Rogers FFS
We could do with some good news ASAP:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba...ogers.html
Fuck him then.
Comparisons with Dele Ali, I'd say that goes to his hair do.

As an aside, will we even have any Academy players left come the start of the season? No first team and no Academy, could be an interesting first XI!
You'd like to think City will give us him back for a bit in a couple of years.
Surely the academy is a waste of money under the current system. What good does it do us if anyone decent buggers off for peanuts.

Your also expect one of them to work out that 20 years actually playing professional football pays better than 3 years on a "big club's" books then the scrapheap
Gutted. A massive Albion fan too.

Might as well close down the Academy. If we can’t retain Rogers, we have zero chance with anyone else.
It must be a piece of piss being a scout for the big clubs. Simply scour the lesser clubs academies and then take all of the players with the most potential for peanuts. It doesn't matter if loads of them fail to make the grade since you only need one to come good and then you will be golden. I don't have an issue with young lads signing for big clubs but clubs of our size need to be compensated accordingly otherwise we are wasting our time.

The ridiculous thing is that it is possible to put 8-10 years into a players development and then receive a pittance. Whereas once players are older you can sign them for a decent fee and then if they have one decent season you can usually flog them for 3-4 times what you paid for them. Ironic really since the input from the coaching staff is probably much less in those circumstances than in the development of the youngsters. Money is killing football.
You have to assume parents with pound signs flashing in their eyes have a lot to do with it as well
(07-08-2019, 03:18 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Surely the academy is a waste of money under the current system. What good does it do us if anyone decent buggers off for peanuts.

Your also expect one of them to work out that 20 years actually playing professional football pays better than 3 years on a "big club's" books then the scrapheap

Does it though? I mean I read that Louie Barry had been offered £20k a week for 5 years. So around £5m quid earned by the time he's 21! He can quit football and do whatever he wants, he won't even need to play for 20 years.

As for Rogers, someone said that Man C basic wage is £30k a week... Compared to Leko who is reportedly on £3k a week. It's easy to see why the kids eff right off.
Well I didn't know it was that bad tbh. 30k a week at 16!
Insane. What else is to be done other than massively increase compensation for the original club. Can't see wage caps for under 18s catching on