Competition intensifies to see who can be the most right wing Tory leader...
(06-12-2019, 10:46 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Boris championing proper funding of public services after consistently voting to cut public spending.  He's cheered for (rightly) slamming Corbyn for not weeding out anti-semitism from the Labour party whilst the same crowd heckle a journalist who quiz him about some of the overtly racist things he's said. What sort of flat earth hypocrites want this bloke to be the next PM.

Was just thinking the same thing. Just seen a BBC reporter quizzing him on certain issues which he couldn't give a sensible answer to, he just blustered his way through it.
Yet his supporters are cheering and clapping him.
Has politics in this country fallen off a cliff to the extent that a man who comes across as a complete embarrassment is favourite to be the next leader of this country. 

WTF?
(06-12-2019, 07:33 AM)Pontificator Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 04:28 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 08:00 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:27 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are just stupid, and the same job doesn't pay the same everywhere in the country.

Plus some jobs don’t pay as much but offer more to society. Saying such a glib things as “work harder” is the height of crass stupidity. Actually it’s worse than that it’s dangerously flippant and utterly stupid.

Borin Baggie - it's about being fair not stupid! But I agree a raise to the threshold of personal tax allowance is also a good idea. People should generally keep what they earn but of course some national services do need funding. I would prefer the govt put higher taxes on some things we buy - luxury goods for example and just think taking 40% of your pay when earning under £80k is criminal - and no I don't earn that much yet!!!!

It isn't 40% of your pay, it's 40% of anything over £50k. Anything you earn under that is at the previous rate. That's how our tax system works. e.g. if you're on £50,001, then that higher rate only applies to the £1 over the threshold, meaning your contribution to the higher rate is 40p.

And taxing goods is regressive, it puts disproportionate pressure on the poor.

Of course if you have the chance to do some extra work to the tune of £1000 you do it for £500. Why bother?

If you're in a position to not to care about £500 then I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy.
(06-12-2019, 05:23 PM)tiptontown Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 10:46 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Boris championing proper funding of public services after consistently voting to cut public spending.  He's cheered for (rightly) slamming Corbyn for not weeding out anti-semitism from the Labour party whilst the same crowd heckle a journalist who quiz him about some of the overtly racist things he's said. What sort of flat earth hypocrites want this bloke to be the next PM.

Was just thinking the same thing. Just seen a BBC reporter quizzing him on certain issues which he couldn't give a sensible answer to, he just blustered his way through it.
Yet his supporters are cheering and clapping him.
Has politics in this country fallen off a cliff to the extent that a man who comes across as a complete embarrassment is favourite to be the next leader of this country. 

WTF?

It's worse than that. The Torygraph yesterday were headlining on how Battling Boris could attract well into the thirties for the Tories, and how that coudl garner a majority of about 141 (I forget the details). Telegraph saw this as a triumph worth celebrating.

Meanwhile I'm left thinking about  how the likely 60-70% opposition will react and whether the UK now classes as a quasi-democracy. And thats before the idea of pygmies proroging parliament to force Brexit and save the Tory party.

Labour, meanwhile, pfft.
I can only assume that the IQ of the nation has dramatically declined over the last few years.
(06-13-2019, 06:34 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I can only assume that the IQ of the nation has dramatically declined over the last few years.

I see it differently. People are better educated and more critical than ever before. That gives them the belief that they can understand complex issue. However, global complexity and interconnectedness has outstripped our (growing) capacity to understand--and certainly our ability to focus long enough to have a chance of a reflective view. That leaves people frustrated and liable to believe simplified explanations.

Ally this with a denigration of pure learning for a celebration of applied knowledge and you've got a ship unmoored. 

These things facilitate that blithering idiot Boris and Depraved Donny and promises of easy medicine for the disengaged.