Why Albion
(05-20-2019, 12:23 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:01 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Parents from Langley and Smethwick, both families supported Albion. My dad started taking me to games at the age of 10 (first game Man U, 1977), though at the time I was a Leeds fan (chose them from looking at the Littlewoods coupon - could have been Wolves!). Ditched Leeds for good when I was 15 and don't have a single regret despite them winning the League several years later. Started going to Albion games alone when I was 17. Season ticket holder at 19.

BTW Cornish, which part of Cornwall do you live? (Don't have to be too specific!)

St Austell mate.

We try to have a week in Cornwall every year but that's one part we've never been to, for no particular reason.
Bearwood background with an Irish dad who wasn't interested in football. Leeds fan for a couple of years myself, but then Johnny Giles took over in 75 and my dad was interested and my first game was that Xmas v Orient (drew 1-1). Mesmerised by going into the ground and from then on that was that. Did have a brief flirtation with Villa about a year after as a cool mate who was older supported them, but then we played Villa and I found there was only one team I wanted to win. Albion were in my blood.
Now over S Brum and son the only Baggie in his year in school in Solihull.
Dad born & raised in West Brom, me born, schooled & started working life in West Brom, hence I support my local team.
I'm just a glory hunter.
In the form of his life.
My dad is/was a wolves fan. So out of sheer spite I'm an Albion fan.  Cool
As I said on the '51 years ago today' thread I was born the day we won the cup so maybe I was destined to be an Albion fan....

My grandparents (mum's side) moved down from Scotland to Coventry when she was very young and likewise my grandparents (dad's side) moved from the Black Country to Coventry. Was born in Coventry with the only allegiance to any side(s) being Celtic and Hamilton Accies through one of my grandads. Early memories are of school holidays (Christmas/Easter) of going to Scotland and going to Parkhead watching Celtic. I probably went to Highfield Road before The Hawthorns, can't quite remember.

Through their love (and decent playing standard) of cricket my dad met David Cross whilst he was at Coventry City and playing for Cov & North Warks cricket in the summer and they became firm friends and absolute piss heads. Once 'Crossy' moved to the Albion we (dad, brother and myself) instantly had free tickets and access all areas to the whole ground, players bar, everything. Have half a dozen old photos and 3 autograph books from the couple of season he was at the Albion. Our access at the Albion included going to pre-match meals with the whole first team at home games as we would give Crossy a lift from Coventry. The most magical footballing time of my life. 

After Cross moved on, pretty much ousted by Cyrille, I stayed an Albion fan and still went to games with my dad and brother for a further couple of years. After that waned I followed us through the normal channels back then and got my first season ticket in 85-86. Needless to say the years that followed were not what I was expecting...

Took my son to his first home game when he was 2 and first away game when he was 4, he had no choice. 

Always felt I missed out on not supporting the team where I was from especially when in my late teens and early 20s seeing all my mates going to Highfield Road together (and away) having a laugh and a few beers whilst I drove to The Hawthorns on my own. 30 odd years later I have met some amazing people and developed some fantastic friendships and wouldn't have it any other way.
My Grandad, Harold Ramsbottom RIP simply said he was taking me to the football the second I showed interest in the sport. My Dad hates the game so I'd never been exposed to it. I supported Albion because it's what I knew. Even when friends were off choosing to support Man Utd or Liverpool, I'd already become Albion.

Then I went to a Villa filled school, hence my sheer hatred of them cunts.
(05-20-2019, 02:32 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote: As I said on the '51 years ago today' thread I was born the day we won the cup so maybe I was destined to be an Albion fan....

My grandparents (mum's side) moved down from Scotland to Coventry when she was very young and likewise my grandparents (dad's side) moved from the Black Country to Coventry. Was born in Coventry with the only allegiance to any side(s) being Celtic and Hamilton Accies through one of my grandads. Early memories are of school holidays (Christmas/Easter) of going to Scotland and going to Parkhead watching Celtic. I probably went to Highfield Road before The Hawthorns, can't quite remember.

Through their love (and decent playing standard) of cricket my dad met David Cross whilst he was at Coventry City and playing for Cov & North Warks cricket in the summer and they became firm friends and absolute piss heads. Once 'Crossy' moved to the Albion we (dad, brother and myself) instantly had free tickets and access all areas to the whole ground, players bar, everything. Have half a dozen old photos and 3 autograph books from the couple of season he was at the Albion. Our access at the Albion included going to pre-match meals with the whole first team at home games as we would give Crossy a lift from Coventry. The most magical footballing time of my life. 

After Cross moved on, pretty much ousted by Cyrille, I stayed an Albion fan and still went to games with my dad and brother for a further couple of years. After that waned I followed us through the normal channels back then and got my first season ticket in 85-86. Needless to say the years that followed were not what I was expecting...

Took my son to his first home game when he was 2 and first away game when he was 4, he had no choice. 

Always felt I missed out on not supporting the team where I was from especially when in my late teens and early 20s seeing all my mates going to Highfield Road together (and away) having a laugh and a few beers whilst I drove to The Hawthorns on my own. 30 odd years later I have met some amazing people and developed some fantastic friendships and wouldn't have it any other way.
Think you've shared this before, but  a great story nonetheless. Will always recall David Cross scoring that goal when the dog was causing havoc v Everton.
(05-20-2019, 02:35 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: My Grandad, Harold Ramsbottom RIP simply said he was taking me to the football the second I showed interest in the sport. My Dad hates the game so I'd never been exposed to it. I supported Albion because it's what I knew. Even when friends were off choosing to support Man Utd or Liverpool, I'd already become Albion.

Then I went to a Villa filled school, hence my sheer hatred of them cunts.

He has been though hasn't he Birdie.
My granddad and dad are sadistic bastards who indoctrinated me.