Brinks Mat Robbery
(06-06-2019, 09:45 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:38 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Recall that time well as my first girlfriend was at Wolvo Poly. As has been said, the changes from the team a couple of years before was bewildering. In 81 we finished 4th. Only Owen and Robertson from that team.
Remember a year later passing Molineux catching the train home after a midweek visit to the girlfriend and they’d been tonked 4-0 by Fulham and were on the way to the 3rd division.
It was a grim time for Black Country football the mid 80s.

We still had Cyrille (his last full season), Statham, Cowdrill and Godden (who was on loan at Walsall). Regis and Statham were starting longer term injury problems and missed chunks of the season, including the Dingles 1-3 game. These were alongside Owen and Robertson.

But we also had Morley, McNaught, , Whitehead, Eastoe etc, who had taken the mantle from the likes of Ally Brown, Moses, Robson, Batson and Peter Barnes. We were on the way down, even though we had been high up before this, in the early season and were still around mid-table when we played the Wolves.

Good post.  We were well in decline by then - the old problem of replacements bringing diminishing returns. 

Hunt and Grealish kept us up that year.  We were in relegation trouble going into the last Saturday. Luckily we beat Luton 3-0 to stay up. Then lost our game in hand against Soton the midweek after.
I think we played Southampton on the Monday after Luton and Soton finished runner up.

(06-09-2019, 06:01 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:45 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:38 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Recall that time well as my first girlfriend was at Wolvo Poly. As has been said, the changes from the team a couple of years before was bewildering. In 81 we finished 4th. Only Owen and Robertson from that team.
Remember a year later passing Molineux catching the train home after a midweek visit to the girlfriend and they’d been tonked 4-0 by Fulham and were on the way to the 3rd division.
It was a grim time for Black Country football the mid 80s.

We still had Cyrille (his last full season), Statham, Cowdrill and Godden (who was on loan at Walsall). Regis and Statham were starting longer term injury problems and missed chunks of the season, including the Dingles 1-3 game. These were alongside Owen and Robertson.

But we also had Morley, McNaught, , Whitehead, Eastoe etc, who had taken the mantle from the likes of Ally Brown, Moses, Robson, Batson and Peter Barnes. We were on the way down, even though we had been high up before this, in the early season and were still around mid-table when we played the Wolves.

Good post.  We were well in decline by then - the old problem of replacements bringing diminishing returns. 

Hunt and Grealish kept us up that year.  We were in relegation trouble going into the last Saturday. Luckily we beat Luton 3-0 to stay up. Then lost our game in hand against Soton the midweek after.

Yes, I remember Wylie being sacked after a 0-5 at home v Forest. We had a draw v Coventry with a caretaker manager (I think it was Wylie's Assistant) before Giles, Stiles and Hunter came in as the 'A Team' ( according to The Albion news v Plymouth 0-1 Tynan FA Cup). 

We drew at Notts County the following week - last minute from Nicky Cross, then got Grealish and Hunt in and we won 3 in a  row (1-0 at Spurs, 3-0 v Stoke, 2-0 v Man Utd, the Threads game). Basically kept us up although we won only two more matches and finished 17th.