house price and just take your word you could afford it!

House prices have gone up because more people can afford them. That's just supply and demand and as someone else has pointed out, if we keep importing cheap workers faster than we can build social housing it is no wonder it is in short supply.

Oh and Boomers selfish? The bank of mom and dad will be subsiding you Millennials to the tune of more than £5 billion this year.
Making sweeping, ill informed and derogatory statements only reinforces the false stereotype my peers have about the  immoral, manners lacking, me first millennials.

House prices have gone up because there is a lack of affordable and / or social housing, the older generation buying second, third homes as investments and successive governments not building enough homes pushing prices up and out of sight of younger people. I don't recall Millennials having much say in that. Blaming cheap workers is an easy get out of jail card. The bank of Mom and Dad would not be needed if their generation hadn't allowed the housing situation to spiral out of control, which of course has suited them because they have seen their homes treble, quadruple in price. 

Btw I'm not a Millennial just someone who thinks the younger generations have been royally shafted by older generations.
(03-30-2017, 09:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 08:45 PM)John Osbourne Wrote:

House prices have gone up because there is a lack of affordable and / or social housing, the older generation buying second, third homes as investments and successive governments not building enough homes pushing prices up and out of sight of younger people. I don't recall Millennials having much say in that. Blaming cheap workers is an easy get out of jail card. The bank of Mom and Dad would not be needed if their generation hadn't allowed the housing situation to spiral out of control, which of course has suited them because they have seen their homes treble, quadruple in price. 

Btw I'm not a Millennial just someone who thinks the younger generations have been royally shafted by older generations.

I must admit I have always said we have had the best times this country has seen. Free education (I’d even argue the Secondary Modern/Grammar system was better), Job availability, Health Care and safety. The one down side is our old age is not going to be too hot. However, I think it’s a false argument to say we benefit from increased house prices. Our house value has increased almost by 10 since 1980 but if we wanted to move now we would have to use every penny for a property no better. How many of us do you think can afford two or three houses?

I still say tarring an entire generation for the poor governance of a few elitist and ideologists in suits is wrong. Do you think, as parents, we are happy with the predicament our children find themselves in? Every generation could argue they were shafted by the preceding lot. The Second World War winners could say the poor decisions of the Great War generation dropped them in it.
I'm only just about boomer. 
To John Osbourne and Proth, re: your point that the money invested in Wales by the EU is money from our taxpayers - that is a fair point. However, I'm not convinced Westminster would have directed that money to Wales (and other regions to benefit from the EU such as Cornwall, for that matter). We'll see what happens in the fullness of time but if I were living in the valleys, I wouldn't be expecting my lot to improve anytime soon.
2.5 Million, seems legit.

[Image: the-funicular-railway-ebbw-vale-blaenau-...emjbbf.jpg]

And it's currently bost.
(03-31-2017, 12:30 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote: 2.5 Million, seems legit.

And it's currently bost.

And the private sector never ever wastes any money:

[Image: 14375-zoom.jpg]
(03-31-2017, 12:30 PM)Man of Harlech Wrote: 2.5 Million, seems legit.

And it's currently bost.

Is that Tom Jones' Stannah