Oh dear Dekka
Bloody Brexit!

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-48558809

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)
(06-08-2019, 07:07 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote: Bloody Brexit!

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

In all seriousness the economic downturn in the EU and its pro austerity stance have been a concern for a while - whether Brexit makes things worse for the UK or not, the failure of the EU in addressing this slump has led to the far right making gains all over Europe and ultimately to the leave vote as much as any  other factor - people who are well off and content do not vote for big risky changes. 

Things were shite so they voted out - too easy just to blame the Tories when their austerity measures were in keeping with EU fiscal policy and the rest of the EU zone was doing as bad. Though the Tories were/are as usual just looking after the elite and making a mess of both the economy and society (again).

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

We haven’t actually had Brexit yet. This reminds me of fans of our club laughing at Villa and Wolves only two years ago...
(06-08-2019, 09:23 AM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

In all seriousness the economic downturn in the EU and its pro austerity stance have been a concern for a while - whether Brexit makes things worse for the UK or not, the failure of the EU in addressing this slump has led to the far right making gains all over Europe and ultimately to the leave vote as much as any  other factor - people who are well off and content do not vote for big risky changes. 

Things were shite so they voted out - too easy just to blame the Tories when their austerity measures were in keeping with EU fiscal policy and the rest of the EU zone was doing as bad. Though the Tories were/are as usual just looking after the elite and making a mess of both the economy and society (again).

Austerity wasn't an EU-wide policy, it was a solution pushed by the ECB to the Greek and Portuguese debt crises. Germany itself followed a Keynesian approach to the fallout in contrast to our austerity measures, as did France. Italy have also been pressured to do the same for the same reasons but have said they don't want to, so they aren't.

And most of the far right gains have been due to playing on the xenephobia generated by the migrant crisis and the fallout of Syria and Libya, hence it being focused in Italy and Hungary. The biggest swing over the last 5 years across the EU has been towards the Green parties with a resurgence of the liberal parties over the last year.
(06-08-2019, 10:26 AM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

Austerity wasn't an EU-wide policy, it was a solution pushed by the ECB to the Greek and Portuguese debt crises. Germany itself followed a Keynesian approach to the fallout in contrast to our austerity measures, as did France. Italy have also been pressured to do the same for the same reasons but have said they don't want to, so they aren't.

And most of the far right gains have been due to playing on the xenephobia generated by the migrant crisis and the fallout of Syria and Libya, hence it being focused in Italy and Hungary. The biggest swing over the last 5 years across the EU has been towards the Green parties with a resurgence of the liberal parties over the last year.

But the ECB approach is crucial and central - particularly in the Euro zone. Ireland had its banks bailed out but its people hammered wuth austerity at the same time too. I disagree with your analysis of the far right resurgence - there have always been migrants and far right groups targetting them as scapegoats for security and employment etc.

The EU long term failures economically have created the environment for the far right to thrive as they always do in times of hardship - their security failures have made things worse too. Such failings have no doubt encouraged more liberal people to switch parties too such as to the Greens. If Brexit has a positive I hope it shakes them up from their complacency and encourages EU politicians to put more pressure on the ECB to adopt a different and more flexible approach - or else in time others will also leave.

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

Oh and on the specific point made you’re going to have to explain how economic uncertainty across the globe thanks mainly to Trump led US and China trade war is going to benefit a country like ours? We will be at the mercy of international upturns and down turns even more so than now. 

Keep waving the little Union Jack in the face of common sense. Wink
(06-08-2019, 12:06 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

Oh and on the specific point made you’re going to have to explain how economic uncertainty across the globe thanks mainly to Trump led US and China trade war is going to benefit a country like ours? We will be at the mercy of international upturns and down turns even more so than now. 

What specific point, exactly, was I making?

I do not wave the Union Flag or any flag for that matter. The demise of Nation States renders it pointless and obsolete.
(06-08-2019, 01:10 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

I do not wave the Union Flag or any flag for that matter. The demise of Nation States renders it pointless and obsolete.

I would hope you would know what point you were making given you posted the thread. My reply was I fail to see how leaving Europe is going to help us protect ourselves from the global financial bumps.
(06-08-2019, 11:07 AM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 10:26 AM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

But the ECB approach is crucial and central - particularly in the Euro zone. Ireland had its banks bailed out but its people hammered wuth austerity at the same time too. I disagree with your analysis of the far right resurgence - there have always been migrants and far right groups targetting them as scapegoats for security and employment etc.

The EU long term failures economically have created the environment for the far right to thrive as they always do in times of hardship - their security failures have made things worse too. Such failings have no doubt encouraged more liberal people to switch parties too such as to the Greens. If Brexit has a positive I hope it shakes them up from their complacency and encourages EU politicians to put more pressure on the ECB to adopt a different and more flexible approach - or else in time others will also leave.

Ireland's decision was predominantly a domestic decision, they didn't need to get a bailout but went cap in hand to the EU and it led to the collapse of the FG-Labour coalition over there.

You can disagree with my assertion all you want, just go to Austria, Hungary and Italy and see who Lega Nord, FPO and Orban are targeting. Hint, it isn't the EU. The arguments stay the same but the group changes, they are feeding on the anti-migrant sentiment specifically from Libya and Syria. Hell, of all the right wing populist groups elected to the European Parliament only the Brexit Party is outwardly anti-EU.

Also, how has the EU been an economic failure? Germany had been booming over the last 10 years before the recent blip, Italy became a bigger economy than us in the 70s through their membership of the EEC and kept that up till the turn of the millennium, the Baltic states and the other former Eastern Bloc countries that joined the EU are booming. As for more countries leaving, the mess we're in is more than enough of a deterrent. Hence anti-EU sentiment on the continent and in Ireland has been dropping like a stone over the last 3 years.
(06-08-2019, 02:59 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 01:10 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:

Oh...

Rolleyes  (Runs away)

I would hope you would know what point you were making given you posted the thread. My reply was I fail to see how leaving Europe is going to help us protect ourselves from the global financial bumps.
I do but you don’t seem to as you are answering a different point. I didn’t infer that leaving the Union would help us avoid a global downturn. But clearly, being in the union doesn’t protect you either. Not even if you are the biggest cheese in it.