All gone a bit quiet...
(07-31-2019, 04:10 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 03:44 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 03:33 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:27 PM)cosmicted Wrote: Gayle is a journey man.
Surprised the Chinese haven't come in for him.

Prag I totally get the fee + salary. But its like I said we only need concern ourselves about this season. After that our window of opportunity is closed for good. All these thoughts about tomorrow - there is no tomorrow.

There’s far less likely to be a tomorrow for our club if we only cared about this season!

Let’s just sign Bale and to hell with whether we go the same way as Portsmouth, Birmingham and others who have been irresponsibly managed.  You can’t players on 4-year contracts when you the last 3 years of the wage contract cannot possibly be paid.

If we don't go up, we sell him maybe we take a hit let's say £7 million loss. When I look at the £15 million we spent on Burke it looks like a bargain. Obviously it would be better to get him on loan but that may end up costing us just as much. At this moment I cannot see where a proven goal scorer is coming from who is going to be cheaper.

Take a £7m loss in a year?  On top of a £19m further drop in parachute funding?  That would mean having to offload a further 2 or 3 decent players, merely digging an even deeper hole to get out of. 
Totally reckless.

We spent (allegedly) £15m on Burke at a time when we were a Premier League club with £120m per annum of Sky money and the cushion of parachute funding of £91m over 3 years if we went down. It was a risk that we could afford to take at that time. That’s hugely different from our current position with £7m of annual TV money and only £49m of parachute funding left.

There are dozens of “cheaper” striker options out there which won’t bankrupt us. Whether they are quite as good as Gayle is another matter.  The loans market is the one which will provide the solution - as it did with Gayle.  A club of our standing in the Championship only gets players like that as one-season loans.

(07-31-2019, 03:53 PM)Sliced Wrote: The simple fact is that if we don't get in a goalscorer of Gayles calibre in the next week we almost certainly won't be going up this season. People can say it's a short term decision but without someone like that our long term future is in the championship.

Agreed - but in loan as per Gayle

Prag i'm not disagreeing with anything your saying and your right Burke's signing was indeed under different circumstances.
If it's not Gayle it simply has to be someone who is just as good. I think we are all agreed we need at least 1 striker who can score goals. The loans were our best players last season, I believe Filp will be a great loan signing, we just need another couple.
I'd take Abrahams on loan given the chance - 25 goals for the seals in 37 appearances last season and still only 21.
If we could get these type of players on loan I think they would be here. Barnes / Gayle were not last minute decisions and IIRC Holgate signed on Jan the 1st.
(07-31-2019, 04:36 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Prag I totally get the fee + salary. But its like I said we only need concern ourselves about this season. After that our window of opportunity is closed for good. All these thoughts about tomorrow - there is no tomorrow.

There’s far less likely to be a tomorrow for our club if we only cared about this season!

Let’s just sign Bale and to hell with whether we go the same way as Portsmouth, Birmingham and others who have been irresponsibly managed.  You can’t players on 4-year contracts when you the last 3 years of the wage contract cannot possibly be paid.

If we don't go up, we sell him maybe we take a hit let's say £7 million loss. When I look at the £15 million we spent on Burke it looks like a bargain. Obviously it would be better to get him on loan but that may end up costing us just as much. At this moment I cannot see where a proven goal scorer is coming from who is going to be cheaper.

Take a £7m loss in a year?  On top of a £19m further drop in parachute funding?  That would mean having to offload a further 2 or 3 decent players, merely digging an even deeper hole to get out of. 
Totally reckless.

We spent (allegedly) £15m on Burke at a time when we were a Premier League club with £120m per annum of Sky money and the cushion of parachute funding of £91m over 3 years if we went down. It was a risk that we could afford to take at that time. That’s hugely different from our current position with £7m of annual TV money and only £49m of parachute funding left.

There are dozens of “cheaper” striker options out there which won’t bankrupt us. Whether they are quite as good as Gayle is another matter.  The loans market is the one which will provide the solution - as it did with Gayle.  A club of our standing in the Championship only gets players like that as one-season loans.

(07-31-2019, 03:53 PM)Sliced Wrote: The simple fact is that if we don't get in a goalscorer of Gayles calibre in the next week we almost certainly won't be going up this season. People can say it's a short term decision but without someone like that our long term future is in the championship.

Prag i'm not disagreeing with anything your saying and your right Burke's signing was indeed under different circumstances.
If it's not Gayle it simply has to be someone who is just as good. I think we are all agreed we need at least 1 striker who can score goals. The loans were our best players last season, I believe Filp will be a great loan signing, we just need another couple.
I'd take Abrahams on loan given the chance - 25 goals for the seals in 37 appearances last season and still only 21.
If we could get these type of players on loan I think they would be here. Barnes / Gayle were not last minute decisions and IIRC Holgate signed on Jan the 1st.

Abrahams is rumoured to be on 70k per week!!!
(07-31-2019, 03:58 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:

At this stage, I suspect that is the stark truth.

Hard to disagree.
Some of our signings look decent BUT we will be nowhere without GOALS and that element looks to be sadly lacking in both our signings and young players so far.
(07-31-2019, 04:36 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Prag I totally get the fee + salary. But its like I said we only need concern ourselves about this season. After that our window of opportunity is closed for good. All these thoughts about tomorrow - there is no tomorrow.

Totally reckless.

We are in agreement ? It needs to be loans

Unlikely to be Abrahams as Chelsea won’t be able to release him due to their transfer embargo, but the next week is likely to be very interesting (I expect)
I thought Abrahams looked very ordinary. I'd actually be quite disappointed if he was our loan forward. Although, I'm not sure what to expect instead!!!
Maupay to Brighton for c£20m looks likely if the McGuire/Dunk/Webster chain happens. Brighton to get £45m for Dunk to fund purchase of Webster and Maupay.
(07-31-2019, 02:59 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 02:27 PM)cosmicted Wrote: Gayle is a journey man.
Surprised the Chinese haven't come in for him.

Prag I totally get the fee + salary. But its like I said we only need concern ourselves about this season. After that our window of opportunity is closed for good. All these thoughts about tomorrow - there is no tomorrow.

Totally reckless.

There’s no point trying to reason with reminomics.