Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Britain
Interesting article from that lefty rag the FT.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3e32b38-0fc8...ba212dce4d
Paywall
Bloody capitalists wanting their pound of flesh. 

The crux of the article was that to use a term like Global Britain (AKA Empire 2.0) and to say a post Brexit Britain could return to our great world trading days of yore was ignoring the fact in those days we had a gun to every fuckers head. We are ignoring important elements in our history.

Why would India for example fall  over themselves to trade with the new Global Britain.

They also made the point that we were cushioned psychologically from the fall of Empire by 'winning' the Second World War.
(03-27-2017, 04:22 PM)Zoltanger Wrote: Bloody capitalists wanting their pound of flesh. 

The crux of the article was that to use a term like Global Britain (AKA Empire 2.0) and to say a post Brexit Britain could return to our great world trading days of yore was ignoring the fact in those days we had a gun to every fuckers head. We are ignoring important elements in our history.

Why would India for example fall  over themselves to trade with the new Global Britain.

They also made the point that we were cushioned psychologically from the fall of Empire by 'winning' the Second World War.

Wasn't it the other way round that the Empire really began to fall due to the Second World War and the agreements made with the US as a result of their intervention?
Largely, yes, though the inter-war years sowed the seeds to be honest.
(03-27-2017, 04:31 PM)Fido Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 04:22 PM)Zoltanger Wrote: Bloody capitalists wanting their pound of flesh. 

Wasn't it the other way round that the Empire really began to fall due to the Second World War and the agreements made with the US as a result of their intervention?

I/the article wasn't commenting on why the Empire fell, all empires have a shelf life. It was saying that the fact it coincided with victory in WW2 helped ease any loss in self confidence that may have come about.

Its main point was warning against having an inflated sense of self worth and to avoid jingoism going into negotiations. In some circles it's not unlike a lead up to major football tournament with David Davis playing the Ian Wright role. Let's hope it doesn't go to pens as Merkel looks like she takes a mean spot kick.

Tomorrow is the end of chapter 1 of Brexit. Chapter 2 is when the real fun begins...
(03-28-2017, 07:01 AM)Zoltanger Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 04:31 PM)Fido Wrote:

I/the article wasn't commenting on why the Empire fell, all empires have a shelf life. It was saying that the fact it coincided with victory in WW2 helped ease any loss in self confidence that may have come about.

Its main point was warning against having an inflated sense of self worth and to avoid jingoism going into negotiations. In some circles it's not unlike a lead up to major football tournament with David Davis playing the Ian Wright role. Let's hope it doesn't go to pens as Merkel looks like she takes a mean spot kick.

Tomorrow is the end of chapter 1 of Brexit. Chapter 2 is when the real fun begins...

I didn't read the article but the sentence in bold implies that the Empire fell and then we won WWII which eased the pain somewhat. Now although India was well on its way to independence by then it would be disingenuous to say the Empire fell before the war. It may well have been the case if the Nazis hadn't come to power and Japan hadn't started to kick off as well that there would some semblance of an Empire still remaining. Can't disagree with the point about inflated self-worth however there are markets all over the world that are buzzing while Europe stagnates so easy to see why it is seen as an enormous opportunity, regardless of what may or may not happen with our near neighbours.
It was saying they were around the same time, happy with that.

Empire still has effects on our psyche, I see elements of it in myself. Being married to a Latin type we have had 1 or 2 conversations where I have expressed the benefits of organisation. I may have used the phrase, "We're good at organisation, we had an empire based on it." 

Now I'm not saying Brexit is an attempt to return to Empire but it may be possible that it's stirring stronger emotions of collective greatness in some that may have been just under the surface. 

Likewise WW2 still effects us and our relationship with the rest of Europe. Do many still not think that most of Europe owes us some gratitude for our resilience?
(03-29-2017, 07:20 AM)Zoltanger Wrote: It was saying they were around the same time, happy with that.

Empire still has effects on our psyche, I see elements of it in myself. Being married to a Latin type we have had 1 or 2 conversations where I have expressed the benefits of organisation. I may have used the phrase, "We're good at organisation, we had an empire based on it." 

Now I'm not saying Brexit is an attempt to return to Empire but it may be possible that it's stirring stronger emotions of collective greatness in some that may have been just under the surface. 

Likewise WW2 still effects us and our relationship with the rest of Europe. Do many still not think that most of Europe owes us some gratitude for our resilience?

It's a fair point and I'm sure pushed people in a certain direction, vote-wise.

I know your point about 'capitalists' is joshing but why are you and other Lefties supporting the same entity as the global financiers, and people like Charlie Mullins who wants cheap labour? Not to mention Campbell and Blair. And people like Gideon and Dave who you continue to despise as greedy, 'for the 1%' etc?

None of you seem to grasp what it actually is that you want to be a part of. They throw you a few concessions like consumer protection and you're all taken-in by it. It's painful but incredible to watch.