BBC website favouring Women's Football?
(06-14-2019, 04:47 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 03:56 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: In 2019 do we really have a thread that is criticising the placement of women’s football in a list while there is a World Cup going on?

They’ll be getting the vote next.

I used to question whether there were barriers to equality then I read crap like this and it opens my eyes.

Most are questioning the BBC’s feminist agenda in general, not specifically the World Cup. I think their journalism has become pc obsessed dumbed down rubbish. Some think it’s their duty as a national broadcaster to promote it. Each to their own, but I find their journalism to be more like a lifestyle magazine for teenage girls.

I know what you mean when the disability games were on there was loads of disability news and sports stories! Flipping agendas all over the place.

What news would you like more of?

Isn’t it an equality agenda? Is that a bad thing?
(06-14-2019, 04:52 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 04:47 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 03:56 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: In 2019 do we really have a thread that is criticising the placement of women’s football in a list while there is a World Cup going on?

I used to question whether there were barriers to equality then I read crap like this and it opens my eyes.

Most are questioning the BBC’s feminist agenda in general, not specifically the World Cup. I think their journalism has become pc obsessed dumbed down rubbish. Some think it’s their duty as a national broadcaster to promote it. Each to their own, but I find their journalism to be more like a lifestyle magazine for teenage girls.

What news would you like more of?

Isn’t it an equality agenda? Is that a bad thing?

Rewind ten years and the BBC's sports website was good. A fair mix of balanced reporting, historical articles, and reasonably proportionate sports reporting on what interests the public. The last few years its become more and more skewed with a disproportionate amount of feminist slanted articles. As I say, each to their own, but I find it cringeworthy (and I watch quite a bit of womens sport, mainly tennis grand slams, golf majors and athletics when major events come round). But I, and many others it seems, find it poor journalism. Comment ssections on such articles have been almost completely removed as they were being repeatedly told this by the public, so we're not alone.

Their "equality agenda" has IMO gone too far and is way beyond balanced. Like I say its been dumbed down too and i don't actually believe it does women's sport any good. A Scottish womens footballer talking about not being able to watch Love Island is on one headline right now..... I mentioned on an earlier post that there were 3 of the top 8 articles on the effects of periods on womens performance a few weeks ago. There were all sorts of popular sports articles pushed well below them. This is obviously only one example. A story about a local squash tournament in Spain giving out a sex toy as a prize made the headlines due to it causing a "sexism storm" (whereas really hardly anyone gives a shit in the UK apart from a few people on twitter). Seriously, a local spanish squash tournament in Spain being reported as a "sexism storm" on the leading UK sports website?! As I say, each to their own, but its absolute imbalanced drivel IMO. These are only a couple of examples but its become a blatant trend the last couple of years on their website.

But as Spandau and others have said, as soon as anyone gives views such as this, we're naturally sexist, chauvenist, precious etc etc. In reality, I just like more balanced and better journalism. The current stuff makes me cringe.
(06-14-2019, 04:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 12:18 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 12:16 PM)The Real PK Wrote: Is there anything more cringe-worthy than a male feminist?

I asked one. He said they aren't cringeworthy, and his opinion is more important than anyone else's on this subject, so I guess the answer is yes

I genuinely don’t get why this annoys you? The idea that someone who experiences something first hand is going to be better placed than someone pontificating from the sidelines to talk about a subject is a pretty solid argument. Yes sometimes this maybe skewed by the persons intelligence, communication skills or ability to manage things but in general I think experiencing / having working knowledge of things is better than just an opinion. That isn’t to say you can’t have one, which no one has said you can’t have abs far as I can see.

In answer to PK why would you not want to be on the side of feminism if it’s objective is to be treated equally? I’d like to think my daughter will be able to do any job she wants regardless of what gender is the norm in that industry.

It’s actually 1975 still around here.

In that case can someone tell those dozy mares to put their knickers on and make me a coffee. NATO standard!
Flag shagging,misogynistic,covidiot,anitvax gammon.
Or just a normal white bloke.
WHEN THEY SWOPPING SHIRTS??? BOING BOING
Fish, bottom, banana
(06-14-2019, 12:16 PM)The Real PK Wrote: Is there anything more cringe-worthy than a male feminist?

I asked one. He said they aren't cringeworthy, and his opinion is more important than anyone else's on this subject, so I guess the answer is yes

I genuinely don’t get why this annoys you? The idea that someone who experiences something first hand is going to be better placed than someone pontificating from the sidelines to talk about a subject is a pretty solid argument. Yes sometimes this maybe skewed by the persons intelligence, communication skills or ability to manage things but in general I think experiencing / having working knowledge of things is better than just an opinion. That isn’t to say you can’t have one, which no one has said you can’t have abs far as I can see.

In answer to PK why would you not want to be on the side of feminism if it’s objective is to be treated equally? I’d like to think my daughter will be able to do any job she wants regardless of what gender is the norm in that industry.

It annoys me (admittedly very mildly) because this argument is only ever used to dismiss different opinions, which is exactly what happened earlier in the thread. Someone had a different opinion so it was a case of implying that it's really irrelevant what they have to say on the matter because they aren't female. It may not have been explicitly stated that someone can't have an opinion, but as I said it's only ever brought up when someone's opinion is against the 'woke' stance. If I was to say "women should be given an automatic subsidy of £4000 per year in case they get pregnant because there are more single mothers than single fathers" no one would reply "well, you're not female so your opinion isn't worth much, we should ask women what they think instead".

It's fine to give credence to someone who has more first hand experience in many instances, but it's possible to do that without dismissing other opinions.

Another point of course is that those involved aren't always the best placed to comment. I'm sure trans athletes may argue that they can compete against women because they are women now so it's a level playing field, while a doctor may say "well, actually all those years of testosterone mean you have an unfair advantage over women who were born female".

The doctor is in a better place to make this assessment, not the athlete.
(06-14-2019, 06:44 PM)Sliced Wrote:

It annoys me (admittedly very mildly) because this argument is only ever used to dismiss different opinions, which is exactly what happened earlier in the thread. Someone had a different opinion so it was a case of implying that it's really irrelevant what they have to say on the matter because they aren't female. It may not have been explicitly stated that someone can't have an opinion, but as I said it's only ever brought up when someone's opinion is against the 'woke' stance. If I was to say "women should be given an automatic subsidy of £4000 per year in case they get pregnant because there are more single mothers than single fathers" no one would reply "well, you're not female so your opinion isn't worth much, we should ask women what they think instead".

It's fine to give credence to someone who has more first hand experience in many instances, but it's possible to do that without dismissing other opinions.

Another point of course is that those involved aren't always the best placed to comment. I'm sure trans athletes may argue that they can compete against women because they are women now so it's a level playing field, while a doctor may say "well, actually all those years of testosterone mean you have an unfair advantage over women who were born female".

The doctor is in a better place to make this assessment, not the athlete.

Whether you agree or not I will always add more weight to the opinions of those that are living through something than someone’s casual opinion. A doctor is an expert not some casual observer in the example you’ve given. 

If I was one of the two women punched in the face this week for not satisfying some scum bags wishes I would want to know their opinion first before I start asking the others if they felt safe and in their opinion most of the issues had been resolved to paraphrase an earlier post.
The BBC is just bigging up the product they currently have the rights too. It’s just marketing.
(06-14-2019, 09:44 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: The BBC is just bigging up the product they currently have the rights too. It’s just marketing.

I was starting to think I was the only person who had spotted this.
[Image: pair-of-large-edwardian-water-jugs-233965.jpg]