Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorry but throwing the lead away was unacceptable.
Compared to most away games that was a pretty positive performance, but not taking all three points today is unacceptable.

Understood completely why McClean got subbed, but bringing Gardner on killed so much momentum and allowed them to get back in the game. Leko should have been on for McClean as we knew they'd start pushing up.

Also, why at one-nil did both Phillips and McClean stop when breaking about 20yds into the Sunderland half and look across to Pulis? Surrendered two counters when we actually had Chadli and Rondon forward and Nyom breaking his neck to offer a runner.

Sorry but for me today sums up everything I dislike about Pulis.
(10-01-2016, 04:04 PM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Compared to most away games that was a pretty positive performance, but not taking all three points today is unacceptable.

Understood completely why McClean got subbed, but bringing Gardner on killed so much momentum and allowed them to get back in the game. Leko should have been on for McClean as we knew they'd start pushing up.

Also, why at one-nil did both Phillips and McClean stop when breaking about 20yds into the Sunderland half and look across to Pulis? Surrendered two counters when we actually had Chadli and Rondon forward and Nyom breaking his neck to offer a runner.

Sorry but for me today sums up everything I dislike about Pulis.

Why did you hear Pulis say stop then? Or was it Gardner's fault they equalised? Mystic Meg territory methinks.
Decent run, decent league position, 17 shots, some people .......
McClean not putting it in for Rondon to tap into an empty net, or Chadli twice passing it straight to the last centre back when Rondon was free is everything you dislike about Pulis?

We didn't win because we didn't take our chances.
I thought Mclean was our worst player. Never got a decent ball in all day.
In no way, shape or form can todays wasted opportunity be laid TPs door.

I'm fairly sure TP doesn't tell them to go out and not complete simple 5-10yd passes... Fletcher being the main culprit.
We missed chances, granted. I've said at the very start it was one of our better away performances.

BUT we lost all attacking impetus as soon as Gardner came on and Sunderland enjoyed their best spell in the game.

More positive subs should have been made

(10-01-2016, 04:18 PM)Dickie Davies Wrote: In no way, shape or form can todays wasted opportunity be laid TPs door.

I'm fairly sure TP doesn't tell them to go out and not complete simple 5-10yd passes... Fletcher being the main culprit.

Maybe he doesn't, but it's a recurring theme in our games. Our wingers stop running when a break is on.
I don't dislike Gardner. Good squad player. But this wasn't an away game against a decent side where shutting up shop made sense. It was a game crying out for Leko to come on. Sunderland looked dreadful every time we attacked them. Just think an ambitious sub would have seen that deserved 2nd goal to kill Sunderland off.
We weren't creating loads in the second half before Gardner came on. And when we conceded we were all over them for 5-10 mins and that was with Gardner on the pitch. On paper bringing Gardner on seems defensive but today not sure it made that much difference in terms of a negative impact.
I don't blame anyone. I always think though that, when your a goal up with 10 minutes left, teams should have the collective wit to see a game out. Doesn't always happen obviously but 3 points becoming 1 always feels like a defeat.
Still, a proper game tomorrow. Cmon Mayo