Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I dreaming or is this Trump soap opera real?
(01-12-2017, 05:53 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 01:11 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 01:08 PM)bangalorebaggie Wrote: He will be a far better President then the arse who is leaving.

In the great scheme of things I think they're all much-of-a-muchness. I'll just be slightly more relieved than normal if we're all in one piece at the end of the next President's term in office.

We'll still be chasing Berahino.

I don't think this prick is even exceptional in the list of idiots who have been presidents. Many were much more racist homophobic and mysoginist than Trump but the readiness of social media and 24hr news seems to make it worse in this case.
Imagine what they would have done with Reagan (and his chimp) in similar circumstances or JFK and his womanising or even Andrew Jackson who would beat people with his 'old hickory' if they disagreed with him.
Even decent men like Obama were rendered toothless by the congress and senate who disagreed with his policies. He has very little legacy.
The same will happen with Trump who even though the S & C are majority Rep. almost to a man/woman disagree with him.
He will be controlled in just the same way.
Storm in a tea cup.

His actions might be controlled but it's his gob that worries me. Then again I suppose there's more than one way to control something that might be causing too many problems.

(01-12-2017, 06:03 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 05:44 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 05:32 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 08:41 AM)spandaubaggie Wrote: Worryingly you would have expected enough crap to come out in the run up to the election to make him withdraw and it's ironic that he loved the security services when Hillary's emails were being questioned, but now it's a different game. Sadly part of the problem though is the US trailer trash underclass and red neck loons who think getting prossies to piss on beds to make a statement is OK statesmanlike behaviour.
America is in a mess and it could be a scary time over there with so many having guns.
I expect and hope Trump will have to quit very soon though. Please God may it be so.

It's exactly this kind of misrepresentation of a certain class of people that had led to his election imo. 
Statements like that seek to denigrate his supporters and lump them into a monolithic block that are somehow inferior to those right thinking liberals, deplorables as Shillary called them. 
Trumps supporters may not have had the benefit of a college education as so many of Hillarys did but that doesn't diminish their concerns and their lack of ability to phrase things in terms that liberals find acceptable doesn't mean their concerns are any less important. 
I'd be amazed if any of the " redneck trailer trash" (funny how that's fine as a description) knew anything of this alleged behaviour when they voted for him.
It's generalisation for sure, but on the whole King Astle it was luring the disaffected back in that got him elected as well as the anyone but Hilary crew. My concerns is he's acting like its ok to be a brash shoot from the hip kind of guy in a bar when in life it isn't. Yes the weak and less articulate need a champion but FFS not some billionaire born into massive wealth.  Diplomacy and tolerance is the way we solve problems. It may be slow and painful but sure better than war. 
As for his behaviour I think there's enough out there to show the type of character he is. Those who voted for him should be ashamed.

of course it was luring the disaffected that won it for him and there is nothing wrong with appealing to the disaffected. The problem is that US politics has become as cut off as ours, it was either the rich frat boy who looked like he was taking the piss versus Mrs ex President, seen as both corrupt and part of the establishment by most. Interesting you mention the "anyone but Hilary" crowd. I was surprised just how little she had in terms of policy. All her appeal seemed to be "I'm not Donald Trump", Trump may have said stupid and outrageous things but at least he was saying something which is more than i saw her do. 
I agree on his behaviour and think he is a grade A bullshit merchant but lets look at Hilary's behaviour and its just as bad if not worse. I'd rather vote for a serial groper over someone who has used charity for her own personal enrichment and is up to her neck in the war adventures of the US. I think a big part of his appeal is also a big part of his problem, he says what people want yet they all know its nonsense. He will struggle to be taken seriously and a lack of credibility is usually lethal for a politician. 
If its diplomacy you want, then he certainly seems to be making the right noises regarding Russia compared to some in the US. As he is an avowed isolationist who thinks America shouldn't be acting as the worlds policeman, i can see him actually shying away from war. Sure he has this thin skinned, i'll fight anyone image, but i think that's all it is, image and much of it has been created by the media as has much of how the public perceive him.
What really isnt helpful, just as it wasnt during Brexit, is for those who dont like him to denigrate all his supporters with name calling and derision for having the temerity to express concerns that are neither fashionable or they are able to couch in the acceptable language of the privileged classes
Nice to have a bit of balance, good post.
(01-12-2017, 06:03 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 05:44 PM)spandaubaggie Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 05:32 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 08:41 AM)spandaubaggie Wrote: Worryingly you would have expected enough crap to come out in the run up to the election to make him withdraw and it's ironic that he loved the security services when Hillary's emails were being questioned, but now it's a different game. Sadly part of the problem though is the US trailer trash underclass and red neck loons who think getting prossies to piss on beds to make a statement is OK statesmanlike behaviour.
America is in a mess and it could be a scary time over there with so many having guns.
I expect and hope Trump will have to quit very soon though. Please God may it be so.

