These Environmental nutters
I would argue they influenced and encouraged those that followed, having raised the profile of the cause - by inevitably upsetting people. That's why they are remembered as important today - shaking up the complacent and key to future events.
(04-18-2019, 05:59 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 05:47 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Lots of white MCW who can afford green energy?

You were lied to by a bus, weren’t you?

Big Grin
(04-18-2019, 08:20 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: Can we use salt?

Big Grin
(04-18-2019, 09:45 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:

Big Grin

https://futurism.com/molten-salt-make-24...y-possible

F*ck me!  Confused Big Grin
(04-18-2019, 09:47 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 09:45 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:

Big Grin

https://futurism.com/molten-salt-make-24...y-possible

F*ck me!  Confused Big Grin

Wow - is there anything salt can't do?
A renaissance beckons in Droitwich Spa.
(04-18-2019, 06:38 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 06:21 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: No-one looks at the whole picture.

Electric cars are super eco-friendly. But how clean is the electricity? How efficient is the transmission of electricity around the country?

Off-shore wind power is dirt cheap. Is it? The construction costs are immense. The volume of concrete consumed is breath-taking. And production of cement is a serious polluter.

Someone was on the radio the other day talking about a new coating for paper that makes plastic cups unnecessary. This product is derived from sand. So you didn't hear about the chronic world shortage of sand, which takes centuries to produce? Have a look at Google Earth and see the massive holes all over our country and every other where we are digging the stuff out.

What's needed is moderation and common sense. Toughening up the Building Regs for new-builds to a Scandinavian standard of insulation. Compulsory improvement of existing properties, funded by the taxpayer if necessary. Complete ban on gas-guzzling relics - 50+mpg is achievable so easily nowadays but there are still twats in cars that do 20mpg. This includes "white van man" as well - no more hiding behind the "got to encourage small businesses" excuse. Enable people to be eco-friendly and make them pay what it costs to deliver.

OK, I know we will never have a UK government with any balls, or with a credible energy policy. But gluing yourself to a train will not help you to win the argument.

And while I'm on a rant, why do the British people think that you need to fell all of the trees? There were twelve 300 year old oaks around the crossroads where we live 12 years ago. 8 have now gone. I paid £3000 to have the one in my garden made safe after Storm Doris broke a chunk off it. The local council ordered me to fell it, every tree surgeon except one refused to just tidy it up. Trees play a hugely important part in the whole eco-balance. So why is it OK to just tear them down? Eh?
So, you basically agree then?
 While we're on it though, gas guzzlers and white vans will die a natural death without this "scrappage" procedure. That's just an aid to consumerism. It is far worse for the environment to keep changing vehicles every five minutes and throwing the old ones away.  And no one has satisfactorily explained to me what we do with the expired electric vehicle batteries. We need to be careful we don't exchange one problem for another.
I agree that we all need to consider the environment, because we are well on the way to destroying the planet. I don't agree with this kind of "direct action", no matter how peaceful it may be. Any kind of protest which disrupts other people at random and in huge numbers is unacceptable. It's no different from the "Pro-Life" people who stand outside abortion clinics abusing the customers and adding a whole new level of trauma for women who are already in a bad place in their lives. The end never justifies the means. Humanity starts with respect for everyone else.

You have a real dilemma with the scrappage issue. "Consumerism" is much criticized by eco-hippies, but new technology can offer meaningful reductions to environmental damage. You can't have it both ways. A few years ago I followed a rusty heap of a K-reg Transit down the M6, spewing smoke out of its exhaust pipe, packed full of anti-fracking banners, on its way to a demo. Hypocrites.
Dame Emma Thompson has flown 5,000+ miles to give them moral support. Green Jet?
(04-18-2019, 10:42 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Dame Emma Thompson has flown 5,000+ miles to give them moral support. Green Jet?

[Image: c67af217fb563ce2b91595de6252f459--fallen...angels.jpg]
Fully behind them. My younger daughter is down in London visiting my older one this weekend. I'd be disappointed in the type of girls we've raised if they don't get involved in some way.
(04-18-2019, 10:51 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 10:42 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Dame Emma Thompson has flown 5,000+ miles to give them moral support. Green Jet?

[Image: c67af217fb563ce2b91595de6252f459--fallen...angels.jpg]

Hope she stays away from the sun