Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the Express!
In the 1990s I built several packhouses in the Vale of Evesham. I know exactly what they do for piss poor wages.
I'm talking about tomatoes not tobacco! Are you agreeing that British workers won't work for the same salary as an Eastern European?
I'm confused. So Proth and MT are suggesting we pay agricultural workers a decent wage to attract workers from the low level of unemployed in this country. As JJ rightly points out it will have to be a hell of a lot to attract any of those that are.

Proth and MT say they will stoically suck up the costs at the till, are you also prepared to do so for other areas where we rely on workers from the EU e.g. hospitality, distribution and health? May I again suggest that many of your fellow leave supporters may not be as enlightened as you. Never mind remoaner bollocks Mail/Express readers are the whiniest bastards going. They'll be looking to blame someone.

Are you conceding we are reliant on immigrant workers in this country?
I've never, ever claimed that we aren't reliant on immigrant workers. Neither have I ever claimed that the unemployed in this country would ever take up that type work, they clearly won't.

As for wage rises, Heath will confirm that many times I have suggested sweeping away the benefits system for the working poor and increasing the minimum wage to compensate. This would have the dual effect of increasing wages / reducing Gordon Brown's 'Client State' where labour is necessary and improving productivity and mechanisation where cheap labour is the current substitute.
Seems strange - apparent right winger wanting to increase workers wages - apparent left winger happy to keep wages down so shop prices are kept down. Not sure that was the original intention of the unions and the Labour party - but hey ho, maybe bring back slavery then we could really bring prices down  Smile
(02-09-2017, 08:40 AM)Strawman Wrote: Seems strange - apparent right winger wanting to increase workers wages - apparent left winger happy to keep wages down so shop prices are kept down. Not sure that was the original intention of the unions and the Labour party - but hey ho, maybe bring back slavery then we could really bring prices down  Smile

I want to stop subsidising employers paying below a market wage Straw, that's perfectly consistent with Hayekian principles. Whereas the Left needs poor people as its Client Vote.
Where do I support suppressing wages to keep prices down? I'm just making the point (yet again) that many leave supporters will be moaning their heads off if prices rise.

If we are reliant on immigrant workers and Brexit leads to fewer coming from the EU where are they going to come from? May I suggest that if their skin colour does not suit that many of your Brexit brethren may be a tad pissed off.
We could pay them more for sure which would make the prices go up and then they would be more expensive than other countries food meaning farmers wouldn't be able to sell the produce.
Unless you want to them heavily charge imported food to compensate which doesn't seem very "free market"
(02-09-2017, 08:59 AM)Zoltanger Wrote: Where do I support suppressing wages to keep prices down? I'm just making the point (yet again) that many leave supporters will be moaning their heads off if prices rise.

If we are reliant on immigrant workers and Brexit leads to fewer coming from the EU where are they going to come from? May I suggest that if their skin colour does not suit that many of your Brexit brethren may be a tad pissed off.

Actually I support equivalence of opportunity from all countries in the world, not based on the discriminatory EU rules of freedom of movement for countries of mainly white origin. All the EU and it's supporters have done while calling people racist is to move the borders of it's discrimination.

Immigration is necessary but should be based on skills, requirement and equivelance. The majority of NHS staff that is not UK national, for instance, is taken not from he EU but from other countries. They of course have to jump through hoops to get visas etc.

But you keep suggesting that leave voters are racist or associate with racists whilst ignoring your own support of discriminatory practices
Alternative headline :

"Increase in workers standards & wages due to market forces, Capitalism works"