It's exactly this kind of misrepresentation of a certain class of people that had led to his election imo. 
Statements like that seek to denigrate his supporters and lump them into a monolithic block that are somehow inferior to those right thinking liberals, deplorables as Shillary called them. 
Trumps supporters may not have had the benefit of a college education as so many of Hillarys did but that doesn't diminish their concerns and their lack of ability to phrase things in terms that liberals find acceptable doesn't mean their concerns are any less important. 
I'd be amazed if any of the " redneck trailer trash" (funny how that's fine as a description) knew anything of this alleged behaviour when they voted for him.
It's generalisation for sure, but on the whole King Astle it was luring the disaffected back in that got him elected as well as the anyone but Hilary crew. My concerns is he's acting like its ok to be a brash shoot from the hip kind of guy in a bar when in life it isn't. Yes the weak and less articulate need a champion but FFS not some billionaire born into massive wealth.  Diplomacy and tolerance is the way we solve problems. It may be slow and painful but sure better than war. 
As for his behaviour I think there's enough out there to show the type of character he is. Those who voted for him should be ashamed.

of course it was luring the disaffected that won it for him and there is nothing wrong with appealing to the disaffected. The problem is that US politics has become as cut off as ours, it was either the rich frat boy who looked like he was taking the piss versus Mrs ex President, seen as both corrupt and part of the establishment by most. Interesting you mention the "anyone but Hilary" crowd. I was surprised just how little she had in terms of policy. All her appeal seemed to be "I'm not Donald Trump", Trump may have said stupid and outrageous things but at least he was saying something which is more than i saw her do. 
I agree on his behaviour and think he is a grade A bullshit merchant but lets look at Hilary's behaviour and its just as bad if not worse. I'd rather vote for a serial groper over someone who has used charity for her own personal enrichment and is up to her neck in the war adventures of the US. I think a big part of his appeal is also a big part of his problem, he says what people want yet they all know its nonsense. He will struggle to be taken seriously and a lack of credibility is usually lethal for a politician. 
If its diplomacy you want, then he certainly seems to be making the right noises regarding Russia compared to some in the US. As he is an avowed isolationist who thinks America shouldn't be acting as the worlds policeman, i can see him actually shying away from war. Sure he has this thin skinned, i'll fight anyone image, but i think that's all it is, image and much of it has been created by the media as has much of how the public perceive him.
What really isnt helpful, just as it wasnt during Brexit, is for those who dont like him to denigrate all his supporters with name calling and derision for having the temerity to express concerns that are neither fashionable or they are able to couch in the acceptable language of the privileged classes
Decent answer King Astle. Good reasoned argument. We certainly seem to agree on more than we disagree.
(01-12-2017, 08:38 AM)Heath Wrote: I love this furious notion of 'fake news' being a new thing.

As if no one has been reading the Daily Express or Daily Mail for the past 50 years or 70 odd % of the population dont accept being told some woman called Lizzie is their 'Queen'.

#DailyMailKlaxon. Were they your fist two words as a child?

He terrifies me. But the knicker pissing from the usual corners almost makes it bearable.
Can't help but be entertained by the likes of the Press conference yesterday !

It's going to be a scary but exciting ride seeing what happens when he comes into power - never a dull moment I'm sure and I'm actually enjoying him shaking up the status quo and vested interests so far.

However, I'm sure his wilder extremes will gradually be shut down by the global and internal 'systems' - political self-interests, multi-national businesses, defence agencies, Wall Street, the 'elite' etc will all shut him off from real power just as they did with previous presidents who didn't tow their line....................
(01-12-2017, 06:42 PM)Mandown_Pilt Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 08:38 AM)Heath Wrote: I love this furious notion of 'fake news' being a new thing.

As if no one has been reading the Daily Express or Daily Mail for the past 50 years or 70 odd % of the population dont accept being told some woman called Lizzie is their 'Queen'.

#DailyMailKlaxon. Were they your fist two words as a child?

He terrifies me. But the knicker pissing from the usual corners almost makes it bearable.
+1
(01-12-2017, 01:08 PM)bangalorebaggie Wrote: He will be a far better President then the arse who is leaving.
The word you were searching for is 'than'.
The brain you are searching for is non-existent.
If Trump is the answer I have no idea what the question is.
(01-12-2017, 07:59 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If Trump is the answer I have no idea what the question is.

Is it what  is the square root of showmanship multiplied by twitter to the power of narcism?
Trump is disingenuous and was voted in by many an idiot, who thought 'he was one of them'. Yes, I know someone may say 'all politcians blah, blah'...., but that generalisation isn't true. A generalisation which is true, is that a majority of racist, sexist , homophobes voted for Trump. Possibly have no interest in the world outside their run down, dust bitten stoop.

Not all, I reckon the w/class in the dust bowl have been conned or were too ready to accept a billionaire as 'one of them'. On a much smaller level is Farage and the Kippers, here. However, Farage has never been elected to run a powerful, usually war mongering nation.............