Competition intensifies to see who can be the most right wing Tory leader...
(06-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:27 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: I think a move to raise the 40% tax threshold towards £80k is a great idea. Let people be incentivised to work harder and earn more knowing if you do you keep more in your pocket which is exactly how it should be! After all, who is better at spending your money - you or the continually shite red and blue govt we end up with!

If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are just stupid, and the same job doesn't pay the same everywhere in the country.

Plus some jobs don’t pay as much but offer more to society. Saying such a glib things as “work harder” is the height of crass stupidity. Actually it’s worse than that it’s dangerously flippant and utterly stupid.

It's not glib, maybe you are just one of those who never bothered to try and blame everyone else for your own laziness or just think by typing out broad generalisations and insults it makes you feel better. I've worked hard to create a business and provide jobs to people (by working harder as it happens!) and paying above the industry norms so I get frustrated when I see how much tax the govt cream off us all only to continually waste it.

Borin Baggie - it's about being fair not stupid! But I agree a raise to the threshold of personal tax allowance is also a good idea. People should generally keep what they earn but of course some national services do need funding. I would prefer the govt put higher taxes on some things we buy - luxury goods for example and just think taking 40% of your pay when earning under £80k is criminal - and no I don't earn that much yet!!!!
(06-11-2019, 08:00 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: I think a move to raise the 40% tax threshold towards £80k is a great idea. Let people be incentivised to work harder and earn more knowing if you do you keep more in your pocket which is exactly how it should be! After all, who is better at spending your money - you or the continually shite red and blue govt we end up with!

If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are just stupid, and the same job doesn't pay the same everywhere in the country.

Plus some jobs don’t pay as much but offer more to society. Saying such a glib things as “work harder” is the height of crass stupidity. Actually it’s worse than that it’s dangerously flippant and utterly stupid.

It's not glib, maybe you are just one of those who never bothered to try and blame everyone else for your own laziness or just think by typing out broad generalisations and insults it makes you feel better. I've worked hard to create a business and provide jobs to people (by working harder as it happens!) and paying above the industry norms so I get frustrated when I see how much tax the govt cream off us all only to continually waste it.

Borin Baggie - it's about being fair not stupid! But I agree a raise to the threshold of personal tax allowance is also a good idea. People should generally keep what they earn but of course some national services do need funding. I would prefer the govt put higher taxes on some things we buy - luxury goods for example and just think taking 40% of your pay when earning under £80k is criminal - and no I don't earn that much yet!!!!

Making assumptions about me doesn't make your opinion anymore valid. I'm doing fine thank you and work my bollocks off for my family, I only come on here as I work for myself so it's the equivalent of a tea break etc. 

The fact is some jobs pay more than others no matter how hard you work, so the idea you should be rewarded for working in a sector that already pays decent wages, whilst others do jobs that they wouldn't sully themselves to do (and are effectively consigned to poverty) is pertinent and is relevant to accusing you of a glib statement. The value of a persons job to society doesn't always match the salaries received, so I will carry on thinking and saying that giving tax breaks to the comfortable / well off is morally wrong given the cuts we have seen to those who are the most vulnerable in society. As was said by Ghandi "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." This government has treated them appallingly and will only get worse with those standing for leadership now. I think it's fair to say they are by the far the worst government in living memory and an embarrassment to the country.
Fenlands assumption that there are a seemingly infinite number of £80k per year jobs for those who work hard is quite something. I suppose all those nurses working 12hour night shifts should just care more and work harder too?
I'd benefit from lower taxes at the higher end but it wouldn't (couldn't) make me work harder.  I work 7 days a week all hours as it is (including a lot of pro bono work - more than I ought, really).  Whatever the tax is, it is.
(06-11-2019, 10:30 AM)hudds Wrote: I'd benefit from lower taxes at the higher end but it wouldn't (couldn't) make me work harder.  I work 7 days a week all hours as it is (including a lot of pro bono work - more than I ought, really).  Whatever the tax is, it is.

Lazy bastard

It isn't 40% of your pay, it's 40% of anything over £50k. Anything you earn under that is at the previous rate. That's how our tax system works. e.g. if you're on £50,001, then that higher rate only applies to the £1 over the threshold, meaning your contribution to the higher rate is 40p.

And taxing goods is regressive, it puts disproportionate pressure on the poor.
At one time I could have had promotion, a complete change in my contract and more responsibilities. I had been in the 40% bracket for some years and paying half my salary in NI & tax (IIRC) over 34000 for some years, with that threshold rising a bit every year. I think I would have been good at the job that was coming my way, but I honestly couldn’t see the point. So I stayed where I was and didn’t regret it. I have mixed views about the threshold which clearly discourages good people from taking on more responsibility, which in the long run benefit society and business.

(06-11-2019, 04:28 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:

It isn't 40% of your pay, it's 40% of anything over £50k. Anything you earn under that is at the previous rate. That's how our tax system works. e.g. if you're on £50,001, then that higher rate only applies to the £1 over the threshold, meaning your contribution to the higher rate is 40p.

Of course if you have the chance to do some extra work to the tune of £1000 you do it for £500. Why bother?
(06-12-2019, 07:33 AM)Pontificator Wrote: At one time I could have had promotion, a complete change in my contract and more responsibilities. I had been in the 40% bracket for some years and paying half my salary in NI & tax (IIRC) over 34000 for some years, with that threshold rising a bit every year. I think I would have been good at the job that was coming my way, but I honestly couldn’t see the point. So I stayed where I was and didn’t regret it. I have mixed views about the threshold which clearly discourages good people from taking on more responsibility, which in the long run benefit society and business.

(06-10-2019, 05:27 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Of course if you have the chance to do some extra work to the tune of £1000 you do it for £500. Why bother?

Surely this is an issue for people who would get paid a little over the threshold.
(06-12-2019, 07:33 AM)Pontificator Wrote: At one time I could have had promotion, a complete change in my contract and more responsibilities. I had been in the 40% bracket for some years and paying half my salary in NI & tax (IIRC) over 34000 for some years, with that threshold rising a bit every year. I think I would have been good at the job that was coming my way, but I honestly couldn’t see the point. So I stayed where I was and didn’t regret it. I have mixed views about the threshold which clearly discourages good people from taking on more responsibility, which in the long run benefit society and business.

(06-10-2019, 05:27 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Cos it's £500.
Boris championing proper funding of public services after consistently voting to cut public spending. He's cheered for (rightly) slamming Corbyn for not weeding out anti-semitism from the Labour party whilst the same crowd heckle a journalist who quiz him about some of the overtly racist things he's said. What sort of flat earth hypocrites want this bloke to be the next PM.