Birmingham Half Marathon
(07-03-2019, 08:32 PM)TheAlbionWay Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 07:57 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Thanks I thought it maybe something like that, but the London marathon had over 40,000 runners that's a lot of "chips" to issue / collect. I'm assuming the chips are issued to the runners as and when they are registered to take part?

They are commonly disposable these days and are attached to the back of your race number sent to runners in the post pre race.

Quite slick these days.

They used to make you cable tie them to your shoe laces before the race and people would cut them off at the finish line to reuse them somewhere else.

They still do the shoe tags for London, they just don’t bother taking them back.
(07-03-2019, 07:57 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Thanks I thought it maybe something like that, but the London marathon had over 40,000 runners that's a lot of "chips" to issue / collect. I'm assuming the chips are issued to the runners as and when they are registered to take part?

They are commonly disposable these days and are attached to the back of your race number sent to runners in the post pre race.

Quite slick these days.

They used to make you cable tie them to your shoe laces before the race and people would cut them off at the finish line to reuse them somewhere else.

Just goes to show your never to old to learn anything. It's one of those things I never really thought about.
I find it hard to get my head around timed records as every course is different, hence every course must have it's own record time. Altitude - uphills - downhill - flats - weather all must impact on times achieved? I guess world record times are only possible at certain courses at specific times of the year?
(07-03-2019, 08:48 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:

Quite slick these days.

Just goes to show your never to old to learn anything. It's one of those things I never really thought about.
I find it hard to get my head around timed records as every course is different, hence every course must have it's own record time. Altitude - uphills - downhill - flats - weather all must impact on times achieved? I guess world record times are only possible at certain courses at specific times of the year?
Your probably right, to be fair a world record is so far away from me I’ve never had to worry about one 

Would assume the courses have to be pre approved to ensure there’s no cheating and also so it’s not a ‘fast’ course with a lot of downhills on it.

Fwiw I’m doing the Black Country half marathon on Saturday which is all on the canals between Wolverhampton and finishes in Brindleyplace place.

That’s a nice flat and pretty social run for beginners.

In case anyone was interested the start times are staggered over about 4/5 hours so it’s more like a steady stream of runners rather than mass start on a narrow canal towpath.
(07-03-2019, 09:32 PM)TheAlbionWay Wrote:

Quite slick these days.

Your probably right, to be fair a world record is so far away from me I’ve never had to worry about one 

Would assume the courses have to be pre approved to ensure there’s no cheating and also so it’s not a ‘fast’ course with a lot of downhills on it.

Fwiw I’m doing the Black Country half marathon on Saturday which is all on the canals between Wolverhampton and finishes in Brindleyplace place.

In case anyone was interested the start times are staggered over about 4/5 hours so it’s more like a steady stream of runners rather than mass start on a narrow canal towpath.

I'm far to far away at this time of year, to even have a looksy, Enjoy the race though. I will be back in the UK in October so may check out the B'ham event.

Quite slick these days.

I hate that race. It's far too quite, not enough room to pass people when pairs have to run side by side all the way and if its a hot day you absolutely bake on those canal tow paths.
(07-03-2019, 03:06 PM)Duffers Wrote: My current PB for a half is 1:57 so under 1:55 ideally.

How about you?

I think you’ll be fine to get a PB. Last year I went into it hoping for below 2hrs and got 1:51 mainly because it’s a fairly easy course with a decent amount of downhill!
(07-03-2019, 01:58 PM)Duffers Wrote: Anybody doing it this year?

Ready for a new challenge post marathon so have signed up.

Aiming at 1:35 or under with a bit of luck.
(07-04-2019, 08:34 AM)Lightnin Wrote:

Quite slick these days.

I hate that race. It's far too quite, not enough room to pass people when pairs have to run side by side all the way and if its a hot day you absolutely bake on those canal tow paths.

I do it most years, I quite enjoy it, and with the exception of the tunnel I never really struggle to get round people.

Always bake though, think I enjoy finishing smack in the middle of town for refreshment more than anything. 

You do definitely bake though!
Any feedback on how the BC half marathon went on the weekend?