Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Britain
As pointed out in this or one of the other thousand EU threads the fact that Juncker has, since the Brexit vote, given different possible avenues for the EU to take and gives rise to the question of what they really think internally about how the EU should function i.e. different tiers of states and so on. I'm fairly sure this would never had happened had we not voted to leave and wouldn't have happened if they didn't think that something was fundamentally wrong with the whole concept.
(03-31-2017, 10:45 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: The problem with that is that it is pretty hard to ascertain exactly what us leaving the EU would be responsible for going wrong/right. Sadly, this will mean that the rows will rage forevermore - or at least until there is some sort of implosion within the EU (not saying that's a certainty, before anyone starts) - as many are so entrenched with their views on it.

If I feel as though us leaving has been to the long term detriment of the UK then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. It should be a long, long time before anyone can even think of making such a judgement, though IMO.

I agree that it will take a long time to see the overall picture and the arguments will go on and on. Never mind people still talking about Thatcher now they'll be still talking about this in 2100.

How about some of the possible results along the route. As someone who sees themselves as British first (I said British first not Britains) I would see Scotland leaving the Union as detrimental.
(03-31-2017, 11:13 AM)Zoltanger Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 10:45 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: The problem with that is that it is pretty hard to ascertain exactly what us leaving the EU would be responsible for going wrong/right. Sadly, this will mean that the rows will rage forevermore - or at least until there is some sort of implosion within the EU (not saying that's a certainty, before anyone starts) - as many are so entrenched with their views on it.

If I feel as though us leaving has been to the long term detriment of the UK then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. It should be a long, long time before anyone can even think of making such a judgement, though IMO.

I agree that it will take a long time to see the overall picture and the arguments will go on and on. Never mind people still talking about Thatcher now they'll be still talking about this in 2100.

How about some of the possible results along the route. As someone who sees themselves as British first (I said British first not Britains) I would see Scotland leaving the Union as detrimental.

Gotta be honest, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest
(03-31-2017, 11:23 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 11:13 AM)Zoltanger Wrote:

Gotta be honest, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest

You are a senior member of the Conservative and Unionist Party and I claim my 5 shiny new pound coins.

Anyone else share Malc's view?
(03-31-2017, 07:18 AM)Zoltanger Wrote: The same thickos who did not question the EU are now not supposed to question Brexit according to some.

Coming back to the title of this thread. If as many have claimed Brexit was in part an anti-globalistion vote how come we are now going for a Global Britain. India has already said we will need to accept more people to get a deal. One of my biggest gripes with Brexit is that it doesn't tie-up. It seems to be based on no ideology apart from the dislike of things.

As I said soon after the vote I truly hope to be proven wrong and to be able to thank leave voters in the future. In the same spirit if it does all go tits up I hope those who voted to leave will apologise.

Just a few posts ago you explained the contradiction of global capitalists and bankers supporting the same EU as people on the Left like you as a 'broad church'.

You could say YOUR side has no ideological underpinnings.

Yet again, spectacular non-self reflection!

Why should we apologise? Will you apologise for the f**k-ups of the EU? Will you apologise to the low-paid for their wages being kept low due to cheaper EU labour?

And question it all you want. Just don't trot-out the usual lies about £350m on a bus being a promise, that no-one voted to leave the single market, that only 25% of the population voted for Brexit amongst other completely idiotic arguments the likes of Farron and the Greens come out with.
(03-31-2017, 04:59 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 07:18 AM)Zoltanger Wrote: The same thickos who did not question the EU are now not supposed to question Brexit according to some.

Coming back to the title of this thread. If as many have claimed Brexit was in part an anti-globalistion vote how come we are now going for a Global Britain. India has already said we will need to accept more people to get a deal. One of my biggest gripes with Brexit is that it doesn't tie-up. It seems to be based on no ideology apart from the dislike of things.

As I said soon after the vote I truly hope to be proven wrong and to be able to thank leave voters in the future. In the same spirit if it does all go tits up I hope those who voted to leave will apologise.

Just a few posts ago you explained the contradiction of global capitalists and bankers supporting the same EU as people on the Left like you as a 'broad church'.

Why should we apologise? Will you apologise for the f**k-ups of the EU? Will you apologise to the low-paid for their wages being kept low due to cheaper EU labour?

And question it all you want. Just don't trot-out the usual lies about £350m on a bus being a promise, that no-one voted to leave the single market, that only 25% of the population voted for Brexit amongst other completely idiotic arguments the likes of Farron and the Greens come out with.

Good luck getting those poor down trodden workers back in work after all the foreigners took their jobs'.
(03-31-2017, 05:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Good luck getting those poor down trodden workers back in work after all the foreigners took their jobs'.

Nearly 9 million in part time work - over 40% want more hours. Do you think that some employers may be giving just enough hours to avoid having to pay Employers NI.
(03-31-2017, 05:40 PM)Strawman Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 05:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Nearly 9 million in part time work - over 40% want more hours. Do you think that some employers may be giving just enough hours to avoid having to pay Employers NI.

Do I think this will improve post Brexit? Nope.

Top post!
I voted remain, but as the UK voted to leave I have no hatred towards anyone who voted out.  I couldn't agree more with what you've posted. I'm 38 and will be 40 before we leave, so I think it will be until I'm 55 ish before we can see if the decision of the nation was right or wrong. But even then it may take longer to see if leaving is successful.
(03-31-2017, 04:59 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote: Just a few posts ago you explained the contradiction of global capitalists and bankers supporting the same EU as people on the Left like you as a 'broad church'.

I think you're maybe showing early signs of caps lock syndrome.

I predict many Brexiteers heads are going to explode in the next 2 years. Some of the comments I've seen on Gibraltar have been hilarious. They can't all have been trolls.

Talking of Gibraltar are you on their side or not?

I've just heard their Chief Minister say, "they are not the culprits of Brexit". If I accused you of being a culprit you'd do your fucking nut.