Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A club dying of apathy
Right this isn't some knee-jerk post based on a defeat and I'm very much part of the happy clapper brigade, but I find my lack of enthusiasm overwhelming for this season.
Clearly this is the norm for most fans and it was cemented when I met a fellow Baggie at the kids football on Saturday morning. He said he knows loads of people who have given up on the Albion and on the opening day he just checked the result afterwards when he said he used to be glued to Sky or the radio.
At the minute I think we will do about how we did. Pulis will bore us to safety again.
This boredom will involve a season of no more than a 2-0 win and us relying on set-pieces to get goals. So far 2 goals and both set-pieces.
I thought Pulis was the right man at the right time, and still do, where he needed to arrest the slide, but wow we don't havlf need an injection of enthusiasm with new signings because this isn't an emotional roller-coaster anymore- it's just plain boredom.
I really think Pulis has to get in at least 4 new guys this week of a calibre to get the hearts racing again and show intent to actually entertain.
Here we are 7 seasons in a row in the Prem, our biggest rivals all out of site, new owners, and it should be an exciting time to be a Baggie and watch us progress. It just isn't.
If this continues we will have crowds of 20,000 at a time we should be taking fans from Villa heartland . It's mad!
It's just a shame we have to trust Tony with the funds-his style of play-ostracism of several players (some he paid lots of money for) and persistent faffing around in the transfer market has left me as apathetic as I've ever felt in over 40yrs.
(08-22-2016, 10:01 AM)Ed_Hopper Wrote: It's just a shame we have to trust Tony with the funds-his style of play-ostracism of several players (some he paid lots of money for) and persistent faffing around in the transfer market has left me as apathetic as I've ever felt in over 40yrs.

Agreed. I moved from the East stand last season, to the Brummie, hoping to escape a lot of the negativity from surrounding fans. But my God, it is way worse this season. Lots of fans saying they haven't renewed, just going up match by match to see how things pan out.
(08-22-2016, 10:05 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: Agreed. I moved from the East stand last season, to the Brummie, hoping to escape a lot of the negativity from surrounding fans. B

Worst decision ever!

No doubt the Pulis factor is having an effect, but I think a lot of people are also losing their love for the game as a whole. I know I did a few seasons back, well before Pulis became involved.
(08-22-2016, 10:01 AM)Ed_Hopper Wrote: It's just a shame we have to trust Tony with the funds-his style of play-ostracism of several players (some he paid lots of money for) and persistent faffing around in the transfer market has left me as apathetic as I've ever felt in over 40yrs.

That's the same with every manager in the land. Guardiola just done it with Hart and Toure. Mourinho did it with Schweinsteiger and pretty much anybody under 21! Irvine did it with McAuley and Yacob.

That's the least of the problems at the moment.
(08-22-2016, 10:10 AM)P_K Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 10:05 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: Agreed. I moved from the East stand last season, to the Brummie, hoping to escape a lot of the negativity from surrounding fans. B

Worst decision ever!

No doubt the Pulis factor is having an effect, but I think a lot of people are also losing their love for the game as a whole. I know I did a few seasons back, well before Pulis became involved.

Why is this not happening  at other clubs though? Crowds up at most grounds.
(08-22-2016, 10:13 AM)willwba Wrote:

That's the same with every manager in the land. Guardiola just done it with Hart and Toure. Mourinho did it with Schweinsteiger and pretty much anybody under 21! Irvine did it with McAuley and Yacob.

That's the least of the problems at the moment.

None of those mentioned were purchased by the manager. I get that new managers want to put their own stamp on things, but the spend well over ten mil and then try to flog em is baffling. 

Also, with injuries some of those you mention would  get a game-we get a bench full of kids and gardener as a left winger.
(08-22-2016, 10:18 AM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: Why is thus not happening  at other clubs though? Crowds up at most grounds.

Yeah, ok! Big Grin

Perhaps it's the boring 1-goal margins that we play for that are driving people away from the Hawthorns? Irrespective of the fact that the most popular scoreline last season in the premier league was 1-1, with 11% of the games ending in this scoreline. Followed by 1-0 with 10%, and then 0-1 with also 10%.

http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?le...gland_2016
No ones coming, no one wants to. ( Certainly no one half decent that is).

Bear Grylls should replace 'The Island' with a new survival programme called 'The Hawthorns', because that's all that's going to be served up unless there is significant change....are our new owners going to deliver that..i wouldn't hold your breath.
The disaster of relegation these days has almost dictated the safety first attitude, the likes Albion will not sack a manager for not getting into the top 8 but will if struggling with potential relegation, for this reason, we will not risk trying to bow to the fans desire for entertaining football, it is safety first to protect the investment.

Losing a few thousand fans in comparison to dropping into the Championship with the monetary consequences involved, is a price the money men will be happy to pay.

We are not miles away from being pretty decent, but whether the money will be released, the players will want to come, the clubs will want to release the players and whether Tony and Hammond will identify the right players is questionable.