Danny Cowley second favourite on Odds Checker
(05-16-2019, 05:19 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 12:49 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Cowley a gamble. As Stoke have found, a successful young Lower league manager doesn't always translate to success higher up.
I'd prefer Hughton.

I wouldn't judge Jones on what's happened since he's been at Stoke. The supporters are overwhelmingly behind him. 

The results haven't improved since he joined, but Hughes, Rowett and our much maligned transfer team are still held responsible for that. 

He'll be given more time because the penny has now dropped as to just how bad we've become. We'll struggle to get rid of some of our wasters because of the contracts they're on, but Jones is at Stoke to carry out a rebuild, and he certainly looks like he has the fire and determination to do it.

I wanted someone of Jones' ilk rather than the tired old Moyes, big Sam dinosaur types, and I'm pleased with what I've seen so far. Whether the Albion are in need of the same sort of rebuild is something for you peeps to debate, but generally, I think it's now time for the new guard.

I agree, far too early too judge Jones, I think he’ll do a good job for you.
(05-16-2019, 07:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:38 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 02:22 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: Clearly very few have seen Lincoln play.  The Cowleys’ style of football, albeit successful in the lower divisions, would never gain the approval of our fanbase.  It very definitely is not pretty.
Spot on. This site is full of purists not Rheade appreciators!

No people just don't want the dark days of pulis and the poisonous effect he has on the fan base

Or the fantastic job that GM and Roy did. There influence meant we got up and enabled us to stay up. Mowbray, RDM and Mel’s style of football floundered when it really mattered.
Best managers at the club in my lifetime bar Ardiles all have one thing in common and it wouldn’t involve passing the ball to the opposition in your own half.

Harford, Megson, Hodgson, Pulis. Clarke too had them very well organised and built from the back.
Can't lose if you don't concede.

That doesn't mean being Pulis, it means the most important thing in a team is defensive organisation.

Fergie once said, attackers win matches, defenders win titles.
(05-16-2019, 03:17 PM)Hi Mancbaggies Wrote: Heard good reports on the Driscoll Brothers. A shilling a day and an orse shit sandwich 

But Hursts reign at Ipswich and all the garbage he bought is a cautionary tale

Ipswich was a tough gig though Manc, mad Mick did an incredible job and then they lost their best players, Hurst took a gamble with buying the best from the lower leagues and it didn’t work. He has a similar record to Wilder in what he achieved prior to Ipswich
(05-16-2019, 07:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:42 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 07:38 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 02:22 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: Clearly very few have seen Lincoln play.  The Cowleys’ style of football, albeit successful in the lower divisions, would never gain the approval of our fanbase.  It very definitely is not pretty.
Spot on. This site is full of purists not Rheade appreciators!

No people just don't want the dark days of pulis and the poisonous effect he has on the fan base

Or the fantastic job that GM and Roy did. There influence meant we got up and enabled us to stay up. Mowbray, RDM and Mel’s style of football floundered when it really mattered.

Time has moved on DH football has changed , I know you don't like change and I  accept that you like it but others don't.  The days of pulis and Megson should be banished in the cellar . Greatful for what they done but I feel we need a new brush if houghton can do it fair enough but I suspect in 12 months there will be grumbles like Brighton fans had can't be arsed with all that crap again
Said before that I’d be perfectly happy with Hughton. There’s nothing wrong with pragmatic football as long as you’re actually trying to win matches too. Roy’s side was defensively solid but he also understood the importance of carrying a threat at the other end too.

What I don’t want though is for us to go up and return to the soul crushing existence of the race for 17th. Obviously I’m not daft enough to think we can do a Leicester, or even a Wolves without serious investment, but I would at least like to see a manger who tries to attack teams. Who won’t just concede matches to the big boys before a ball is kicked or down tools as soon as we hit 40 points.

The Pulis years were a joyless slog, existing rather than living. I’d like to see a manager who can make supporting Albion enjoyable again.
(05-16-2019, 08:12 PM)Duffers Wrote: Said before that I’d be perfectly happy with Hughton. There’s nothing wrong with pragmatic football as long as you’re actually trying to win matches too. Roy’s side was defensively solid but he also understood the importance of carrying a threat at the other end too.

What I don’t want though is for us to go up and return to the soul crushing existence of the race for 17th. Obviously I’m not daft enough to think we can do a Leicester, or even a Wolves without serious investment, but I would at least like to see a manger who tries to attack teams. Who won’t just concede matches to the big boys before a ball is kicked or down tools as soon as we hit 40 points.

The Pulis years were a joyless slog, existing rather than living. I’d like to see a manager who can make supporting Albion enjoyable again.

Fantastic post
(05-16-2019, 08:09 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Can't lose if you don't concede.

That doesn't mean being Pulis, it means the most important thing in a team is defensive organisation.

Which is what I’ve said all season when we were stupidly trying to play powder puff football. If we didn’t need to we had the fire power to be more pragmatic and imo if we had we would have been promoted automatically. This season has been a huge frustration with so many what ifs and missed opportunities caused in the main by ourselves as a club.
Got to get away with so many loans .
(05-16-2019, 08:18 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 08:09 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Can't lose if you don't concede.

Which is what I’ve said all season when we were stupidly trying to play powder puff football. If we didn’t need to we had the fire power to be more pragmatic and imo if we had we would have been promoted automatically. This season has been a huge frustration with so many what ifs and missed opportunities caused in the main by ourselves as a club.
Totally Derek. A team as brittle as us (until match 48) was never going to go up automatically.