To be an Albion legend
Difficult to quantify. Burgess and Raven spent over 10 years each at Albion. But both played in mostly poor sides so wouldnt be classed as legends.
I am sparing in the use of the term myself, and it's all a matter of opinion.

Legends to me include Bassett, Pennington, Glidden, W.G., Allen, Barlow, Kevan, Astle, Brown, Cyrille…

All of the '31, '54 and '68 teams, and the late 70s trailblazers.

SuperBob is my most recent. And yet he hates me.
I think Spandau is right and legend can only be viewed through the eyes of history. For example, if Laurie had been playing today and whilst under contract to us actively pimped himself out to one of the big clubs, how would that be seen in the social media world of today. And following that would he still have been remembered for the legend that he was / is?

Laurie, along with that team around 78/79/80 excited us and are legends in my view. Brunty less so, bt that might simply be because he has been here throughout my 40s and not my teen years and I have a different view on the world and footballers.
(08-16-2019, 02:32 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: I am sparing in the use of the term myself, and it's all a matter of opinion.

Legends to me include Bassett, Pennington, Glidden, W.G., Allen, Barlow, Kevan, Astle, Brown, Cyrille…

Such a strong emotive statement, can't we just say, he has a different outlook to you Big Grin
On a different slant, i think any true Albion legend is most likely to be a player fans of other clubs know about, and have admired.
All other contenders are probably cult heroes amongst our own fans.
Lots of decent players and good pros will get overlooked in the process.
(08-16-2019, 02:43 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 02:32 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: I am sparing in the use of the term myself, and it's all a matter of opinion.

Such a strong emotive statement, can't we just say, he has a different outlook to you Big Grin

It's really odd. Always had a right laugh with him over the years and got on really well.
And then it changed. It's either:

He thinks I stole his '93 shirt*
or
He's got me mixed up with my mysterious double from the Worcester area

* someone actually stole his shirt at a dinner in the Richardson Suite a few years ago. He'd put it under the table he was sat at and it ended up going out in the hands of one of a couple of guests that night - the Club staff trawled through CCTV, recognised them as regular corporate users, contacted them and it was returned. What a pair of GRAHAM SCOTTS.

Cornwall.

Llandudno.

No mention of beaches please.
Legend can be used for more then one category - Foster IMO has been one of our greatest keepers, but hasn't been mentioned.
Also J Rod's accidental handball against the seals was "Legendary" that will live with me forever.
Other Legends make the Legend status although they played elsewhere, Laurie, Robbo, Regis, Super Bob.
Johnny Giles was probably a legend before he even came to the shrine.
It's subjective of course and that's what make this bored different.
Brunt is definitely a legend for me. 

Must be the best left foot Albion has ever seen? 

Imagine him popping crosses in for the King!

Multiple classic goals.

10 years and shit loads of games. 

Played key roles in our first wins for decades at Anfield, Old Trafford, Arsenal, White Hart Lane, Goodison Park, Villa etc..

Hard to put into perspective because he’s still around but we won’t be able to talk about anything in the past decade without mentioning him.
(08-16-2019, 05:00 PM)MGalea Wrote: Brunt is definitely a legend for me. 

Must be the best left foot Albion has ever seen? 

Imagine him popping crosses in for the King!

Multiple classic goals.

10 years and shit loads of games. 

Played key roles in our first wins for decades at Anfield, Old Trafford, Arsenal, White Hart Lane, Goodison Park, Villa etc..

Hard to put into perspective because he’s still around but we won’t be able to talk about anything in the past decade without mentioning him.

Sold it to me! Brunteh is a legend, perfect ambassador too. 
I should add, Chippy Clarke put rather a lot of crosses onto the head of The King, mind. Big favourite of mine but from that team, Astle, Bomber, Bobby Hope qualify as legends.    Ossie, Chipper, Graham Williams, Yorkie, they were cult heroes.
(08-16-2019, 04:27 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Legend can be used for more then one category - Foster IMO has been one of our greatest keepers, but hasn't been mentioned.
Also J Rod's accidental handball against the seals was "Legendary" that will live with me forever.
Other Legends make the Legend status although they played elsewhere, Laurie, Robbo, Regis, Super Bob.
Johnny Giles was probably a legend before he even came to the shrine.
It's subjective of course and that's what make this bored different.
Apologies, a pure oversight with Foster- best keeper ever, played a vital role in the best modern era. A total legend.