Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The blandness of modern Albion
I wonder when we yearned for stability in those yoyo years did we ever picture what we now have of safety but no soul.
It's like football's equivalent of living in Milton Keynes.
I'm hard pressed to think of a more bland time supporting Albion. We'll stay up but this season will merge into the one before in the memory, and most of the one before that.
It will change eventually but falling crowds when we are the only team in the Prem around here isn't the dream I dreamt of.
Because of the massive difference in prem clubs abilities (the gap between us and the top 6 teams is bigger than the gap between us and the championship teams) it was always meant to be the case unfortunately. However this is a phase we have to go through on a journey and some of us don't see it as the destination.

92/93 Promotion from 3rd tier
10 years working through the championship
02/03 Promotion from 2nd tier
10 years yo-yoing
12/13 More secure top tier status
10 years of bland and hope of a cup run (As the map says, YOU ARE HERE)
22/23 Who knows but hopefully after 10 years of solid but slow prem growth we can push for regular cup runs and even europe.
We are now a club that to some extent we all wished for some years back, financially sound and
with the premier badge on the match day shirt. The truth is whilst all of that is great, without the
buzz and excitement of the match day, then that soon counts for less and less in many supporters
eyes. The match day experience has for some time been poor, I will never use the word entertainment
because I don't think that is appropriate, but what is missing is excitement and anticipation and
the lack of those is beginning to strangle the enthusiasm and hope of even the most faithful.

I'm not sure that bland sums up how I feel, just more and more unconnected and out of touch
with the seeming lack of purpose and direction. The league itself does not help that, and I suppose
once you cross the bridge to being unconnected with what is happening to football in general
then the more you need your own club to lift and give you hope.
I recall the days when we yearned to be similar to Charlton Athletic.
Why is the word 'entertainment' inappropriate? It's a genuine question. When did it become such a dirty word? I want to be entertained in my leisure time. What's wrong with that? It doesn't mean I'll turn my back on my team if I don't get it - 42 years supporting Stoke is testimony to that. So what's wrong with wanting a smattering of the 'e' word?

(11-01-2016, 01:49 PM)Beano16 Wrote: We are now a club that to some extent we all wished for some years back, financially sound and
with the premier badge on the match day shirt. The truth is whilst all of that is great, without the
buzz and excitement of the match day, then that soon counts for less and less in many supporters
eyes. The match day experience has for some time been poor, I will never use the word entertainment
because I don't think that is appropriate, but what is missing is excitement and anticipation and
the lack of those is beginning to strangle the enthusiasm and hope of even the most faithful.

I'm not sure that bland sums up how I feel, just more and more unconnected and out of touch
with the seeming lack of purpose and direction. The league itself does not help that, and I suppose
once you cross the bridge to being unconnected with what is happening to football in general

Good post, well put.

FF mentioned something about people go to football because we are all addicted to adrenaline. He had a decent point. Whether it is adrenaline or whatever the football experience is like a drug of some sort.

Some get addicted to the social aspect, the drink and a laugh with your mates.
Some get addicted to fighting opposition fans.
Some get addicted to the sensory element of match day, noise, smells...
Some get addicted to singing and shouting to remove the inhibitions of modern life.
Some get addicted to abusing the opposing fans, players, referee, etc
Some get addicted to seeing your team win.
Some get addicted to seeing your team fight to defend their goal.
Some gt addicted to seeing your team score goals.
Some get addicted to seeing your team play great football...whatever that means to you.
Some get addicted by just watching football as a spectacle.

There are many more. Most of us have a mixture of many of them, that mixture different for all of us. Most of those things have recently been eroded by modern football and by our current team and manager.

Once the addiction is not being fed, the tolerance to it builds and we lose the desire to go back.

Football is entertainment. It is addiction. It is also something that isn't supposed to be the same as your day to day life.

I dunno what I'm getting at here? Just trying to work out why I don't want to go anymore I guess?
(11-01-2016, 02:03 PM)Baggie_Shrek Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 01:49 PM)Beano16 Wrote: We are now a club that to some extent we all wished for some years back, financially sound and

Good post, well put.

FF mentioned something about people go to football because we are all addicted to adrenaline. He had a decent point. Whether it is adrenaline or whatever the football experience is like a drug of some sort.

