Berahino sacked!
I’d imagine that the way that they did the contract will mean they had fairly solid ground to get rid. The way he has conducted himself over many years is just atrocious.
(05-27-2019, 07:15 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 01:28 AM)Statto Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:26 PM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:17 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:09 PM)Albion Wrote: More worrying is his salary from Stoke was/is his only income. Surely with the monies he has earnt he would have invested into real estate, bonds, stocks etc

Yeah I'm worried sick about a footballer earning obscene amounts of money whilst viewing the world and everyone in it with contempt. I hope he ends up with nothing, maybe then he would appreciate what he had.

+1

I'm devastated for the poor Lamb, normally such a nice, genuine human being is Saido.    Rolleyes

I guess no one has sympathy for him, but it is worrying that clubs don't do more to protect their multi million pound assets with better advice. I know some will scream that it's not the club's responsibility, but what other business would invest £15m in a brand new machine and then not pay attention to every aspect of its upkeep and maintenance?
It’s my understanding that academies do have psychologists for mental health sessions and do give regular lessons in such things as finance management, media training, social engagement and regularly on drug awareness. Clubs also have rules about how players can conduct themselves in their free time. (As we’ve seen, Stoke have a policy of no ‘going out’ two days before a match. Berahino chose to be a hundred miles or so away and on the lash hours before a game) If a youth team player or full professional chooses to ignore those lessons and advice, I don’t think the club can be held too much to blame.

I’m not blaming clubs because a wrong un is a wrong un. I just think there are areas where the game could do more. It throws untold wealth at young men in their twenties, some totally ill equipped to deal with it, in front of an unforgiving media actively looking to shoot them down. 

I know everyone says they would stay off the drink for £50k per week, but the reality of their life is that they are thrown millions of pounds aged 22 and basically told, don’t behave like a rich 22 year old. At that age it’s very easy to live the lifestyle your salary allows and not invest in your future as well as you could have. Many of us will have had an element of that in our past to differing degrees, but when it’s done on that scale and in the public eye the fall is spectacular.  

Rules are one thing and whatever rules there are some will always push the boundaries, but I was thinking more about working with them to safeguard their future and as such protecting their security and mental wellbeing that way. For example, Robbie Fowler described how Souness put him in touch with his advisor which started his property investment portfolio that has set him up for life for example.   

It’s probably more a PFA role to be fair. Despite the untold riches, There’s clearly a problem with players spunking all their money and going into a tailspin, particularly after retirement. Gareth Barry has recently talked about the lack of mental preparation for retirement. The rewards are frightening, but the game does use them up and spit them out and it’s ruthlessly survival of the fittest from start to finish.
(05-27-2019, 10:00 AM)Statto Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:17 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Yeah I'm worried sick about a footballer earning obscene amounts of money whilst viewing the world and everyone in it with contempt. I hope he ends up with nothing, maybe then he would appreciate what he had.

+1

I'm devastated for the poor Lamb, normally such a nice, genuine human being is Saido.    Rolleyes

I guess no one has sympathy for him, but it is worrying that clubs don't do more to protect their multi million pound assets with better advice. I know some will scream that it's not the club's responsibility, but what other business would invest £15m in a brand new machine and then not pay attention to every aspect of its upkeep and maintenance?
It’s my understanding that academies do have psychologists for mental health sessions and do give regular lessons in such things as finance management, media training, social engagement and regularly on drug awareness. Clubs also have rules about how players can conduct themselves in their free time. (As we’ve seen, Stoke have a policy of no ‘going out’ two days before a match. Berahino chose to be a hundred miles or so away and on the lash hours before a game) If a youth team player or full professional chooses to ignore those lessons and advice, I don’t think the club can be held too much to blame.

I’m not blaming clubs because a wrong un is a wrong un. I just think there are areas where the game could do more. It throws untold wealth at young men in their twenties, some totally ill equipped to deal with it, in front of an unforgiving media actively looking to shoot them down. 

