Ending free TV licences for over-75s
How does everyone feel about this?

Personally, I think they should look at means testing it. There will be lots of pensioners who can't afford this but equally there will be quite a lot who can easily afford it (I know several affluent pensioners who wouldn't be impacted by having to fork out £150 or £12 per month). In fact, while they're at it, review the free bus passes and winter fuel payments and push the saved money into social care.
Depends on the cost savings because the administration required to complete this might mean that the saving will be negligible and I think there is a political statement hidden in this. The BBC know that there are a large number of pensioners who don't claim the correct pension credit, so by making this statement they know that it will cost the government more (in pension credits claimed) than if they'd have funded the licence it for the BBC in the 1st place.
The hypocrisy of the government patting the Normandy veterans on the head a few days ago and then taking the free TV license.
5½ million over 75 in the UK at £150 a licence gives £825 M against a full budget cost of £4.722 Bn, so 0.1% of their budget if it was applied to everyone and they all live alone. I'd estimate about a quarter of them would fall into this so basically this will give them about 0.03 of their budget costs. Hardly worth it in practice and definitely not worth punishing people who've paid into the system for at least 40 years

(06-12-2019, 12:40 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: The hypocrisy of the government patting the Normandy veterans on the head a few days ago and then taking the free TV license.

It isn't the government doing this - they have a lot of faults but this isn't one of theirs
(06-12-2019, 01:10 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 5½ million over 75 in the UK at £150 a licence gives £825 M against a full budget cost of £4.722 Bn, so 0.1% of their budget if it was applied to everyone and they all live alone. I'd estimate about a quarter of them would fall into this so basically this will give them about 0.03 of their budget costs. Hardly worth it in practice and definitely not worth punishing people who've paid into the system for at least 40 years

(06-12-2019, 12:40 PM)bradesbaggie Wrote: The hypocrisy of the government patting the Normandy veterans on the head a few days ago and then taking the free TV license.

It isn't the government doing this - they have a lot of faults but this isn't one of theirs
That's what I thought. When you look at the bureaucratic mammoth that is the BBC (and whatever the regular criticism, it's output can be spectacularly good), the amount of revenue from this move is peanuts.  Although, maybe Jeremy Vine, Gary Lineker, Claire Balding, Humphries, Shearer, Winkelman, Marr and co might take a little less and donate it to the cause?