Early Observations
It’s not knocking players. More that those of us that understand the game realise that being unable to come out in top in 2 attempts or create very much in 180 minutes against Millwall at home perhaps does not bode that well for the season ahead at present.
(08-14-2019, 10:13 AM)The Surgeon Wrote: It’s not knocking players. More that those of us that understand the game realise that being unable to come out in top in 2 attempts or create very much in 180 minutes against Millwall at home perhaps does not bode that well for the season ahead at present.

Definitely Nick.
There's a lot of posters (and a few in the ground) who do seem to take wanting us to fail, to extremes. 2 games in 4 points. A good away win. Out of a cup where we clearly experimented with the line up. We would not have won it anyway. Forget last night, it is irrelevant.

Players need game time. They'll take 12 games or so to get into their stride and we could still be knocking off the rough edges by Christmas. But as we know, in this League, that can be enough for at least the play-offs. No team in this League is perfect. We've got enough quality, and whilst we don't have Gayle, people need to really get over that now. We do have money to bring in someone in January , if need be.

I think anything is possible, really, and I expect top 6 minimum. I don't see why not and I'm not basing anything on 2 League games, which have been ok. I'll Say it again. Forget last night.
(08-14-2019, 12:47 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: There's a lot of posters (and a few in the ground) who do seem to take wanting us to fail, to extremes.  2 games in 4 points. A good away win. Out of a cup where we clearly experimented with the line up. We would not have won it anyway. Forget last night, it is irrelevant.

Players need game time. They'll take 12 games or so to get into their stride and we could still be knocking off the rough edges by Christmas. But as we know, in this League, that can be enough for at least the play-offs. No team in this League is perfect. We've got enough quality, and whilst we don't have Gayle, people need to really get over that now. We do have money to bring in someone in January , if need be.

I think anything is possible, really, and I expect top 6 minimum. I don't see why not and I'm not basing anything on 2 League games, which have been ok. I'll Say it again. Forget last night.

Maybe not but it's realistically the only cup where you could get to a semi and maybe do something see Burton and Bristol in recent years.
So it's not irrelevant. Going out at home to some shitehouse team is disappointing and whilst like you say in the long run it's about the team and the league calling a cup exit at home irrelevant is ridiculous.

I suppose even our fans have submitted to the world view that trying to win a cup is an irrelevance compared to finishing 17th in the Premier league which for the majority seems to the the holy grail..
I for one consider both cups well worth winning and stay in the minds many more years then any place in the PL. Our FA Cup win is my proudest moment.
I usually favour us going as far as we can in cups but with this being financially our last meaningful attempt to go up for the foreseeable future I'm not so bothered this time.

However, what it highlighted about our strength in depth is definitely a concern.
(08-13-2019, 08:58 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 08:44 PM)The Surgeon Wrote: A team that can’t score and a team that can’t defend. Going to be an interesting season imo

We’ve scored and conceded the same number you fucking mong.

Which by my calculations, works out as a point a game ... language, Duffers, language!
(08-14-2019, 04:04 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: I for one consider both cups well worth winning and stay in the minds many more years then any place in the PL. Our FA Cup win is my proudest moment.

I love the FA Cup. The League Cup has never quite got into my heart.  I couldn't be bothered watching us slog past various clubs till we got knocked out by Man City's under 18 side. Fair play to those that went, I just can't be bothered.