Oh for a Spanish liver
Tell you what I've noticed, whilst loosely on this subject, my hangovers aren't anywhere near as bad now I've packed the fags in.

Usually knock down anything between 4-8 pints on a Weds night and same again on a Thurs night, and where I wouldn't exactly be dying on a Thurs and Fri morning, I'd feel a bit groggy until 11am-ish. Now I wake up clear as a bell, and that's only started happening in the last 12 weeks.
(06-12-2019, 11:44 AM)The Real PK Wrote: Tell you what I've noticed, whilst loosely on this subject, my hangovers aren't anywhere near as bad now I've packed the fags in.

Usually knock down anything between 4-8 pints on a Weds night and same again on a Thurs night, and where I wouldn't exactly be dying on a Thurs and Fri morning, I'd feel a bit groggy until 11am-ish. Now I wake up clear as a bell, and that's only started happening in the last 12 weeks.
You have some constitution, but a lot is dependent on size. I can't work right if I've had more than a few pints in me, hence the reason I don't drink in midweek. I've also always seen it as a weekend treat.
Think most people I know who can hold ale reckon about 6 pints of regular beer is the golden number, where if you stop then you'll be ok the next day. However, after 6 pints it'd hard to say no to the 7th etc!
(06-12-2019, 12:28 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: You have some constitution, but a lot is dependent on size.

That's what she said
I noticed the hangovers ease up when I stopped the smokes.

On the point the OP made the reduction in unit guide per week is due to recentish findings . In people that drink above those levels have a much greater chance of getting Shitbox cancer. So if you work in health care you have pass on the advice.
Follow it or not your newly informed choice. I can’t follow these guides as I use alcohol to chill out at weekends and sometimes use problematically .
(06-12-2019, 01:33 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: I noticed the hangovers ease up when I stopped the smokes.

On the point the OP made the reduction in unit guide per week is due to recentish findings . In people that drink above those levels have a much greater chance of getting Shitbox cancer. So if you work in health care you have pass on the advice.
Follow it or not your newly informed choice. I can’t follow these guides as I use alcohol to chill out at weekends and sometimes use problematically .

It is a bullshit number created by Alchohol Concern which is the guise of the Temperance Movement;

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/th...-drinking/

"There is a telling comment in the minutes of one of the meetings held to reassess the drinking guidelines. It says that it is ‘important to bear in mind that, while guidelines might have limited influence on behaviour, they could be influential as a basis for government policies’. Influencing government policy is the real aim of the game. "
You wouldn't be so dismissive if it was a salt report you bad lad.
(06-12-2019, 02:16 PM)The Real PK Wrote: You wouldn't be so dismissive if it was a salt report you bad lad.

Big Grin  #Saltkills
The slides I saw re safe drinking we’re from some study by a bunch university’s . The talk was delivered by My consultant. If you drink 14 units per week if you do you have significantly increased chance of G. I. T cancers . Just saying . We are all grown ups you can just ignore it.
(06-12-2019, 03:44 PM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: The slides I saw re safe drinking we’re from some study by a bunch university’s . The talk was delivered by My consultant.  If you drink 14 units per week if you do you have significantly increased chance of  G. I. T cancers .   Just saying . We are all grown ups you can just ignore it.

Must be at near epidemic proportions in Witton then, the twatty gits.
(06-11-2019, 09:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Just watched last nights Panorama, with our mate Adrian Chiles, called Britain’s Drink Problem. It started out with a woman whose liver collapsed after she spent years walloping around 100 plus units down her. The rest of it focused on how we, regardless of gender, should only have 14 units per week, say Government guidelines. 
Minimum unit pricing, as in Scotland, then discussed.
Personally found this whole programme ridiculously weak as no one with any semblance of sense can believe such a low guideline. As my title has shown, the guideline in Spain is way over double ours.
Like many I just drink weekends, but have a flip top head when the time is right. Equally, being Irish background have known many who can throw the drink down. Those who have fallen in love with the demon have never done so by sticking to 15 or so pints a week.
Think the demographics of the problem drinkers should be targeted clearer rather than trying to lecture us about drinking by pretending we’re in trouble so easily when the guideline is a farce.

I've never watched the Chiles programme, but I saw a clip on the BBC News channel in the kitchen at work. He was reviewing his drinking for the day - 4 pints of Guinness, 4 more bottles of beer before dinner, then wine with dinner (amount unspecified). Obviously a slight reduction from that 20+ units day to 2 units per day is the only way forward. Go for it Adrian.

Made me feel like a lightweight.