Wake up call needed
It's good to see such rational analyses of our current position on this board. It's only football, and there's no point getting all shouty on here.

But behind the scenes at The Hawthorns, there should be a full scale code red panic on. It's not "all right". It won't "come right in the end" if we carry on like this.

What I'm seeing is a team who have got away with conceding an early goal so often that it no longer seems to matter. We had two touches from kick-off before losing possession and conceding a goal last night. We've seen the ball rolled out from goal to players who weren't watching, harassed defenders playing hospital passes to flat-footed midfielders, midfielders standing watching while opponents soar above them to score from free headers - all of this within the first 15 minutes and before we've advanced far into the opposing half.

I'm seeing a midfield which fails game after game, but appears to be unchangeable. Barry lost possession straight from kick-off yesterday, then faded to invisibility. I'm not getting Harper at all - obviously a huge talent, but what's his best role?

Attacking-wise, we can't seem to get Phillips fit to play at all. With Murphy and Montero we are compromised by the "too many loanees" rule - not helped by the fact that we don't trust the defenders we've actually signed, so Tosin has to be in the 18. But if JRod/HRK/Gayle is the first choice forward line, then the other two aren't going to get on the field anyway.

It's a mess. I wonder who really calls the shots. Last season Brunty was obviously key. Is he injured or just out of the picture? Did the players pressurize BD and Corporal Jones to change the "3 at the back" system? How much does BD depend on his senior players for cooperation? Are Barry and Livermore "undroppable" like good old Robbo in Mowbray's final days? Do the players believe in BD and Jones?

A run of wins will improve the mood, but the last two matches were the big ones. BD and Jones have a lot to do to restore their credibility.
(03-02-2019, 11:58 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: It's good to see such rational analyses of our current position on this board. It's only football, and there's no point getting all shouty on here.

But behind the scenes at The Hawthorns, there should be a full scale code red panic on. It's not "all right". It won't "come right in the end" if we carry on like this.

What I'm seeing is a team who have got away with conceding an early goal so often that it no longer seems to matter. We had two touches from kick-off before losing possession and conceding a goal last night. We've seen the ball rolled out from goal to players who weren't watching, harassed defenders playing hospital passes to flat-footed midfielders, midfielders standing watching while opponents soar above them to score from free headers - all of this within the first 15 minutes and before we've advanced far into the opposing half.

I'm seeing a midfield which fails game after game, but appears to be unchangeable. Barry lost possession straight from kick-off yesterday, then faded to invisibility. I'm not getting Harper at all - obviously a huge talent, but what's his best role?

Attacking-wise, we can't seem to get Phillips fit to play at all. With Murphy and Montero we are compromised by the "too many loanees" rule - not helped by the fact that we don't trust the defenders we've actually signed, so Tosin has to be in the 18. But if JRod/HRK/Gayle is the first choice forward line, then the other two aren't going to get on the field anyway.

It's a mess. I wonder who really calls the shots. Last season Brunty was obviously key. Is he injured or just out of the picture? Did the players pressurize BD and Corporal Jones to change the "3 at the back" system? How much does BD depend on his senior players for cooperation? Are Barry and Livermore "undroppable" like good old Robbo in Mowbray's final days? Do the players believe in BD and Jones?

A run of wins will improve the mood, but the last two matches were the big ones. BD and Jones have a lot to do to restore their credibility.

If Barry is undroppable why did it take so long for him to get into the side at the start of the season.
(03-02-2019, 12:02 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 11:58 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: It's good to see such rational analyses of our current position on this board. It's only football, and there's no point getting all shouty on here.

If Barry is undroppable why did it take so long for him to get into the side at the start of the season.

Because, Brunty was at the time undroppable (having been key in DM's PL matches) and Barry lost his brother at the start of the season.
Bottom line is, in any team at any level nobody should ever be undroppable, just a sign of weak and naive management

Cuzer
Agreed Cuzer.

Everybody lauded the January business (myself included).

No point in signing players if you're not going to play them. The Johansen thing p****d me off last night, royally! Putting Murphy & Montero on bench together was a joke - he was never going to bring both of them on, and then left a different option at home. Ridiculous.
(03-02-2019, 02:00 PM)Ste1987 Wrote: Agreed Cuzer.

Everybody lauded the January business (myself included).

No point in signing players if you're not going to play them. The Johansen thing p****d me off last night, royally! Putting Murphy & Montero on bench together was a joke - he was never going to bring both of them on, and then left a different option at home. Ridiculous.
Spot on this. The make-up of the bench seems to be comparable with the unadventurous substitutions.
(03-02-2019, 12:44 PM)Squid Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:02 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

Because, Brunty was at the time undroppable (having been key in DM's PL matches) and Barry lost his brother at the start of the season.

Then the undroppable was dropped so he wasn't actually undroppable .

To be fair Barry has played well up until the Sheff U game and Moore has tried to rest him when he has an opportunity.

This idea that managers have players they consider undroppable is for the birds.
(03-02-2019, 02:15 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

To be fair Barry has played well up until the Sheff U game and Moore has tried to rest him when he has an opportunity.

This idea that managers have players they consider undroppable is for the birds.

No it isn't. Going right back through the 50 years I've been watching football, there are always examples of players who are the "manager's man" on the pitch. What kept John McGovern or Ian Bowyer in Brian Clough's sides while better players sat on the bench. Mick Martin barely missed a game for John Giles at the Albion. Paul Groves was a fixture for Buckley, despite poor results and serious abuse from the fan-base. It's human nature.

Barry has played badly enough just recently to be left out in favour of Sam Field, or just to leave Livermore as the anchor man. I don't think Darren Moore will do that.
(03-02-2019, 02:40 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:15 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

No it isn't. Going right back through the 50 years I've been watching football, there are always examples of players who are the "manager's man" on the pitch. What kept John McGovern or Ian Bowyer in Brian Clough's sides while better players sat on the bench. Mick Martin barely missed a game for John Giles at the Albion. Paul Groves was a fixture for Buckley, despite poor results and serious abuse from the fan-base. It's human nature.

Barry has played badly enough just recently to be left out in favour of Sam Field, or just to leave Livermore as the anchor man. I don't think Darren Moore will do that.
Barry will be very much favourable to Graeme Jones, due to Everton days. Was the anchor of Everton formation under Martinez.
I think corporal Jones is a big part of the problem imho don't rate him BD needs to bin him and bring Shan back in imho