Some get addicted to the social aspect, the drink and a laugh with your mates.
Some get addicted to fighting opposition fans.
Some get addicted to the sensory element of match day, noise, smells...
Some get addicted to singing and shouting to remove the inhibitions of modern life.
Some get addicted to abusing the opposing fans, players, referee, etc
Some get addicted to seeing your team win.
Some get addicted to seeing your team fight to defend their goal.
Some gt addicted to seeing your team score goals.
Some get addicted to seeing your team play great football...whatever that means to you.
Some get addicted by just watching football as a spectacle.

There are many more. Most of us have a mixture of many of them, that mixture different for all of us. Most of those things have recently been eroded by modern football and by our current team and manager.

Once the addiction is not being fed, the tolerance to it builds and we lose the desire to go back.

Football is entertainment. It is addiction. It is also something that isn't supposed to be the same as your day to day life.

I dunno what I'm getting at here? Just trying to work out why I don't want to go anymore I guess?
Well said. The buzz is what it's about and we have all become desensitised to it. I'd rather just see our scores at the minute, but not watch it. I still care, but I don't actively take part. There are thousands like me.
(11-01-2016, 12:32 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Because of the massive difference in prem clubs abilities (the gap between us and the top 6 teams is bigger than the gap between us and the championship teams) it was always meant to be the case unfortunately. However this is a phase we have to go through on a journey and some of us don't see it as the destination.

10 years yo-yoing
22/23 Who knows but hopefully after 10 years of solid but slow prem growth we can push for regular cup runs and even europe.

This is true but you only have to look back at Leicester last season to show you you are allowed to dream big.

Now before anybody starts up a "you can't use Leicester as an example because it's a one off and it won't happen again blah blah fucking blah" I will point out what I mean.

Leicester scraped avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth and had a squad of journeymen (Huth, Morgan, Allbrighton, Simpson etc) and some cheap buys (Marhez £400k Vardey £1m) and signed Kante for £5m. Pearson who had dragged them over the line and Ranieri came in after a less than spectacular stint as Greece manager.

They won the league but that is so secondary to my point. My point is the way they approached last season. They started as they meant to go on by going toe to toe with every side they came up against. Fuck reputation. Fuck the money. Fuck respect for the opposition. They just went out and battled, soaked up pressure and hit teams on the break with pace. They never played the small club shit that Pulis comes out with. If they went behind they just kept going. If they went ahead they just pushed for a second. 

Their approach is what I want to see. 

Fuck tikka takka. Fuck possession. Stop playing football with a massive inferiority complex and just go and try and fucking win.

After that I'll take whatever the result is.
(11-01-2016, 02:28 PM)110percentBaggie Wrote: Well said. The buzz is what it's about and we have all become desensitised to it. I'd rather just see our scores at the minute, but not watch it. I still care, but I don't actively take part. There are thousands like me.

I'm there too.
(11-01-2016, 02:29 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 12:32 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Because of the massive difference in prem clubs abilities (the gap between us and the top 6 teams is bigger than the gap between us and the championship teams) it was always meant to be the case unfortunately. However this is a phase we have to go through on a journey and some of us don't see it as the destination.

10 years yo-yoing

This is true but you only have to look back at Leicester last season to show you you are allowed to dream big.

Now before anybody starts up a "you can't use Leicester as an example because it's a one off and it won't happen again blah blah fucking blah" I will point out what I mean.

Leicester scraped avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth and had a squad of journeymen (Huth, Morgan, Allbrighton, Simpson etc) and some cheap buys (Marhez £400k Vardey £1m) and signed Kante for £5m. Pearson who had dragged them over the line and Ranieri came in after a less than spectacular stint as Greece manager.

They won the league but that is so secondary to my point. My point is the way they approached last season. They started as they meant to go on by going toe to toe with every side they came up against. Fuck reputation. Fuck the money. Fuck respect for the opposition. They just went out and battled, soaked up pressure and hit teams on the break with pace. They never played the small club shit that Pulis comes out with. If they went behind they just kept going. If they went ahead they just pushed for a second. 

Their approach is what I want to see. 

Fuck tikka takka. Fuck possession. Stop playing football with a massive inferiority complex and just go and try and fucking win.

After that I'll take whatever the result is.

Nail and head Peachy. It doesn't have to be about tikka takka. It's about attitude. Best days of my life were watching a Macari side that did exactly what you've described. It wasn't cultured, but bloody hell it was exciting.