Is this what you voted Brexit for?
Let’s hope we have the winning hand’

What a completely self inflicted problem and I’m intrigued to know how long these types of problems will persist if we leave on WTO rules? No one knows I suspect as no one has been stupid enough to do it before. Let’s hope we don’t have to.
Sounds like good news as hundreds of new jobs to be created
(08-10-2019, 11:42 AM)Sunshine Wrote: Sounds like good news as hundreds of new jobs to be created

Whilst it costs more to send and receive goods which can only be good for all of us!?!?
Personally i think many voted leave for issues of democracy and immigration and not so much always the economy. All anyone seems to bang on about in the remain camp is the economy. Of course it's extremely important, we can never pretend it isn't but life isn't just about money. Maybe a better quality of life can be had outside of the EU even if we are slightly poorer anyway!
(08-13-2019, 09:26 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Personally i think many voted leave for issues of democracy and immigration and not so much always the economy. All anyone seems to  bang on about in the remain camp is the economy. Of course it's extremely important, we can never pretend it isn't but life isn't just about money. Maybe a better quality of life can be had outside of the EU even if we are slightly poorer anyway!

In what way? What has hindered your quality of life as a consequence of the E.U.?
In fairness to Fenland I'd say that the two issues mentioned are the main reasons. The problem is that the immigration issue wasn't bottomed out - there were (dare I say) fear tactics used with the images of queues of refugees being used that didn't hold water. Also if there had been a decent discussion about the subject it would have very easily been shown that immigration from the EU is 'good' immigration.

Democracy is the other point whereby it wasn't discussed, and has been mentioned on here a few times. Appointments to certain EU bodies appear very undemocratic but again this needed to be discussed to see how it actually impacted on our lives - I'd say very little but am willing to listen to arguments.

Bottom line is that the EU discussion is a convenient sideshow for the government to cover up their mess - it's them nasty foreigners fault aint it guv.
Brilliant Brexiteers anymore bright ideas? Operation Yellow Hammer
The yellowhammer is a variety whose rate of decline has been sufficient for it to be given red list status. Allthough it is doing okay in Scotland.

Almost the perfect metaphor.
Sunlit uplands translation - planning for civil unrest, stockpiling of medicine and food, problems in Northern Ireland.

It’s almost like the WWII, I’m sure that’ll please a lot of Brexiteers if it transpires.
(08-14-2019, 10:42 AM)baggy1 Wrote: In fairness to Fenland I'd say that the two issues mentioned are the main reasons. The problem is that the immigration issue wasn't bottomed out - there were (dare I say) fear tactics used with the images of queues of refugees being used that didn't hold water. Also if there had been a decent discussion about the subject it would have very easily been shown that immigration from the EU is 'good' immigration.

Democracy is the other point whereby it wasn't discussed, and has been mentioned on here a few times. Appointments to certain EU bodies appear very undemocratic but again this needed to be discussed to see how it actually impacted on our lives - I'd say very little but am willing to listen to arguments.

Bottom line is that the EU discussion is a convenient sideshow for the government to cover up their mess - it's them nasty foreigners fault aint it guv.

I am very much in favour of immigration but the system we have now because of being in the EU denies family members and friends from Commonwealth countries from coming and living and working in the UK. I have had employees from Canada, Australia and other Commonwealth countries who haven's met the criteria to stay. I've even had a worker from New Zealand married to a brit doing a PHD at Cambridge in some high end science being refused a visa because he didn't quite earn the threshold amount to support his spouse! He has since jacked in his course and they have gone to live in New Zealand! So for me the system doesn't work as i would like it to.

(08-14-2019, 07:36 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 09:26 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Personally i think many voted leave for issues of democracy and immigration and not so much always the economy. All anyone seems to  bang on about in the remain camp is the economy. Of course it's extremely important, we can never pretend it isn't but life isn't just about money. Maybe a better quality of life can be had outside of the EU even if we are slightly poorer anyway!

In what way? What has hindered your quality of life as a consequence of the E.U.?

It has hindered the lives of good working people denied the right to live here if they don't live in the UK even though many have much closer ties with the UK than many of the millions who have come to work here or not work here but claim benefits and take advantage of our systems - i don't blame them for that, people shouldn't be blamed for wanting a better life for themselves and their families, but our govts (and the vote of the people) have the right to change the systems we have accepted. I personally know of 1 family alone who have cost the taxpayer more than £1m in benefits. How many hardworking brits does it take to generate £1m of taxes to pay for that one family? The quality of life I mention relates to our independence and choice, less easy options for crims from russia and other eastern european countries to come and settle here, less people taking from our support systems who haven't yet put into those systems of benefit.