Our Academy Manager is going to the Vile
(06-11-2019, 02:47 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:51 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: There is no doubt that our production of youth players has improved over the past 13 years.

We seem to have developed some that have gone onto make a career in the game.

And the further we have gone into Harrison's tine in charge the more there seems to be coming through.

My quibble with youth development at the club may have nothing to do with him. But it is this, what happens to them when they reach the age of 18, they appear to stall. And sometimes this is just stalling at the club, both Roofe and Sawyers had to leave the club and take a step backwards before their careers seem to get back on track (for want of a better expression).

We seem  to struggle with the final step with our youngsters that of assimilation into the first team.

Yes, absolutely. Snagging as they transition from youth to first team football.

But there may be reasons for this. There are an awful lot of our ex kids making a career at the game right now.  In our 8 years at the top level the products of the academy weren't good enough to play there and so moved on. But  the Academy quality improved and we went backwards. Now we are at a level where a number look like they can do a job for us. I agree our managers have been slow to play them (for differing reasons of their own), but was the Academy improvement (under Harrison), due to our Prem money/status?  Or due to it evolving over time ?
It certainly seems like we're losing a good 'un and any business worth it's salt would be ensuring we don't lose any more. It shouldn't be impossible to replace the guy, but do we have the will to do it without resorting to cost cutting?
Floodgates firmly ajar ...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...ouie-barry
What's the point in the academy anyway? Anyone decent fucks off.
(06-11-2019, 03:51 PM)WWHO Wrote: Floodgates firmly ajar ...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...ouie-barry

Depressing really....like this fucking weather!!
Why the fuck would you want to go to Barcelona, when you could stay in Sandwell? FFS    Rolleyes
At least with Harrison gone they won’t want any future stars! Every cloud
(06-11-2019, 04:08 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Why the fuck would you want to go to Barcelona, when you could stay in Sandwell? FFS    Rolleyes

There is pretty much no club in the country which could compete with the lure of Barcelona, but the Wim Doomed crew will still point to it as an indication of our imminent decline.
I'd agree, if that was my lad I'd do the same. Still not a great sign that we constantly lose our best players.
(06-11-2019, 04:08 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Why the fuck would you want to go to Barcelona, when you could stay in Sandwell? FFS    Rolleyes

Indeed... this move could set him up for life, and despite the fact we’re fans, even if it was our own kids we’d no doubt be pushing him in the direction of the Camp Nou. 

The structure of Spanish football means younger players have much more opportunities early in their careers, and Barça have a far better record of developing and crucially integrating, their kids. They also show a lot of patience with a lot of younger players not embedding themselves until their early 20s.

If the kid goes he should go with our best wishes, I hope the lad makes it, and our anger should be directed at FIFA, UEFA and the toothless rules that continue to allow this type of poaching.
(06-11-2019, 06:14 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

If the kid goes he should go with our best wishes, I hope the lad makes it, and our anger should be directed at FIFA, UEFA and the toothless rules that continue to allow this type of poaching.

Yep.