Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graham Taylor dead (original post beware imitations)
age 72.
I remember him at the Hawthorns whilst with the Veela. We sang 'thanks for fucking up the Wolves'. He gave us a huge grin and waved . Good man

RIP
let's hope they don't get Luther Missit to carry the coffin, he'll probably miss the grave.

Probably the worst Ingurland Manager ( not that I care anyway). Up there with Shteve the Brolly as reaching a new level of incompetence.
Sad. Nice guy. Always liked him s a decent skin and felt sorry for his England spell.
(01-12-2017, 01:24 PM)twobags Wrote: I remember him at the Hawthorns whilst with the Veela. We sang 'thanks for fucking up the Wolves'. He gave us a huge grin and waved . Good man

RIP

It's funny but that is my abiding memory of him too. The broad grin when we sang that endeared him to many after that. I met him once on a train to London. He was really chatty and clearly loved talking about football. A good man indeed.
(01-12-2017, 01:27 PM)Groin Strain Wrote: let's hope they don't get Luther Missit to carry the coffin, he'll probably miss the grave.

Probably the worst Ingurland Manager ( not that I care anyway). Up there with Shteve the Brolly as reaching a new level of incompetence.

On the flipside he always seemed like one of football's good guys.
Met him at Edgbaston watching a test match. Thoroughly nice guy.

England career sadly doomed to failure by an injury to Shearer and shite officiating.
He's going to flip it. He's going to flip it

Do I not like that
(01-12-2017, 01:33 PM)Fido Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 01:27 PM)Groin Strain Wrote: let's hope they don't get Luther Missit to carry the coffin, he'll probably miss the grave.

On the flipside he always seemed like one of football's good guys.

Lovely, decent bloke who loved his football.
Graham Taylor anecdote for you -
My brother (Stevie_DM) used to work as a producer at the BBC over 10 years ago - Match of the Day.
One day, the production team were queuing in the BBC canteen along with Graham who was on the show.
So my brother and the other lads got chatting and they all started talking football. He wanted to know who everyone supported etc.
He then proceeded - using the salt and pepper pots and cutlery on the tables - to explain to the lads about the "box outside the box" whereby if you delivered a ball into this magic area from wide, the stats suggested it resulted in a high-ish percentage of goals.
Basically, he was just in love with the game and his enthusiasm for it never diminished, unlike some who become grumpy old buggers.
RIP Graham.
(01-12-2017, 01:37 PM)StroddersStillGonnaGetYa Wrote: Met him at Edgbaston watching a test match. Thoroughly nice guy.

England career sadly doomed to failure by an injury to Shearer and shite officiating.

It's a decent point but then there was a reluctance to play Le Tis etc. He was in a bit of an "in between" phase though, IIRC correctly, where senior players were on their way out and others were not quite ready to step into the fold. If you were to contrast with Venables 1996 team, for example.