I know everyone says they would stay off the drink for £50k per week, but the reality of their life is that they are thrown millions of pounds aged 22 and basically told, don’t behave like a rich 22 year old. At that age it’s very easy to live the lifestyle your salary allows and not invest in your future as well as you could have. Many of us will have had an element of that in our past to differing degrees, but when it’s done on that scale and in the public eye the fall is spectacular.  

Rules are one thing and whatever rules there are some will always push the boundaries, but I was thinking more about working with them to safeguard their future and as such protecting their security and mental wellbeing that way. For example, Robbie Fowler described how Souness put him in touch with his advisor which started his property investment portfolio that has set him up for life for example.   

It’s probably more a PFA role to be fair. Despite the untold riches, There’s clearly a problem with players spunking all their money and going into a tailspin, particularly after retirement. Gareth Barry has recently talked about the lack of mental preparation for retirement. The rewards are frightening, but the game does use them up and spit them out and it’s ruthlessly survival of the fittest from start to finish.

A very good post. Clearly there are issues with pastoral care in football and that stat about footballers going bankrupt is just one indicator of it.

In the Artist in Residence documentary, Foster said how there's so much input into honing your body, but very little for your mind. I think he has a point.
(05-27-2019, 07:20 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I’d imagine that the way that they did the contract will mean they had fairly solid ground to get rid. The way he has conducted himself over many years is just atrocious.

They only have themselves to blame.  Who in their right mind would pay 15m for Berahino?  

Utterly stupid. 

Shame we wasted it on Burke.

(05-26-2019, 05:17 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:09 PM)Albion Wrote: More worrying is his salary from Stoke was/is his only income. Surely with the monies he has earnt he would have invested into real estate, bonds, stocks etc

Yeah I'm worried sick about a footballer earning obscene amounts of money whilst viewing the world and everyone in it with contempt. I hope he ends up with nothing, maybe then he would appreciate what he had.

+1

#God is good
(05-27-2019, 11:01 AM)Squid Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 10:00 AM)Statto Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 05:26 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: +1

A very good post. Clearly there are issues with pastoral care in football and that stat about footballers going bankrupt is just one indicator of it.

In the Artist in Residence documentary, Foster said how there's so much input into honing your body, but very little for your mind. I think he has a point.

50% of their net after-tax salary should automatically be paid into a trust, only touchable when they retire.

I doubt that.
Albion must shoulder some responsibility.
Investment in mentoring is essential
Lads at the academy will end up at all levels of the game and some unfortunately won’t make it in football.Having 1:1 mentoring that follows them through the academy and is tailored and adjusted as they move through is what they need. Whether it’s for a world class footballer or someone who needs to move on to another career. What we seem to have is a generic system that doesn’t suit the individual.
(05-27-2019, 12:09 PM)Geralous Wrote: Albion must shoulder some responsibility.
Lads at the academy will end up at all levels of the game and some unfortunately won’t make it in football.Having 1:1 mentoring that follows them through the academy and is tailored and adjusted as they move through is what they need. Whether it’s for a world class footballer or someone who needs to move on to another career.  What we seem to have is a generic system that doesn’t suit the individual.

99% of our youth developed players here and at other clubs now haven't become grade A twats
(05-27-2019, 12:56 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 12:09 PM)Geralous Wrote: Albion must shoulder some responsibility.
Lads at the academy will end up at all levels of the game and some unfortunately won’t make it in football.Having 1:1 mentoring that follows them through the academy and is tailored and adjusted as they move through is what they need. Whether it’s for a world class footballer or someone who needs to move on to another career.  What we seem to have is a generic system that doesn’t suit the individual.

99% of our youth developed players here and at other clubs now haven't become grade A twats
This. And neither do most other clubs teenage millionaires. I'd say mentoring in football is proven to be very good otherwise there would be dozens of them in the headlines when you see the money involved. If you threw a party for a 100 Brain surgeons, no doubt one or two would behave less than well. Football overall, doesn't do a bad job of keeping them on the straight and narrow but some people just cannot be helped.