Roy
(08-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Losing Roy to England was one of the biggest losses for us in quite a while. We were lucky his stock was low after being hounded out of Liverpool. A genuine and talented man who also gave us 1-5

Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.
The main point of our several hours discussion was RH's lack of flexibility, his poor and belated use of substitutes and reliance on the same players despite poor performance. The general view was he was too stuck in his ways for the squad at that time.

Of course it worked out for us and we put a lot of this to one side as we stayed up and improved under Dashworths model.

The 'revisionism' is not on my part but those that now choose to use rose tinted spectacles on the career of a genuinely nice man, but someone who has achieved no better than consistent mediocrity.
(08-18-2019, 07:35 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Losing Roy to England was one of the biggest losses for us in quite a while. We were lucky his stock was low after being hounded out of Liverpool. A genuine and talented man who also gave us 1-5

Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.
The main point of our several hours discussion was RH's lack of flexibility, his poor and belated use of substitutes and reliance on the same players despite poor performance. The general view was he was too stuck in his ways for the squad at that time.

Of course it worked out for us and we put a lot of this to one side as we stayed up and improved under Dashworths model.

The 'revisionism' is not on my part but those that now choose to use rose tinted spectacles on the career of a genuinely nice man, but someone who has achieved no better than consistent mediocrity.

He kept us up and was instrumental in creating a firm foundation for us to be an established Prem club. It is total rewriting of history to suggest we could have one got a better replacement for RDM at that time and stretching the bounds of credibility to think there were many managers who could have done better with the squad at his disposal.

Ok mon. You and the tinternet illuminati know the truth. Personally I'll remember great days under his tenure and think about the general titsupness here since he left.

By the way, only on here could becoming England manager be described as mediocrity ffs
(08-18-2019, 07:47 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:

Ok mon. You and the tinternet illuminati know the truth. Personally I'll remember great days under his tenure and think about the general titsupness here since he left.
Patronising Bullshit. 
I am no 'illuminati' and would never claim to know better. 
What I can do though is express my own opinion and remember things a little better than you it seems.
I could become a DH type bore for example and ask you to recount those great days under Roy and then compare them to equally great days under other manager/coaches we have had since.
That is revisionism writ large right there.
(08-18-2019, 07:56 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:

Patronising Bullshit. 
What I can do though is express my own opinion and remember things a little better than you it seems.
I could become a DH type bore for example and ask you to recount those great days under Roy and then compare them to equally great days under other manager/coaches we have had since.

Losing the argument? Let’s play the man instead.

Here’s a question please name a better manager that was available to keep us in the Prem at the time it was becoming clear RDM’s tenure was coming to an end?
(08-18-2019, 08:01 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Patronising Bullshit. 

WTF are you on about? There is a reason why I don't usually respond to your rambling posts and this is it. You are very poor at wind up.

Patronising Bullshit. 

I bow to your superior memory. Enjoy your memories of halcyon days of Irvine, Mel, Pulis and Pardew et al.
To be fair I understand what swagbaggie is getting at. The game before the 5-1 was Swansea at home which we lost to add another defeat to our poor home record at the time and there were also complaints about the style of football on offer. I remember going on an Albion message board at the time where there were quite a few who said he should leave when his contract runs out. It wasn't until the 5-1 and I think a 4-0 win against Sunderland the week later that made the negativity disappear for the rest of the season.

At the time I knew we were lucky to have Roy and that he was the best manager we could have but there were times in that second season he didn't half frustrate me. We were much better when he finally went away from the rigid 4-4-2 and played with 5 in midfield that most of us knew was what suited our team at the time.
(08-18-2019, 08:04 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 08:01 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-18-2019, 07:35 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: Funny you should mention the 1-5 but that day was the March to Molinuex charity walk on behalf of one of the children of an (ex?) Bored member. During that walk I was with a number of our fans, some of whom still post on this place. Two are held in particular high esteem. They talk sense now as they did then. I won't embarrass them by naming them.

Patronising Bullshit. 

WTF are you on about? There is a reason why I don't usually respond to your rambling posts and this is it. You are very poor at wind up.

Name a better manager that we could have got than Hodgson at the time it became clear RDM tenure was coming to an end? Not a wind up I genuinely think you are typing nonsense.
(08-18-2019, 08:08 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: To be fair I understand what swagbaggie is getting at. The game before the 5-1 was Swansea at home which we lost to add another defeat to our poor home record at the time and there were also complaints about the style of football on offer. I remember going on an Albion message board at the time where there were quite a few who said he should leave when his contract runs out. It wasn't until the 5-1 and I think a 4-0 win against Sunderland 4-0 the week later that made the negativity disappear for the rest of the season.

I think that speaks more about message boards than managers