These Environmental nutters
(04-19-2019, 07:18 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 02:51 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: Some of the arguments on here are extremely specious.

"They drink coffee... They wear trainers... They have more than 1 child..." . This is the sort of bollocks Hatie Hopkins spouted in her swivel eyed rant against the protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral a few years ago: "... why are they protesting against globalisation when they drink Coffee? Eat burgers? Wear clothes? Have camping gear?"

Because they are protesting about the results of the very things they do? On one hand they are preaching about the evils of a consumer society; on the other they are consuming exactly the kind of stuff that contributes to the very thing they are protesting about.

The way consumerism, world economics and governments have shaped society means regardless of who you are, you are made to be a hypocrite. That still doesn’t mean that the environmental arguments are null and void if the person making it has had a weekend break in Barcelona and wears a pair Adidas Samba.
(04-19-2019, 07:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 02:51 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: Some of the arguments on here are extremely specious.

"They drink coffee... They wear trainers... They have more than 1 child..." . This is the sort of bollocks Hatie Hopkins spouted in her swivel eyed rant against the protesters outside St Paul's Cathedral a few years ago: "... why are they protesting against globalisation when they drink Coffee? Eat burgers? Wear clothes? Have camping gear?"

Because they are protesting about the results of the very things they do? On one hand they are preaching about the evils of a consumer society; on the other they are consuming exactly the kind of stuff that contributes to the very thing they are protesting about.

The way consumerism, world economics and governments have shaped society means regardless of who you are, you are made to be a hypocrite. That still doesn’t mean that the environmental arguments are null and void if the person making it has had a weekend break in Barcelona and wears a pair Adidas Samba.
Im totally innocent, it was society what done it your honour.
Now it's dropped down a bit moving it here in case anyone wants to pick up the threads (see what I did there) later
(04-19-2019, 08:32 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 07:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Im totally innocent, it was society what done it your honour.
Not society, world governments. We have little choice but to live in the manner that the multinationals dictate, and when 30% of the carbon emissions on the planet are caused by burning trees ( de-forestation ), and while I have no choice but to use my car thanks to Public transport being useless for where I need to get, then I think I have every right to protest at the way the world is going ... even if I do drink coffee and wear clothes.
When we can still buy plug in air fresheners for our homes made of hard plastic and which use electricity when there are so many other ways if we are so inclined, kind of tells us where people sit with worrying about the planet!
At least they picked a nice weekend for it
(04-23-2019, 04:05 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: When we can still buy plug in air fresheners for our homes made of hard plastic and which use electricity when there are so many other ways if we are so inclined, kind of tells us where people sit with worrying about the planet!

Where some people sit. I imagine most voted for Brexit too.
(04-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 04:05 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: When we can still buy plug in air fresheners for our homes made of hard plastic and which use electricity when there are so many other ways if we are so inclined, kind of tells us where people sit with worrying about the planet!

Yep, those glade air fresheners spewing out their toxic, nasty right wing rhetoric
(04-24-2019, 08:42 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 05:39 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Yep, those glade air fresheners spewing out their toxic, nasty right wing rhetoric

not sure the right wingers care so much about the planet!